Bob Ley Retires from ESPN

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

No doubt Bergman is a class act all the way.  But the point is that these guys were.told to create an ENTERTAINMENT Sports network.  The current crop are doing the acne thing Berman and Scott BooYaa Stuart and hot take Cowherd we’re doing.   They have to fill 24 hours of content.  This is how they do it and how they always have.  

I bet you couldn’t name too many TV networks that, without them, your life would change.  Also, ratings may be down,  but it is still the only network of its kind and has no real competition.  Their current and unending ratings supremacy is proof that many millions of people are still tuning in regularly (instead of the alternatives),  do its still cool here to say “yeah I never watch ESPN anymore”...the reality says otherwise.

ESPN is important to those who have no life' kind of like many posters on TBD! And there ratings are not doing well; they will continue to attract those THAT HAVE NO LIFE!

1 minute ago, Pete said:

agreed.  I loved primetime with Berman and Tom Jackson!

Many years ago I was attending Walter Camp with my younger brother, who wanted to see Rocket Ishmael.  Skrepenik(sic G Michigan) informed us Rocket was sleeping, he knew which room, lets wake up Rocket so he can meet your brother.  Well we couldn't find Rocket- he found a safe room to grab some sleep.  On elevator down, the door opens 2nd floor, and Tom Jackson walks into elevator for ride down.  "Hey what's up TJ?  Carwell Gardner- where is he from?"  "Louisville!" says TJ ?

Tom Jackson, another class act - here is my problem with millenials - do they even know class anymore?

3 minutes ago, vorpma said:

ESPN is important to those who have no life' kind of like many posters on TBD! And there ratings are not doing well; they will continue to attract those THAT HAVE NO LIFE!

Tom Jackson, another class act - here is my problem with millenials - do they even know class anymore?

Class, empathy, engagement, honor?  Not all of course.  But I find it harder than ever to find genuine these days

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

Class, empathy, engagement, honor?  Not all of course.  But I find it harder than ever to find genuine these days

Thanks Pete, many from yesteryear have been lost over the last ten years; but those from today have lots of catching up to do!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I will never understand the criticism of ESPN.  It's really the only network of its kind and has been so since day 1.  Guys like Olberman and Berman (who hasn't said anything interesting in 30 straight years) were the original blowhards, but that's why we watched.  Their variety of programming is unequalled and they produce the best non-live sports content anywhere (30 for 30 are routinely outstanding, as is E:60 and OTL is usually good). 

Why the beef?  Too much entertainment?  Well, the "E" has always been before the "S", so who's really disappointed?

You probably still watch MTV too, huh?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ll just wish him well in retirement. It’s a HUGE transition in life, and not always what it’s cracked up to be unless you have a plan for your time and a purpose. 

Yup.  There’s a reason a lot of people keep working even if they don’t need the money.

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

Yup.  There’s a reason a lot of people keep working even if they don’t need the money.

My wife works in wealth management. They have done some shocking studies about people who build a business and sell it for hundreds of millions of dollars. They almost always regret selling their baby. They wake up in the morning, and wonder why? 

Then, there was the dream client who bought a struggling company and turned it around. Sold it for $100 million. Never heard form the guy, just managed his stuff and he never needed hand holding. He called one day out of the blue. Everyone got nervous. Trouble???  Turns out, the message was....I did it again. Got bored, bought another company to turn it around, and sold it for another $100 million. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

My wife works in wealth management. They have done some shocking studies about people who build a business and sell it for hundreds of millions of dollars. They almost always regret selling their baby. They wake up in the morning, and wonder why? 

I can see that.  Then again, if you’re retiring with hundreds of millions, that affords you some options in retirement not available to most.

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I can see that.  Then again, if you’re retiring with hundreds of millions, that affords you some options in retirement not available to most.

I would enjoy the challenge, I hope! 

52 minutes ago, vorpma said:

As recently as January, ESPN beat every other network in primetime.  While over the previous 3 years the cable industry average was 16% drop in subscribers, it was less for ESPN: 13%.  Plenty of people are watching.  And I'm sure most of them have....let's just say lives as busy and interesting and compelling as yours.  

20 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

You probably still watch MTV too, huh?

Oh look at you!!  Sister, you slap HARD!

Is MTV even on any more?  I was 18 when it first came on cable--it was one of the few cable channels.  Do bands even make videos anymore??

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, Bill Simmons was holding together the behemoth that is ESPN.

For a long time, Tiger Woods WAS golf.  There was nothing else to report on.  Le Bron and Yankees?  Yeah, except when they were endlessly reporting on Kobe, Shaq, Kobe/Shaq,  Red Sox.  Imagine that!  A 24 hr network hyping ratings getters!  A programming model so unique it’s doomed to fail!!

cone on, people...you’re watching..

Wrong.   Barstool and Bleacher Report are stealing all the sloppy seconds.  

1 hour ago, Augie said:

In part, quite true. When they stopped being GOOD, that was also an issue. 

Just my opinion, but given the success of Sportscenter and the personalities that drove the show for a solid 10-15 years, there was a talent drain that would've hamstrung any media company.  All those GOOD people went on to their owns radio shows, news networks, etc  or if you were a HUGE, well-liked star such as Craig Kilborn, you got to crash your Porsche and die in a hit comedy!!? 

12 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yep. The end of class at that station just walked out the door.

Absolutely.  I remember when Sportscenter was the first thing I turned on in the morning and the last thing I turned off at night. Now, the only time I watch ESPN is for actual sporting events. I also enjoy the 30 for 30s quite a bit.

We are all nostalgic for the day with little to no internet, and 1 sports station providing one stop shop highlights.

Now we all have supercomputers in our pocket and can watch highlights from anything in 2 seconds, or even recall the 2003 nfc championship game with a simple voice command.

In addition, there isnt 1 sports dedicated network.  There are dozens to choose from.

Espn's programming is to try to set itself ahead from the competitors.  Lots of yelling, gimmicky segments, hosts who say edgy things and get publicity.  Us curmudgeons complain that they should show straight-line highlights, but they would die.

What they still do great is live sports.  Whether its college football or hoops, nfl, baseball, little league world series... i dont think anyone comes close.  Im hoping they win the NHL rights in a few years.  

You also cant rival their 30 for 30 and other human interest features.  

• Like (+1) 1