Watching Allen last night...

bills6969

12 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

I personally thought he was terrible last night-indecisive, slow release, weak arm, inaccurate. Clearly looked like a camp body to me. We are talking about the Panthers QB, right? ?

You got me. Kudos!!!

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Thank you.  I’m not knocking Allen. I loved some of the throws he made.  It’s just that everything in preseason should be taken with major grains of salt,

I think you and others might be missing a critical point. It’s not about others lighting up the preseason and then sucking anyways. Not about comparing his preseason to anyone else’s.... it’s about if he’s progressed with his game. Was he making these throws last preseason? Did he look this comfortable?

im 100% on board with the preseason being fairly meaningless and you just need to not look BAD.  But with that being said, I think we can all see marked improvement from season 1 to season 2 as he wasn’t playing like this last offseason. Put all the other preseason crap aside. Does it look like he’s improved? I think that’s a resounding “YES”. And I think that’s a reason to be excited as even when he came in green as hell the team was 5-6 with him Basically being baptized by fire.... any real significant improvement from Allen could easily mean 9-11 wins for the team this year. 

He needs to be compared to his younger version. Nothing else. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I think you’d be hard pressed to come up with a worse situation than what we created for Allen last year.

id also say a WR group of Sammy, woods, Goodwin, and still taking swings at guys like harvin, and mike Williams wasn’t exactly throwing their hands up. Their was a stretch where we had invested multiple 1s, a 2, a 3 and some low round picks in addition to free agent targets (or guys like clay).

I agree with you with respect to on-field talent; coaching resources are a totally different story. Culley may not have been the right guy, but at least they formally had a QB coach on staff in Allen’s rookie season. And you get the sense they’re overseeing the offseason work with Palmer. It feels like there’s at least a blueprint to maximize his development from a coaching perspective, which I don’t recall being the case (or at least feeling like that was the case) with other rookie QBs of the recent past. 

22 hours ago, macaroni said:

My favorite J.A. stat from last night was 1 yard rushing. It looks to me like the coaching staff has told him in no uncertain terms to NOT run the ball, but to take the "safety valve" pass.

The reason it's my favorite stat is that Josh didn't get frazzled that a big part of his game has been taken away, he's taking those short throws and moving the chains. I do believe that once the season starts, Josh will start to occasionally take off and run when the situation dictates, but it won't be the major part of his game. IMHO last season Josh tried to play too much "hero ball" either trying to throw the bomb, or run the ball. It looks to me that THIS season he will concentrate on moving the chains and sprinkling a run or long pass here and there.

IMHO the coaching staff is FORCING Josh to become comfortable throwing the short stuff to the slot receiver and running backs, and last night seemed to show Josh is starting to take to the philosophy. 

Allen’s “hero ball” was also a by-product of rarely having a safety valve or at the very least, having little confidence a short pattern would be open. It’s very likely Allen was instructed not to run but he also now has receivers who could get separation.  Brady is one of the best all-time but he consistently has (wide) open receivers. The pressure on Allen is to read the defense and find the open receiver and make the correct decision. Last season was “go long” and if not there take off into the open field. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He took two sacks because he stayed put.

That's because Carolina's D-Linemen are unblockable; just ask them.

Also going to follow-on and say if Allen in either game looked like Mahomes on Saturday this place would be > 3.6 Roentgens.

Edited by Ralonzo

23 hours ago, qwksilver said:

He reminds me more like Favre than Rodgers. I know there is a clip out there where Holmgren says something like "no more rocket balls please". I could see Mcd saying it to Allen as they try to reign him in.

He looked fantastic last night.

I've had this same thought several times.    While Allen has a looooooooong way to go to become Favre's equal he has a lot of the same tendencies.    Allen is undoubtedly more athletic and may have a bigger arm.    What makes me think if Favre is that they tend to start the game slowly.    They're a little jacked up, throws tend to be a little high etc.

Let's hope his career follows the same curve!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Also going to follow-on and say if Allen on Thursday looked like Mahomes on Saturday this place would be > 3.6 Roentgens.

Mahomes stat line Sat vs Steelers

2-5 11 yd 47.9 QBR 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 8/17/2019 at 12:12 PM, ScottLaw said:

Greggo is guna bring the heat Week 1.

This, to me, is a big key to our coming season.

Coming into year two, the biggest improvement areas I have wanted in Josh Allen are:

- Speed in processing and recognizing defenses. Despite how much fun he was to watch last year, he was slow (no slight intended. - he was a "project" rookie) to see what the defense was doing. This, as much as his rediculous athletecism, contributed to his hero ball style.

- A willingness to take what is available. I saw too many instances of Allen passing up the open five-yarder, looking for bigger plays.

We're seeing both. His performance, both in practice and games to date, merit great optimism. However, this is against vanilla defenses at preseason speed. When schemed against, when facing multiple and exotic blitzes at full speed, will he be in control? I am hopeful, but we will see.

This is what makes the Jets opener big to me.

On 8/17/2019 at 11:06 AM, MJS said:

He's very calm out there. I think as things keep slowing down for him he'll continue to make better and better decisions.

Teams are going to start taking away Cole Beasley, so I hope the other WR's can step up and get separation and make catches.

They will try. Teams have tried to take Edelman away too.

How... drop linebackers? Ok take the 4-5 yard run.

Bring down safety?  Ok- one of the outside WRs is single covered.

beasely is either a mismatch for a linebacker or forces the d into nickel. 

It is preseason and we have not seen barely any blitz/zone blitz.

Greggo and other D-coordinators are going to definitely test Allen, his protections, and hot read tendencies.

IMO there are a couple of things Daboll should do based on what we have seen through practices and scrimmage games to date.

• Allen's early "jitters" - I have seen this term used and I believe it is entirely misplaced. Those rushed throws and early timing issues are not jitters. Jitters happen to guys that are scared. Allen is a competitor through and through so what you are seeing is the pent up adrenaline of a competitor.
    • Design some early roll outs perhaps with Beasley on a z-drag/dig route. It wont net much, but getting Allen's feet moving right out of the gate should level out his early performance and throws as well as remind defenses that he has wheels. At the same time it moves the pocket where d-coordinators will be focusing the rush early to set the tone as an unsafe place to be.
  • Cadence - change it up more: Have Josh use all the clock sometimes with some hard counts to help diagnose protections and coverage, go quick count a few times or direct snap to McCoy, whatever it takes to mix it up.
    • Not sure why, but last year the cadence they had Allen use did not vary much so d-linemen were jumping the count and creating havoc. Was this because our o-line had so many false starts they were trying to simplify the count?  ... if so, if would be a sad testament to how bush league that o-line performance really was.
  • Similar to cadence, but maybe use the 2 minute drill early to keep substitutions and elaborate blitz packages to a minimum and do not be afraid to run the ball to slow that pass rush down.

Speaking of adrenaline, man I cannot wait for this season to begin.

Last year, even when Allen f'd it up, it never was because he lost his cool.  He just f'd it up like a rookie.  It just seemed like he needed the experience, and the requisite supporting players, to be successful.

Watching him in these last two preseason games: he seems completely under control.  Finding Beasley and taking what the defense gives.  Now, granted, so much easier in preseason, but still: he and the coaching staff have obviously made it a priority for him to become more efficient with the short/medium yard gains.  To take a positive play when it is offered.

So far, so good.  How could it be more positive really?  Yeah, sure, pump the brakes, but why?  I say: Allen is cruising nicely along at the speed limit, and is showing he knows when to accelerate and pass in the fast lane.  Just like any excellent driver/QB should.

43 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

They will try. Teams have tried to take Edelman away too.

How... drop linebackers? Ok take the 4-5 yard run.

Bring down safety?  Ok- one of the outside WRs is single covered.

beasely is either a mismatch for a linebacker or forces the d into nickel. 

Sounds great if you have the best QB of all time making decisions out there and the best coach of all time to prepare the team.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Sounds great if you have the best QB of all time making decisions out there and the best coach of all time to prepare the team.

Don't forget the extra helmet radio and videotaping.

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

They weren’t always the best of all time.

Once one was a defensive coordinator and the other was a late round scrub. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

21 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Thank you.  I’m not knocking Allen. I loved some of the throws he made.  It’s just that everything in preseason should be taken with major grains of salt,

Totally agree with you so not knocking your statement but have you see the sticky, sweet love the Pats 3rd QB is getting from his performance last night?  against the Titan's 'bagboys' no less?

i think we should all exercize measured excitement but it's everywhere...