Article: Today's NFL Would Have Been Perfect for Doug Flutie

21 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I’m sitting here, on Vaca, chilling and bored.

I just read this whole 5 page thread and no one pointed out this stat.

Rushing League Ranking

1998 1 in attempts.  3 in yards

1999. 2 in attempts. 8 in yards

Flutie had an arm that seemed to get weaker as the season went on.

He threw more balls into the ground, short of his open receivers than any Bills QB I can think of other than Feragamo.

As someone pointed out, he couldn’t throw the 10 yard out because of his lack of arm. 

Also, that stupid jump/ spin fake.

Those teams won based on D and Ground / Ball control offense. Flutie could manage a game. He couldn’t win a playoff game and he certainly wouldn’t have won us a Super Bowl.

You are a wise and wonderful human being.

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Flutie is at about the level of Ryan Fitzpatrick as an NFL QB.   

13 hours ago, Gugny said:

Comparing Flutie to Wilson is silly.  And comparing Wilson to Fitzpatrick might even be sillier. 

Yeesh.......your shtick is so boring..........I gotta' waive ya'........it's not fair to the others I have on block.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Easy to avoid the sack when Antowain Smith is holding the ball....

Seattle lead the NFL in rushing yards and finished second in attempts in 2018.............and yet Wilson got sacked 51 times.

Flutie was just extraordinarily elusive behind the LOS.

• Like (+1) 1

i will admit i hated flutie, but quickly came around to how rob johnson had a mental problem with taking sacks, they were both very good at some things and just horrible at others.

that D was disgusting and a win in Tennessee would have lead to an on the road super bowl run and victory.

I started watching game of thrones again (with my wife who had never seen it).  going back over the old seasons and seeing what happened to the characters i root for is EXACTLY like going back and watching some of these old bills games.  IT DIDN'T HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS!!

also, russ will is somewhat similar to flutie, but much much much better.

43 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeesh.......your shtick is so boring..........I gotta' waive ya'........it's not fair to the others I have on block.

Seattle lead the NFL in rushing yards and finished second in attempts in 2018.............and yet Wilson got sacked 51 times.

Flutie was just extraordinarily elusive behind the LOS.

Man, I guess Tim Graham never left, after all!!

You call it a shtick because I'm pointing out an asinine comparison that you made.  And that might taint your self-administered label as a self-proclaimed football expert who knows more than anyone on the board.

I'm sorry I bruised your ego.

Block away.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

He'd probably be a lot like Lamar Jackson. Flutie was more savvy, but less athletic. The article is overly simplistic IMO.

On 7/8/2019 at 12:18 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

He was a cancer BEFORE that.

Look it up.

It was all about Doug. 

On 7/10/2019 at 1:19 PM, Stank_Nasty said:

I really shouldn't have watched that.... ???

who throws that freaking flag there?!?!?

I think the Jefferson "reception" was an even more egregious error than the PI call. They NEVER throw that flag, but Jones did interfere. I'm not even sure Jefferson had ONE foot in bounds, let alone past the sticks. Ridiculous.

That reel also triggered my anger at the highlights during the Flutie era. A little razzle dazzle! A two yard shuffle pass that didn't lead to a first down. The Moulds TD was ALL him. He was something else in his prime. They pretty much never showed negative Flutie plays, which were plentiful, nor did they give credit to a dominant defense. The highlights they'd show had NOTHING to do with the Bills and everything to do with the original St. Doug; just they way he likes it.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

Honestly, today's NFL lineman and LBs are so much bigger and faster now that Flutie would be injured all the time after taking hits. Let's not kid ourselves. The game he played required him to be much more elusive than the defense. I don't know that he would be anymore.

On 7/8/2019 at 11:56 PM, Gugny said:

You bring the potus into it, then plea that the thread doesn't get political ... even though it had nothing political before your post.  Bizarre.

Bizarre is my middle name.....as it is for quite a few of us here.....

Flutie was a winner in college, cfl, and nfl. I’ll always be grateful for the success he helped us to have during his tenure. Never have understood the dislike some have for him on this board

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/13/2019 at 11:27 AM, Locomark said:

Honestly, today's NFL lineman and LBs are so much bigger and faster now that Flutie would be injured all the time after taking hits. Let's not kid ourselves. The game he played required him to be much more elusive than the defense. I don't know that he would be anymore.

Tremaine would be a real problem for a Flutie, as an example 

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 12:32 PM, Rocket94 said:

What was it...1998 and the Bills started 0-3? Flutie was way huge and very instrumental in the Bills resurgence. I believe they rallied to win the next five games. All he did was make plays for two years or so until teams caught on.

I just watched the Music City Miracle game again and was shocked by the seemingly inept performance by our leadership. They started Johnson against a team that was great at pass rushing which Johnson could not handle at all. Then in second half the finally put Sam Gash in and we started hammering them. I really loved that team, the defense was awesome, the old stars were still there, A. Smith was a bulldozer. My question is, for anyone, was Ralph Wilson ever actually confirmed to have made the decision to start Johnson? I have heard that, but was wondering if there was proof about that?

Thanks in advance.

31 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I just watched the Music City Miracle game again and was shocked by the seemingly inept performance by our leadership. They started Johnson against a team that was great at pass rushing which Johnson could not handle at all. Then in second half the finally put Sam Gash in and we started hammering them. I really loved that team, the defense was awesome, the old stars were still there, A. Smith was a bulldozer. My question is, for anyone, was Ralph Wilson ever actually confirmed to have made the decision to start Johnson? I have heard that, but was wondering if there was proof about that?

Thanks in advance.

The game bothered me for many of the same reasons that you have pointed out. I think after the game, Wade Phillips took quite a bit of heat for starting Johnson. I have heard over the years that Ralph Wilson insisted that Johnson start. To this day, I don't really know if this is true. Sorry it has been twenty years. One more thing to point out...many have argued that the Bills did have the lead and if not for that play...

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Thanks in advance.

12 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

The game bothered me for many of the same reasons that you have pointed out. I think after the game, Wade Phillips took quite a bit of heat for starting Johnson. I have heard over the years that Ralph Wilson insisted that Johnson start. To this day, I don't really know if this is true. Sorry it has been twenty years. One more thing to point out...many have argued that the Bills did have the lead and if not for that play...

Just to be clear, this is the same Rob Johnson who led the Bills to the lead and had the game won, right?  Had they started Flutie, the Bills would have gotten their asses handed to them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Just to be clear, this is the same Rob Johnson who led the Bills to the lead and had the game won, right?  Had they started Flutie, the Bills would have gotten their asses handed to them.

Yes...if not for the miracle, the game would have been won. How often do we see a play like that. Back then, if you remember there was a Always a Flutie vs Johnson debate. Yes I liked Flutie more, but I just wanted a Bills win. Of course because they lost, it opened the doors for the usual controversy and hysteria.

Edited by Rocket94

5 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Yes...if not for the miracle, the game would have been won. How often do we see a play like that. Back then, if you remember there was a Always a Flutie vs Johnson debate. Yes I like Flutie more, but I just wanted a Bills win. Of course because they lost, it opened up the usual doubts and controversy. 

I'm the wrong guy to ask because I couldn't stand Flutie from day one and my dislike of him grows every time I talk about him.  Worst Buffalo Bill, ever, in my opinion.  Two happiest days of my life as a Bills fan - when Flutie left and when Tyrod left.  Good riddance to bad rubbish.  Two peas in a pathetic pod.

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm the wrong guy to ask because I couldn't stand Flutie from day one and my dislike of him grows every time I talk about him.  Worst Buffalo Bill, ever, in my opinion.  Two happiest days of my life as a Bills fan - when Flutie left and when Tyrod left.  Good riddance to bad rubbish.  Two peas in a pathetic pod.

I liked Flutie at the time. In 1998 the Bills started 0-3 and I believe they rallied to 5-3. He was at the forefront it seemed and Jim Kelly had been gone two years. I am really not concerned with it anymore!

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it was Ralph’s fault. :thumbdown: