Sign in to follow this  
Buffalo716

DiMarco (Dabolls Swiss army knife)

Going into game 1 there was a host of people who wanted DiMarco cut, said he doesn't do enough to warrant a spot... Some wanted WR Williams converted to FB lol

Yesterday showed why Dabolls likes and kept him. He lines up all over the field. He lines up in the backfield and blocks, he gets motioned out wide and blocks , he gets motioned out wide and runs routes

Playing FB in the NFL is super physically demanding, it takes a special breed and even Belechick has always utilized a FB

DiMarco offers versatility that not many other in the league offers. He splits out wide and catches passes and he does have good hands. But more importantly, the Bills will be running alot of rub routes and jailbreak screens for Beasley and McKenzie, and DiMarco getting split outwide offers a great blocking matchup with a FB on a CB or safety

That's a mismatch I'll take all day

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 3

I agree. While he’s not flashy, he has a niche  if used properly

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Going into game 1 there was a host of people who wanted DiMarco cut, said he doesn't do enough to warrant a spot... Some wanted WR Williams converted to FB lol

Yesterday showed why Dabolls likes and kept him. He lines up all over the field. He lines up in the backfield and blocks, he gets motioned out wide and blocks , he gets motioned out wide and runs routes

Playing FB in the NFL is super physically demanding, it takes a special breed and even Belechick has always utilized a FB

DiMarco offers versatility that not many other in the league offers. He splits out wide and catches passes and he does have good hands. But more importantly, the Bills will be running alot of rub routes and jailbreak screens for Beasley and McKenzie, and DiMarco getting split outwide offers a great blocking matchup with a FB on a CB or safety

LOL! These comparisons to NE are kinda fun! 👍👍

Other than his 2 catches for like 6 yards I didn’t notice him at all. 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

I noticed him a bunch so I guess it depends what your looking at on a play

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

I think his usage is more complicated than that.  He's out there to dictate the Defense's tendencies and force their personnel.  When he's out there, they are likely to put out an LB.  When they move him out wide, it helps determine if the coverage is man or zone.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Just now, fridge said:

I think his usage is more complicated than that.  He's out there to dictate the Defense's tendencies and force their personnel.  When he's out there, they are likely to put out an LB.  When they move him out wide, it helps determine if the coverage is man or zone.

For a really good explanation, check out Sal C.'s twitter account.  

Any pass you throw to Dimarco is better off going elsewhere. Hard pass.

Edited by CommonCents
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Skeptical 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes. Given they are using him sort of like pats used gronk, I’m ok with it. Has good hands actually.

I prefer the question - is he the guy that should be lining up all over the field? I would rather have someone else be the Dimarco...buy honestly dont worry too much about it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree. While he’s not flashy, he has a niche of used properly

...will have to defer to McD and Daboll....they know what they need and want despite pundits saying "cut".......he never will be a stat guy so that is the wrong criteria to decide his "fit" IMO..

23 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well, yes, and yet....there were a couple plays where he ran a route, and made a catch, but I had the thought that he's about as agile as a front loader and someone else out there would have gotten a few more yards.

But he hauled 'em in, so there's that. 

I hear ya, @Buffalo716, he's the human Leatherman Wave for Daboll

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

I prefer the question - is he the guy that should be lining up all over the field? I would rather have someone else be the Dimarco...buy honestly dont worry too much about it.

...interesting......who would that be and what would be your duties deployment?......just curious...thanks.....

10 minutes ago, fridge said:

You dont need a Dimarco to do that. Plenty of other ways.

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I noticed him a bunch so I guess it depends what your looking at on a play

Some people only look at the stat sheet.  You will notice what was referenced.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, yes, and yet....there were a couple plays where he ran a route, and made a catch, but I had the thought that he's about as agile as a front loader and someone else out there would have gotten a few more yards.

But he hauled 'em in, so there's that

..he'll never be a Sam Gash type Hap but this gang certainly sees a viable role in the offense for him....I'm good with their judgment.............

You dont need a Dimarco to do that. Plenty of other ways.

...so "pony up" with your assessment and recommendation then.............

16 minutes ago, fridge said:

Exactly and not only that - they had a 2WR, 1TE, 1RB, and the full back set going early in the game.  It is a running formation, but then they audible out to a spread formation.  If the LB follows the FB out wide - man coverage and you also pulled a big hitter out of the middle to allow you to run specific crossing routes.  

If the Jets tried to counter with more nickel  personnel- the Bills would have stayed tight and ran the ball.  Same personnel- different plays to force the defense to react.  A great game plan.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...interesting......who would that be and what would be your duties deployment?......just curious...thanks.....

I would prefer having Gore/Singletary in some of those sets. Or use a TE as the Dimarco. You are going for the LB mismatch and I dont see Dimarco v LB as a mismatch. Singletary v LB is a diff story. 

id like to know what he offers that a good blocking te doesnt. lee smith got a good paycheck and seems our te grouping is pretty stacked it would be nice to give smith his duties and let our young te get more reps while opening a roster spot for...i dunno a cb!

but if our offense is better with a fb i guess i cant argue. 

I would prefer having Gore/Singletary in some of those sets. Or use a TE as the Dimarco. You are going for the LB mismatch and I dont see Dimarco v LB as a mismatch. Singletary v LB is a diff story. 

Singletary may not get LB coverage - they may try to cover him with a DB because of what he showed in preseason.  Then you do not get the man vs zone indicator and have to use a different motion.

DiMarco they are going to cover 100% of the time with a LB - so you get the keys. 

I don’t think they believe Dimarco versus a LB is a huge mismatch.  I think they used the formation for other things - especially to limit the LB blitzes Gregg’s could throw and get a read on coverage.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

GTFOH:lol:

The team couldn't get near the end zone for 3 quarters with that dink and dunk ***** and you are celebrating the return of Sam Gash split wide catching a pass that went 25 yards horizontally for 1 ***** yard gain?:doh:

Let me know when that screen game comes together and starts producing TD's..........in the meantime I guess we will have to settle for the 4th quarter being when they do what Allen does best......push the ball downfield and make plays with his legs when defenses are backed off trying to prevent the long ball.

I'm not saying that LEARNING how to run an offense like Brady isn't good for Allen in the long run.........but there is a reason that McD runs a defense that tries to force teams to make lot's of short throws.......because for most passers it's just more opportunity for mistakes.  

And yeah the special breed DiMarco can make not-so-athletic mistakes.......like the ball that went off his face for an interception in the Peterman 5 pic game.   He certainly shouldn't be catching passes outside the hashes unless it's a "gotcha" play like a wheel route.    The first one of those deep outs that he fails to come back for and ends up turning into a pick-six nobody is ever going to want to see him get a ball thrown his way again.

• Meh 1

3 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I could go the rest of my life without watching another pass to DiMarco at wideout.

Kind of reminded me of Kevin Gilbride. He would split Sam Gash out wide and have him run 3-yard outs, on the far hash. 

2 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

id like to know what he offers that a good blocking te doesnt. lee smith got a good paycheck and seems our te grouping is pretty stacked it would be nice to give smith his duties and let our young te get more reps while opening a roster spot for...i dunno a cb!

but if our offense is better with a fb i guess i cant argue. 

Because Lee Smith has spotty hands and DiMarco doenst..

Lee Smith will tell you personally that he hates catching a football and gets off on blocking. DiMarco has displayed solid hands for a FB over 8 seasons

15 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Sweeny? Knox? Anyone with more athletic ability. I don't think having a FB split out wide varies far from it being a TE. He does not present match up issues as most LB's in the NFL can run with him.