Watching Allen last night...

bills6969

I always considered myself a straight man, but then Joshua Allen came along and filled me

with such excitement that I started to doubt myself. Then I realised I just really like him as a player and it doesn't make me any less of a man. But I tell you what, if he carries on getting extremely hard

earned runs like last season and combines them with some long TDs, I think I may just come

round to the idea of creating my own Josh Allen fan club

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

His Mechanics have greatly improved. Here is to hoping they don’t revert come real Bullets flying 

If we keep up the protection and give him time, that should help A LOT! Last year’s line was the type of thing that could ruin a guy over 2-3 seasons. 

Edited by Augie

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

If we keep up the protection and give him time, that should help A LOT! Last year’s lone was the type of thing that could ruin a guy over 2-3 seasons. 

Yes but even in a clean pocket at times his Mechanics were atrocious last season. Now seeing proper ball placement touch on passes. His feet are smooth from base up looks completely different. 

His Processing time is faster as well. But I think that was always going to be expected once the game slowed down for him and started seeing things pre snap 

Edited by MAJBobby

6 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I could more see one of the receivers getting traded, possibly even could become Zay if they are looking for a larger return.  We have a glut of WR at the 5th thru about 8th spots.  The other one could also become trade bait is Foster.  Not sure how much of a step up it is from say McKenzie/Ray-Ray to Foster.  May be Foster just needs too much motivation all the time to become worth keeping.

Step up is huge IMO. McKenzie's just the bare minimum you want at WR.. just looked good last year playing next to worse than the minimum. Foster is an actual weapon with a lot of versatility to boot.

I'd prefer we didn't trade a WR. Depth at the position is great, we don't know for sure who will get the majority of targets, and the group was so bad last year, I still want to see if it's going to be servicable with 2 FA's added..  and I don't really see any great trade value in these guys as of now anyway.

I want to see a true WR1 pan out.. so I'm all for throwing **** at the wall and seeing who sticks, and if it's not Foster, then I don't really see anyone else having the ceiling Foster looks like he has currently. I'd be really ticked if we traded him haha.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes but even in a clean pocket at times his Mechanics were atrocious last season. Now seeing proper ball placement touch on passes. His feet are smooth from base up looks completely different. 

His Processing time is faster as well. But I think that was always going to be expected once the game slowed down for him and started seeing things pre snap 

A full offseason working on being a QB without all the distractions of the draft and being a 1st round pick has really helped

Just now, Warcodered said:

A full offseason working on being a QB without all the distractions of the draft and being a 1st round pick has really helped

Yeah and I think that is the exact reason most 2nd year QBs make a huge jump after year one. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes, you expect growth from year to year. Last year, even with a decent pocket.........the play before and the play after he was under fire. Hard to judge a guy when he never knows when he’s going to get a fair chance to play it the right way.  Make improvements in mechanics AND reading the field....all while feeling safe back there.

I’m not making excuses, just hoping he can settle down and grow this year without all the duress. Give him a chance, and pray he puts it together with some help. (Beasley can be huge in his development, IMO. I’m re-watching now as replay was so late last night.)

Please Josh, make the Big Leap! 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It was supposed to link to the 3rd preseason against the Steelers where Manuel was throwing dimes.  I could do this for a million average to below average qbs.  Then the season starts, and it’s completely different.  

I was at that game, Manuel looked phenomenal. Making all the throws, inside, outside, short, deep, dropping it in between levels, the whole smorgasbord.

You're scaring me.

At least Kouandjio not being able to block anyone wasn't an illusion.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Agree.  And I think the hero ball was just carryover from college, where he had no talent around him.  He didn't have much talent around him last year, either.  More talent this year; more options.  I loved his decisiveness and also loved that he only ran when the pocket crumbled.  He showed much better touch on the shorter passes and did not force the ball down the field.  It's clear that he's spent a lot of time correcting the mistakes (rookie mistakes) that he made last year.

Looks like we finally have a QB with a solid work ethic AND solid talent.  Should be exciting to watch for many years to come.

It’s also nice to see the team putting the right resources in place to develop a young QB instead of throwing their hands to the sky as they sacrificed another one to the meat grinder on the way to drafting his replacement.

• Like (+1) 1

The thing that stood out most to me last night, was Allen's touch on his passes. That 20 yard toss to Sweeney was a thing of beauty. Just lofted it up there perfectly. Never woulda happened last year. He has also seemed to take some of the zip off his short passes. Every pass to Beasley wasn't zipped in there so hard that he couldn't handle it. I think between his maturity and working with Rex has helped him immensely. This kid could be really special if he keeps this up. I'm sure he will have his games where the trolls will be out in force, but I love what I see. He is a very smart kid and is open minded enough to take in all the advice he is given. His brain is a sponge. That is something I'm not sure Darnold or Rosen have. We may have hit the motherlode. 

Oh wait, it's only pre-season. Never mind. 

32 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

I was at that game, Manuel looked phenomenal. Making all the throws, inside, outside, short, deep, dropping it in between levels, the whole smorgasbord.

You're scaring me.

At least Kouandjio not being able to block anyone wasn't an illusion.

Thank you.  I’m not knocking Allen. I loved some of the throws he made.  It’s just that everything in preseason should be taken with major grains of salt,

7 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

I'm very interested in what Knox can do. Sweeney has some nice hands and adequate mobility after the catch. No one knows anything about Knox so I am ready to explore that. Could Sweeney lead to a Smith cut? I hope so 

Maybe they'll put Kroft on the PUP list, keeping Smith, Knox, and Sweeney?

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If Allen is accurate on 50% of his 20+ yard passes he'll be top 5 in the league at deep accuracy:

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-most-accurate-nfl-quarterbacks-by-pass-depth-in-2018

So no, he will not make that throw 70-80% of the time once he is facing real defenses.

And it isn't just about accuracy. It's his ability to anticipate the window and take advantage of the defense biting on the short throw. You honestly think Manuel was ever capable of that?

Manuel occasionally looked like he could be decent. Allen occasionally looks like he could be a Hall of Famer. There is no comparison between the two.

I was neither truly comparing the two or using real numbers. I think you got caught in the trees and missed the forest with my last post

they can all make tough throws sometimes. Doing just a tiny bit better can be the difference between a bust and hof 

Edited by NoSaint

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

EJ never looked that good against 1st stringers in preseason.

The first preseason game of the Marrone era was against the Colts and the Bills came out in no huddle with EJ the rookie and looked great.    This board was giddy as hell.   You guys are just too concussed from decades of losing.   Short term memories are gone.   Can only remember the 90's and earlier.:lol:

9 hours ago, macaroni said:

My favorite J.A. stat from last night was 1 yard rushing. It looks to me like the coaching staff has told him in no uncertain terms to NOT run the ball, but to take the "safety valve" pass.

The reason it's my favorite stat is that Josh didn't get frazzled that a big part of his game has been taken away, he's taking those short throws and moving the chains. I do believe that once the season starts, Josh will start to occasionally take off and run when the situation dictates, but it won't be the major part of his game. IMHO last season Josh tried to play too much "hero ball" either trying to throw the bomb, or run the ball. It looks to me that THIS season he will concentrate on moving the chains and sprinkling a run or long pass here and there.

IMHO the coaching staff is FORCING Josh to become comfortable throwing the short stuff to the slot receiver and running backs, and last night seemed to show Josh is starting to take to the philosophy. 

He took two sacks because he stayed put.

2 hours ago, transient said:

It’s also nice to see the team putting the right resources in place to develop a young QB instead of throwing their hands to the sky as they sacrificed another one to the meat grinder on the way to drafting his replacement.

I think you’d be hard pressed to come up with a worse situation than what we created for Allen last year.

id also say a WR group of Sammy, woods, Goodwin, and still taking swings at guys like harvin, and mike Williams wasn’t exactly throwing their hands up. Their was a stretch where we had invested multiple 1s, a 2, a 3 and some low round picks in addition to free agent targets (or guys like clay).

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The first preseason game of the Marrone era was against the Colts and the Bills came out in no huddle with EJ the rookie and looked great.    This board was giddy as hell.   You guys are just too concussed from decades of losing.   Short term memories are gone.   Can only remember the 90's and earlier.:lol:

Your ex can do no right and the new girl does no wrong when you are in the honeymoon phase. 

Who knows, this could be the one... but definitely some fans caught up in the lust for getting some new. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1