Antonio Brown called Mike Mayock a “cracker” during Wednesday’s altercation

wppete

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

So explain to me why the n word can be used by black people directed to other black people without offense? The word itself isn’t offensive. 

Here’s why I know you’re wrong:

How someone is offended is not dependent on what is said. Someone can insult me in a way that offends me deeply, but wouldn’t offend you. The words themselves are just words. The intent, and the context are what makes them offensive, and that offense is dictated by the interpretation of the one being insulted. 

If my wife calls me an idiot, I get hurt. If DCTom calls me an idiot, I take pride in it. 

It's simple. AB didn't say or imply or mean that Mayock is subhuman, or white people are not human. But that is what the history of the n-word is. It's an entirely different concept.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's simple. AB didn't say or imply or mean that Mayock is subhuman, or white people are not human. But that is what the history of the n-word is. It's an entirely different concept.

Okay, so you’re saying this:

1- any time a black person calls another black person the N word, they’re saying they’re subhuman.

2- Browns intention of calling Mayock a slave owner, does not attack Mayocks humanity as a professional doing his job with no racist intent.

it’s not simple- you’re wrong. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...WHOA!!!...Drew claims AB wants a good relationship with the Raiders...now Drew is a pretty honest (COUGH) guy, right??..........

Antonio Brown wants a good relationship with the Raiders, Drew Rosenhaus says

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 6, 2019, 10:53 AM EDT

The agent for Raiders wide receiver Antonio Brown is continuing to work toward salvaging the relationship between his client and the team.

Drew Rosenhaus said on ESPN this morning that although Brown and Raiders General Manager Mike Mayock did have a run-in, there’s no reason team and player can’t coexist.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/06/antonio-brown-wants-a-good-relationship-with-the-raiders-drew-rosenhaus-says/

Mr Rosenhaus, having already watched his 10% or whatever of AB's "participation-linked" roster bonus grow wings and flitter away like a little birdie 'cuz his client didn't hit the 85% mark, now perceives his 3% of that $30M guaranteed salary to be teetering on the brink of a flowing drain.

He is spinning like a top to try to avoid this.

It might even be true that AB wants to play football and doesn't want to "crap where he eats".  I think the problem is he has no filter and no impulse control and can't stop himself.

Maybe he needs the meds that turn Incognito into a functional player.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah, I can see that. But it is still a racially motivated derogatory term. It is a double standard no matter how you slice it.

Until the Milwaukee Braves moved to Atlanta in the 1960s Atlanta had a minor league team named the Atlanta Crackers.  Even more interesting was there was an Atlanta team in the Negr0 Leagues called the Atlanta Black Crackers:   https://sabr.org/research/atlanta-black-crackers

Atlanta’s baseball history is dominated by names such as Hank Aaron, John Smoltz, Greg Maddux, Dale Murphy, and Chipper Jones. The Braves also dominated their division in the 1990s, but that is only a small part of Atlanta’s long and storied baseball history. Anyone can look up the history of the Braves and their players to learn more. A lesser-known part of the diamond tale goes back to the days when America was segregated. Atlanta had a significant black population who had to entertain themselves separately. In part due to the pervasive Jim Crow laws, black baseball in Atlanta flourished on the sandlots and local diamonds. Only one local team really made it to the big time, the Atlanta Black Crackers, who played in the city off and on from 1919 to 1949. The Black Crackers took their name from the white Atlanta Crackers squad, hoping to benefit from their popularity and name recognition. This part of the story of Atlanta’s baseball needs to be taken out of the shadows and added to the city’s story. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I tend to disagree with the conclusion here and don't quite see how you get there.

I'm with you on the history of the n-word.  But the flip side of a group being treated as lesser humans, is that ...someone is treating them that way.  Calling someone a "(whip) cracker" seems to me to be an entirely related concept.  It may not be denigrating their humanity, but it's denigrating a whole lot of other things about them....their moral values, their treatment of other human beings and so on.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

But the issue is still the racist intent. N- word can be used without racist intent (as evidence by the black communities that use it as a term of endearment- not that I understand that). Brown likely meant cracker as a slur, thus its offensive and just as bad as any other slur.

It's stupid and insensitive, and discrimination always will be stupid and insensitive.

Like it or not, terms that carry along with them the stigma of being used as part of centuries of discrimination are going to be viewed as much more inflammatory than words of a similar ilk that describe groups that haven't faced centuries of discrimination.

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Okay, so you’re saying this:

1- any time a black person calls another black person the N word, they’re saying they’re subhuman.

2- Browns intention of calling Mayock a slave owner, does not attack Mayocks humanity as a professional doing his job with no racist intent.

it’s not simple- you’re wrong. 

Black guy to another black guy isn't saying that. Words have different meanings in different contexts. Cracker means very little. The guy who replaced Mike Rodak, Marcel Louis-Jacques is a good reporter and good follow on Twitter and speaks out about stuff like this. When someone just said something about the double-standard he said, " Brown shouldn't have said it. But show me the centuries of oppression and disregard for life that word brings to mind, and I'll be more sympathetic to your proposed double standard "

Just now, thebandit27 said:

It's stupid and insensitive, and discrimination always will be stupid and insensitive.

Like it or not, terms that carry along with them the stigma of being used as part of centuries of discrimination are going to be viewed as much more inflammatory than words of a similar ilk that describe groups that haven't faced centuries of discrimination.

If the term itself is evil, why do black people call each other N?

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

If the term itself is evil, why do black people call each other N?

Honestly? I don't know...and I don't care.

Back in college, my closest friend was black, and he used to call me that word on occasion (it always had the "a" ending, for whatever that's worth).  I always found it odd (and somewhat uncomfortable only because I didn't know how to react).

But I never questioned it because he seemed totally comfortable with doing it from time to time.

Edited by thebandit27

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's great, where is it from?

Not sure of the actual movie itself (I do recognize actor as Harvey Korman though), but here's the GIPHY link:

https://giphy.com/gifs/reactionseditor-reaction-3ohzdUlmtcK1g11VfO

EDIT: found it--Blazing Saddles pie fight scene:

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

10 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Cracker is fine.

Cracker ass B word is stepping over the line.

Since AB didn’t step over the line, all is well.

thats like calling a black guy a n!gger and saying, its ok i didn't say it a certain way.

And i bet Brown had ill intentions when he said it.

we have been brainwashed into thinking one word is the worst ever and one is ok because white people deserve it because of "entitlement" and the cause of the worlds problems.

• Like (+1) 2