is the patriots current wr group the best in NFL history?

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

is the patriots current wr group the best in NFL history?

Possibly but we will never know because AB is going to explode and tear down that locker room because Edelman got more looks than him. Then call him and Brady crackers then this whole thing blows up.  ? 

3 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Josh Gordon and DT are still good receivers, but they are not nearly the impact players they were at their height. Edelman might be getting long in the tooth as well, not to mention Brady. I don't expect a big change to their basic offensive philosophy.

Im not sure we know whether Gordon will be impactful. He very well could return to form. He’s 28.

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

Probably, in terms of raw talent because it's three top level guys. But one or both of Gordon and Brown will flame out before the end of the season. History tells us that. Josh Gordon hasn't played a full season since 2013 and Brown has quit on two teams this calendar year. So I would probably take Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison or Issac Bruce and Tory Holt. Or for that matter Swan and Stallworth in Pittsburgh or Clayton and Duper in Miami. 

It's a highly volatile group of WR that could totally implode, but their upside could be all time great.  Josh Gordon is a beast, and possibly best WR in NFL when he plays.  Antonio is a diva and a head case,  but elite.  No matter how it plays out,  it should be entertaining.  

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Im not sure we know whether Gordon will be impactful. He very well could return to form. He’s 28.

It may be the O he is in now but I haven't seen in NE the explosive game breaking ability that was his trademark in Cleveland. I've seen Hogan make bigger plays so I think it's him. Maybe the years of termoil have taken a toll. That often happens. I guess we will see. Actually I wish him the best (except against the Bills). I never saw him as a bad actor. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

2000 Rams - Holt, Bruce

1989 49ers - Rice, Taylor

1998 Vikings - Carter, Moss

2004 Colts - Harrison, Wayne

1991 Bills - Reed, Lofton, Beebe

2007 Patriots - Moss, Welker

2005 Cardinals - Fitzgerald, Boldin

2010 Packers - Jennings, Nelson

This year alone I'd take multiple groups over theirs:

Falcons: Jones, Ridley, Sanu

Browns: Beckham, Landry

Rams: Cooks, Kupp, Woods

Texans: Hopkins, Fuller, Stills

Vikings: Thielen, Diggs

Earlier

Dale, Dowler

Rentzel, Hayes

Garrison, Bambi

Maynard, Sauer

Branch, Belitnikoff

again, impossible to compare eras. But at least all these tandoms have, you know, PLAYED together..?

3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Yes and he'll say there can't be a penalty for taking off your helmet on the field of play - because he wasn't wearing one.  

And many will say “he’s right, you know!”  7 will be wearing black and white striped uniforms, and one other has the initials ‘RG’.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

22 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

It may be the O he is in now but I haven't seen in NE the explosive game breaking ability that was his trademark in Cleveland. I've seen Hogan make bigger plays so I think it's him. Maybe the years of termoil have taken a toll. That often happens. I guess we will see. Actually I wish him the best (except against the Bills). I never saw him as a bad actor. 

Dude was traded mid September and didn’t finish the season and had 40 catches at 18.0 per catch.

his career average is 17.4 and highest in the league

I suspect walking into an offense hes familiar with will help with explosion as he will be working in a more complete playbook, more rhythm with Brady etc... as is he was on pace for a pretty darn good season despite being a mid season trade coming off a bad situation in Cleveland. 

Just now, NoSaint said:

Dude was traded mid September and didn’t finish the season and had 40 catches at 18.0 per catch.

his career average is 17.4 and highest in the league

I suspect walking into an offense hes familiar with will help with explosion as he will be working in a more complete playbook, more rhythm with Brady etc... as is he was on pace for a pretty darn good season despite being a mid season trade coming off a bad situation in Cleveland. 

Yup. And having AB in the fold can only help. They are both capable of stretching the field (assuming they both see it) and if Gordon hasn't lost a step he's even a tad faster plus 5 inches taller. So he could wind up looking a bit like Randy Moss did though maybe with fewer targets. He's obviously twice the receiver Hogan ever was and is easily a 1000 yard contributor this year. And at 28 he's still in his prime. He was the best receiver in the game. If he's still at that level he will have to show me though.

28 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Earlier

Dale, Dowler

Rentzel, Hayes

Garrison, Bambi

Maynard, Sauer

Branch, Belitnikoff

again, impossible to compare eras. But at least all these tandoms have, you know, PLAYED together..?

I highly doubt, even in this era of passing, that the Pats receivers will be anywhere near even the top 50 most productive receiver groups.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

I highly doubt, even in this era of passing, that the Pats receivers will be anywhere near even the top 50 most productive receiver groups.

Well most productive and best aren’t always the same. 

Sheer talent and pedigree it’s hard to top but will be volatile for sure and I don’t think the pats suddenly become run and gun on offense