Bob Ley Retires from ESPN

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Back when ESPN was great.  Ley, Berman, Charlie Steiner, Dan Patrick, Olberman, Howie Schwab....

It was about highlights and not drama.

Disney ruined ESPN.

I used to watch sportscenter 3-4 times a day.  Now ESPN is unwatchable

I recall when Charlie Steiner started laughing uncontrollably during one of the broadcasts.  I think it was when Carl Lewis, the track star, was singing the national anthem at a ball game.  It was horrid.  Steiner was in tears laughing so hard...and of course, it made you laugh just as hard watching him.

• Haha (+1) 3

48 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I recall when Charlie Steiner started laughing uncontrollably during one of the broadcasts.  I think it was when Carl Lewis, the track star, was singing the national anthem at a ball game.  It was horrid.  Steiner was in tears laughing so hard...and of course, it made you laugh just as hard watching him.

Francis Scott “Off” Key

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yep. The end of class at that station just walked out the door.

So true, I rarely if ever watch ESPN anymore, but I did in the glory years - Tom Jackson, Chris Berman, and Bob Ley; man I miss the old school!

3 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Guy, this is like a speech at a funeral.

Lets bring it down a tad.

For those of us who care and remember class and professionalism, it is a funeral speech!

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He was a great one.  I still watch ESPN now mainly for the highlights.  But back in the late 80's and 90's....man I would just keep it on.

Bob Ley was able to bring sports into my life as more than entertainment....he brought substance to sports.  Dan Patrick made you enjoy sports, Chris Berman made you laugh, Stuart Scott made sports cool....Bob Ley made you appreciate sports.  I'll miss him.

Great post, different era back the - class and excellence!

• Like (+1) 1

I will never understand the criticism of ESPN.  It's really the only network of its kind and has been so since day 1.  Guys like Olberman and Berman (who hasn't said anything interesting in 30 straight years) were the original blowhards, but that's why we watched.  Their variety of programming is unequalled and they produce the best non-live sports content anywhere (30 for 30 are routinely outstanding, as is E:60 and OTL is usually good). 

Why the beef?  Too much entertainment?  Well, the "E" has always been before the "S", so who's really disappointed?

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Back when ESPN was great.  Ley, Berman, Charlie Steiner, Dan Patrick, Olberman, Howie Schwab....

Disney ruined ESPN.

Another great post!

6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Yes, all three of them were there on day 1.

Before Olbermann, Bob Ley would co-host Sportscenter with Dan Patrick, and they both had a running gag at the end of the show where they would both hold a pose, as if the show had just done a freeze frame. When in actuality it was still LIVE. It was quite funny.

Anyone else remember them doing that?

...Oberman became a "first class Richard" as a political yapper......

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

I will never understand the criticism of ESPN.  It's really the only network of its kind and has been so since day 1.  Guys like Olberman were the original blowhards, but that's why we watched.  Their variety of programming is unequalled and they produce the best non-live sports content anywhere (30 for 30 are routinely outstanding, as is E:60 and OTL is usually good). 

Why the beef?  Too much entertainment?  Well, the "E" has always been before the "S", so who's really disappointed?

Why does your post not surprise me, but actually saddens me; we have really lost class and character!

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Disney ruined ESPN.

It was pretty much required viewing back then, now, not so much.

1 minute ago, vorpma said:

Why does your post not surprise me, but actually saddens me; we have really lost class and character!

We really haven't.  Little has changed in that network over the past 2-3 decades

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

We really haven't.  Little has changed in that network over the past 2-3 decades

Except for the hosts are not nearly as Entertaining as they used to be, IMO, but you do make some valid points.

Edited by Don Otreply
New word

Back in the 80's and 90's I never missed ESPN, I had it on continuously; now it not only bores me I don't think 90% of the guests and hosts have a clue. But then again, I don't watch television or (gasp) any of the movie channels, no use for it - garbage in garbage out. I stay informed but will not watch; if it flips your Bic have at it! 

22 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Yes it has, and many will agree!

Well, many will say...

20 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Except for the hosts are not nearly as Entertaining as they used to be, IMO, but you do make some valid points.

Olbermsn was the original hot take man.  Berman’s first and only shtick was/is yelling and making funny noises over the highlights. Cowherd was there doing his act 27 years ago.  

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, many will say...

Olbermsn was the original hot take man.  Berman’s first and only shtick was/is yelling and making funny noises over the highlights. Cowherd was there doing his act 27 years ago.  

Whatever! I have noticed ESPN ratings are down, so the TBD crowd is not the deciding factor; if they went bust tonight it would not impact my life - nor many others - in any way! BTW, I met Chris Berman and spent some time talking to him years ago - class act all the way!

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, many will say...

Berman shtick far outweighs most of what you get on TBD!

19 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Whatever! I have noticed ESPN ratings are down, so the TBD crowd is not the deciding factor; if they went bust tonight it would not impact my life - nor many others - in any way! BTW, I met Chris Berman and spent some time talking to him years ago - class act all the way!

Berman shtick far outweighs most of what you get on TBD!

No doubt Bergman is a class act all the way.  But the point is that these guys were.told to create an ENTERTAINMENT Sports network.  The current crop are doing the acne thing Berman and Scott BooYaa Stuart and hot take Cowherd we’re doing.   They have to fill 24 hours of content.  This is how they do it and how they always have.  

I bet you couldn’t name too many TV networks that, without them, your life would change.  Also, ratings may be down,  but it is still the only network of its kind and has no real competition.  Their current and unending ratings supremacy is proof that many millions of people are still tuning in regularly (instead of the alternatives),  do its still cool here to say “yeah I never watch ESPN anymore”...the reality says otherwise.

50 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

How is this possible ?  

ESPN fell off a cliff when they fired Bill Simmons and only chose to report on Tiger, Lebron, and the Yankees.  

Yes, Bill Simmons was holding together the behemoth that is ESPN.

For a long time, Tiger Woods WAS golf.  There was nothing else to report on.  Le Bron and Yankees?  Yeah, except when they were endlessly reporting on Kobe, Shaq, Kobe/Shaq,  Red Sox.  Imagine that!  A 24 hr network hyping ratings getters!  A programming model so unique it’s doomed to fail!!

cone on, people...you’re watching..

Edited by Mr. WEO

9 hours ago, stony said:

High-speed internet on phones/tablets killed ESPN.  No longer necessary for us to watch Sportscenter to get our highlight fix.    

In part, quite true. When they stopped being GOOD, that was also an issue. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, nucci said:

Patrick and Olbermann had the best show. Berman and Tom Jackson on Sundays...ESPN used to be the best....I haven't watched in many years

agreed.  I loved primetime with Berman and Tom Jackson!

Many years ago I was attending Walter Camp with my younger brother, who wanted to see Rocket Ishmael.  Skrepenik(sic G Michigan) informed us Rocket was sleeping, he knew which room, lets wake up Rocket so he can meet your brother.  Well we couldn't find Rocket- he found a safe room to grab some sleep.  On elevator down, the door opens 2nd floor, and Tom Jackson walks into elevator for ride down.  "Hey what's up TJ?  Carwell Gardner- where is he from?"  "Louisville!" says TJ ?

• Like (+1) 2