A Few Thoughts About the Jets Game, in no particular order

Virgil

28 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It’s really about the lop-sided playcalling to start the game.  I understand being in passing mode, but to not attempt a rush at all on the first few drives doesn’t help the team.  Then, when we does run, it’s power formation.  There was no keeping the defense guessing. 

It was shades of Mike Martz

Yeah, I agree.  How many times in any NFL game, do we see on 3rd and short, teams go to the spread with an empty backfield?  Makes no sense.

Remember the Bills’ K-Gun? Three or four receivers but Thurman in the backfield.  Give it to him and it’s an easy first down as the DBs are busy with receivers while the D-Line doesn’t know whether to pass rush or play the run.

It didn't kill them, but the DiMarco and Lee Smith groupings was stupid throughout the game. We were playing the percentages but the Jets never bit or changed, so the result was, based on the pre-snap read, DiMarco was split out as a receiver against a LB versus against a CB if he wasn't on the field. But that trade off is a loser for the Bills, IMO. The Jets were never worried about the run, so DiMarco was always outside. We were have been much better off playing Foster or Zay or Sweeney instead of DiMarco, and having an extra DB versus LB.

• Like (+1) 1

On playcalling:

I actually said in the week I thought that the right approach early was to come out throwing, use the short passing game and Beasley and co against their linebackers in coverage. And it worked - the first drive we had them on their heels. 

However, after the fumble ended the first drive disappointingly and then starting the second drive backed up with a young QB I thought they should have run it a couple of times. Run, run, pass, punt would have been absolutely fine in that scenario. 

But after that it was like they wanted to prove they were right and the first half was totally lopsided. I don't know what it is with these NFL playcallers but for Nagy's second half on Thursday see Daboll's first half today. It makes it harder than necessary on young guys like Trubisky and Allen who are still finding their way. 

On Allen: 

I thought Josh was decisive and on point in that first drive with some on the money throws to Beasley and Brown. But after that first mistake and being asked to stay throwing I thought he was rattled and the rest of the first half his accuracy was spotty and more worryingly his body language was awful. The second pick was totally on him he just didn't see the guy coming. But you have to give the guy a huge amount of credit for the way he responded in the final quartet and a half and made the plays the Bills needed him to make. There is a lot of improvement still needed but it feels better to need that at 1-0. 

On the defense:

The D is legit and I thought Leslie Frazier who gets a lot of at times undue criticism on these boards had a great game plan. Ed Oliver showed some flashes but needs to improve his consistency. Shaq Lawson played an outstanding game and the improvement we saw from Tremaine Edmunds in the pre-season carried through to the regular season. His lane discipline and fundamentals were much improved on his standard of play in 2018. 

• Like (+1) 3

I am nearly certain. The bills had some runs called but Allen changes to a pass at least three times in that “first 19 “ sequence.   I am happy they are willing to pass first and give Allen the ability to change based on the defense.   Lots of room for improvement but I like what I saw philosophy wise.    They passed to set up the run and it worked.  

2 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I am nearly certain. The bills had some runs called but Allen changes to a pass at least three times in that “first 19 “ sequence.   I am happy they are willing to pass first and give Allen the ability to change based on the defense.   Lots of room for improvement but I like what I saw philosophy wise.    They passed to set up the run and it worked.  

More than three. I think at least six. Almost everytime they moved before the snap it was very likely a binary choice for Allen, and if the Jets line up one way we run the play. If they line up another way, we switch to a pass. It never seemed like he was changing the play at the LOS after just about to run it. The just assumed the Jets would line up a certain way, and they did, which led to the passes. But I would bet that half of those 19 playes were called as runs with the binary choice built in.

Its funny because you see the oposing team make some plays, complete a bunch of passes, most of them being the short 2-10 yard variety with the Bills keeping things in front of them and then rallying to make the tackles and at the end of the game you look at the box score and the Jets have 224 yards of total offense.

This happened a lot last year too....where the Bills hold teams to well under 300 yards and sometimes even under 200 yards...the point is they may get a few broken tackles and get some first downs but they don't get very many of them in a row before punting usually.

• Like (+1) 1

Allen is a weird player for this fan base man. There’s an odd emotional connection. He played absolutely terrible today. 

At at some point it can’t always be the HC, OC, OL, WR, and RB’s. The dude had a sh*tty day where he looked like the same exact player as last year in regards to accuracy/precision. Can’t we just call a spade a spade every once in a while man. 

He sucked today. It happens sometimes. If it keeps happening, he’ll be out of a job and we will search for a new QB . That’s the honest appraisal of the day. Not “he kept trying after 3.5 quarters of bad football, here is my feel good MVP”.

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Allen is a weird player for this fan base man. There’s an odd emotional connection. He played absolutely terrible today. 

At at some point it can’t always be the HC, OC, OL, WR, and RB’s. The dude had a sh*tty day where he looked like the same exact player as last year in regards to accuracy/precision. Can’t we just call a spade a spade every once in a while man. 

He sucked today. It happens sometimes. If it keeps happening, he’ll be out of a job and we will search for a new QB . That’s the honest appraisal of the day. Not “he kept trying after 3.5 quarters of bad football, here is my feel good MVP”.

I wouldnt say he played terrible...he had some poor plays especially in the first half. But at the end of the day he made the plays to bring the team back in the 2nd half.

You want to know who had a terrible day? Baker Mayfield...HE had a terrible day...

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I wouldnt say he played terrible...he had some poor plays especially in the first half. But at the end of the day he made the plays to bring the team back in the 2nd half.

You want to know who had a terrible day? Baker Mayfield...HE had a terrible day...

He looked like he was trying to throw the game away out of frustration at one point in the third quarter.

A very bad showing against what is widely considered a bottom 5 secondary in the NFL, should be considered borderline terrible. 

Edited by Mango

39 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think that the first 15-20 plays being passes is a little over-played. It looked to me that Josh was given a binary choice on half of them. If the Jets line up one way it’s a run; if they line up another it’s a pass. And the Jets kept doing what they were doing. 

I agree.. It looked like Josh audibled into a lot of those passes.  And it was working... Until the fumble.

My issue with the first half game plan, was they needed to push the ball down field more.  It was a lot of short field play that the Jets were catching on to.

11 minutes ago, Mango said:

I wouldnt say he had a a great day but he wasnt terrible even though he had some terrible plays. Josh shows he has what it takes to lead 4th quarter come backs. He may never be elite but I feel he will keep progressing and be the Bills QB for the next ten years. 

14 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don't think he sucked. He made some nice throws. Beasley didn't help much dropping/deflecting passes. I'd just like to see them use his strength and throw some deep passes. Keep teams honest

17 minutes ago, Mango said:

I have to say, I've recently stepped back and watched other NFL QBs throw a bit, when it comes to micro-analyzing Allen's accuracy. 

His accuracy was absolutely fine today and not an issue. He made a few questionable decisions and had a few bounces go the wrong way - less than half the batted passes of Darnold, only he had two deflect into Jets hands and all of Darnold's hit the turf. 

I mean, people were mad that his throw was slightly to Beasley's left when Beasley volley-ball-served it up to Mosley. And there was Dak on screen, with a wide open TE with no players within 10 yards of him, and the guy had to completely pivot his hips the other way against the grain to catch the football before waltzing in for a TD. This forum would have lit Josh up for placement like that, and here we are ignoring quite a few dimes from the pocket from Josh, stuff we would have killed to see before the game, stuff we saw more today than all of last year combined. Other QBs are allowed throws like that, while Josh often gets shredded. 

Edited by arcane
  • Thank you (+1) 3