‘The culture starts with Sean’: How the coach’s voracious learning habits are rubbing off on the Bills (Athletic article)

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Well, I suppose neither of us wants to find out who is right on this.  There is a 99% chance they are back next year, and just as good a chance they win more than 4 or 5 games next year.  I guess the whole thing is just academic. 

I totally agree with that. It is all very academic. I just don't think it is the case that there is no situation on which they are fired.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am a fan too. McDermott was the guy I wanted even before Rex was fired. And you might well be right that Pegula was attracted to the tear down because he felt he had tried the incremental approach "the Whaley plan" albeit with a clown show at the HC position. But it was still a choice to go that way and I just think it is important people (even those like you and I who support it) recognise it was a choice. Because it leads to us starting the discussion from a more honest baseline. The people who try and portray it like it was the only way to go I think back themselves into a corner before they start.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that there were a variety of pathways to success. And I will add that there isn't a particular pathway that is the best way. The key is in the execution of the designated plan. Also, good managers are not ideologues. They are the ones who retain the flexibility to adjust to the changing circumstances. Another key, regardless of the approach, is having all the staff on board to the same plan. Inconsistency and mishmash in messaging and execution leads to confusion and failure.  

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with your judgment that Pegulas would not be afraid to resort to using the much calloused trigger finger if this season turns out to be disappointing. I think that he has learned his lesson that churning coaches and staff is an act of futility. My impression is that with both franchises there was a learning curve for the new owners. And they learned that injudiciously spending money was not a solution to injudicious hiring. I think with both franchises they put more thought into the hiring of staff and allowing them the time and space to do their jobs. 

So do you think there is a record in 2019 that would result in firings? That is separate from how likely that record is (because I think it is very unlikely) but if they went 0-16 presumably you agree they would be sacked? 1-15? 2-14? 3-13? 4-12? Where is the threshold?

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So do you think there is a record in 2019 that would result in firings? That is separate from how likely that record is (because I think it is very unlikely) but if they went 0-16 presumably you agree they would be sacked? 1-15? 2-14? 3-13? 4-12? Where is the threshold?

Let's put aside the 0-16 or 2-14 type of seasons for this discussion because it is so improbable. Even with a disastrous season and resulting bad record I do not envisage the owners getting so frustrated that they would fire the coach. I just believe that the owners are so bought in with the coach they hired and committed to that they are going to allow this regime the space to work things out. Let's not forget that they have already observed this muscled wrestling coach take a stripped down team in his first year and got his team into the playoffs for the first time in a generation. So they have already experienced some success under this coach in very challenging circumstances. I'm very confident that these owners are going to give this regime the time and space to overcome any temporary setbacks, at least for the short term. 

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Let's put aside the 0-16 or 2-14 type of seasons for this discussion because it is so improbable. Even with a disastrous season and resulting bad record I do not envisage the owners getting so frustrated that they would fire the coach. I just believe that the owners are so bought in with the coach they hired and committed to that they are going to allow this regime the space to work things out. Let's not forget that they have already observed this muscled wrestling coach take a stripped down team in his first year and got his team into the playoffs for the first time in a generation. So they have already experienced some success under this coach in very challenging circumstances. I'm very confident that these owners are going to give this regime the time and space to overcome any temporary setbacks, at least for the short term. 

Again, I am not saying that a season that results in McDermott's firing is likely. But if it does happen and we win 4 games or fewer (without Josh getting seriously injured) then I think they would fire him. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Again, I am not saying that a season that results in McDermott's firing is likely. But if it does happen and we win 4 games or fewer (without Josh getting seriously injured) then I think they would fire him. 

We are not in accord. That's okay. :)

12 hours ago, eball said:

:lol: that’s a load of crap and you know it. I respect all fans with opinions; I make fun of those who add nothing but negativity or who think they know it all. You fall into the latter category, sport. Cheers! :beer:

That's it......embrace the liquor.........don't fight it........let it speak.......neither of you can discuss football but at least it's got a better sense of humor.:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am a fan too. McDermott was the guy I wanted even before Rex was fired. And you might well be right that Pegula was attracted to the tear down because he felt he had tried the incremental approach "the Whaley plan" albeit with a clown show at the HC position. But it was still a choice to go that way and I just think it is important people (even those like you and I who support it) recognise it was a choice. Because it leads to us starting the discussion from a more honest baseline. The people who try and portray it like it was the only way to go I think back themselves into a corner before they start.

You still a Sean McDermott > Anthony Lynn guy?

57 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

my 2 cents

The Bills will not go 4-12 and the Pegs will not move (that far) out of Buffalo  anytime soon

I;m not in Accord, I drive a Saturn   ;)  :lol:

Go with the Corolla. Maybe doesn't have the pep but better value. :)

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am on the same page with you again Gunner.

My personal opinion:  There is 0% chance that McD and/or Beane will be fired during or just after this season.  

BUT...like you said, there are scenarios where they can and even likely get fired.  My "0%" chance opinion is based on my strong belief those scenarios just aren't going to happen.  I just can't find any plausible scenario where we win less games this year.   But like you said, if we go out and crap the bed and somehow win fewer games with an easier schedule and more talent, then all bets are off and no one is safe.

My range of expectation is similar to yours, just a slight higher in optimism.  I think our floor is 8 wins and our ceiling is 12 wins.  For me, my official opinion is that we win 11 games.

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You still a Sean McDermott > Anthony Lynn guy?

Lynn got a fast start out of the gate but these two horses aren't even on the backstretch yet.  Let's give it some time; Lynn's Chargers (with a loaded roster) looked pretty overmatched and underprepared against the Pats*** last January.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

For me, the jury is still out on Sean. I know all the chronicled reasons he has a losing record to date. What’s rarely discussed are gameday decisions, obscenely undisciplined play and unwillingness to publicly take/accept blame for these. Yes, it’s refreshing to see a ‘Process’ guy in an era where once credible coaches like Andy Reid have willingly sold their soul for maggots & thugs with astounding skills.

Has there been a speech or interview anyone can recall verbatim where he’s said anything of value? Of course not. But it doesn’t bode well against head scratching personnel & gameday decisions for balance on the whole. 

Winning cures everything, even an incredibly boring head coach. Losing, on the other hand.. Case in point, if the team fails to have a winning season this year, he can pick up his last check in the ‘processor’.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

For me, the jury is still out on Sean. I know all the chronicled reasons he has a losing record to date. What’s rarely discussed are gameday decisions, obscenely undisciplined play and unwillingness to publicly take/accept blame for these. Yes, it’s refreshing to see a ‘Process’ guy in an era where once credible coaches like Andy Reid have willingly sold their soul for maggots & thugs with astounding skills.

Has there been a speech or interview anyone can recall verbatim where he’s said anything of value? Of course not. But it doesn’t bode well against head scratching personnel & gameday decisions for balance on the whole. 

Winning cures everything, even an incredibly boring head coach. Losing, on the other hand.. Case in point, if the team fails to have a winning season this year, he can pick up his last check in the ‘processor’.

15-17  is far superior that 1-31 

just sayin 

27 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

6th most penalized team for 5th most yards in 2018.

That kind of flaggage is tolerable for a super-aggressive team that imposes it's will on opponents.......KC lead the NFL in penalties.........but it doesn't jive with the style of football they play on both sides of the ball.   Or the whole "process" mentality. 

That's the thing with McD so far..........the gameday McD pales in comparison to the other 349 days McD. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That kind of flaggage is tolerable for a super-aggressive team that imposes it's will on opponents.......KC lead the NFL in penalties.........but it doesn't jive with the style of football they play on both sides of the ball.   Or the whole "process" mentality. 

That's the thing with McD so far..........the gameday McD pales in comparison to the other 349 days McD. 

Might be helpful to give the penalty stats some context.  First of all, the Bills were the 8th most penalized for the 10th most yards, but who's counting.  Out of 116 total penalties the defense was only flagged 34 times -- so roughly twice a game.  Is that "tolerable flaggage" coming from the Bills' best unit?  Conversely, the terrible OL and offense committed 63 penalties, while the ST were flagged 19 times.

I think it's quite fair to say that the areas of the team that needed to be addressed most are those areas guilty of "obscenely undisciplined play."

By the way, want to know the average number of penalties per team in the NFL last year?  111.5.  The Bills with their 116 flags were goons!  Goons I tell ya!

Oh, and also -- 6 of the 9 most penalized teams made the playoffs.

But then again, I'm incapable of "talking football" so I'm sure you'll ignore this post as you have others that don't fit your agenda to ridicule.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I’m going to look at McD like Allen and Edmunds and everyone else on the team. I want to see him be competent and showing progress. He’s still fairly new as a HC and I don’t expect perfection, but I do hope to see progress. I don’t want to churn through coaches, GM’s, schemes and players again unless it’s clear it’s not working. Even Belichick lost in Cleveland in his earlier HC days. Give him an adequate chance. Not a free pass, but an adequate chance. 

I feel pretty confident we will be pleased in the long run. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m going to look at McD like Allen and Edmunds and everyone else on the team. I want to see him be competent and showing progress. He’s still fairly new as a HC and I don’t expect perfection, but I do hope to see progress. I don’t want to churn through coaches, GM’s, schemes and players again unless it’s clear it’s not working. Even Belichick lost in Cleveland in his earlier HC days. Give him an adequate chance. Not a free pass, but an adequate chance. 

I feel pretty confident we will be pleased in the long run. 

“Not a free pass but an adequate chance to explain” is going in my catalog of excuses I use w my wife. Thanks. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I am wondering how much of that was offensive line penalties

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am wondering how much of that was offensive line penalties

See eball’s post just above. MANY is the short answer (though on second glance it doesn’t break down strictly OL).

Edited by Augie

...Management 101 subscribes to the " an organization takes on the characteristics of its leader" mantra....so my take on McDermott is that he's methodical, well planned, deliberate and focused....and he wants to compose an organization, albeit players AND coaches who "buy in"......not sure what the hell is wrong with THAT.....how did "F Troop" do for SEVENTEEN years?....going back to the Marrone interview(s), his focus was the need for a "culture change" which is why Brandon hired him with Pegula's blessing.....did not stick around long enough to execute it for a multitude of "already rehashed reasons".....and logically with all of the changes so far for 2019 including players and coaches, the expectations are high....is it realistic or does 2020 become THE year when hopefully EVERYTHING finally meshes?....your call.....strictly opinion, but I doubt McDermott and/or McBeane get canned during or at the end of 2019....OR.....we could spin the revolving door with yet ANOTHER rebuild tenure....YAWN.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

On 5/29/2019 at 11:51 AM, hondo in seattle said:

This part of the game is fascinating to me: leadership, building culture, loyalty, buy-in and so on.    I've read dozens - if  not hundreds of books - on these subject and appreciate the importance.  I'm glad McD and the staff are digging in.  

But x's and o's are important too.  I hope McD is also studying the latest gridiron tactical developments at both the college and pro level.  

And then what about preparation:  walk-thru's, film-study and  etc?  There are a lot of theories about how to best prepare a team for a season or a game.  What work is being done there?

He has been studying them since 1998.  Whether he adapts is important.  But its not always what everyone else is doing that works.  BBs Patriots played smash mouth football last season.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

See eball’s post just above. MANY is the short answer (though on second glance it doesn’t break down strictly OL).

I remember a site that broke down penalties by player for each team.

For now, this site breaks down specific penalties by each team, and where the totals rank in the league.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/buffalo-bills?year=2018&view=penalties

The Bills were 32nd in illegal formation penalties against with 7 (those seemed to taper off down the stretch, perhaps with players being more familiar with a new scheme and yoing QB). The two worst categories for the Bills were offensive holding and false start penalties with 23 and 21 respectively, but only slightly more than the league averages in tnose categories. 

They could be more disciplined, but they certainly weren't "bad". Many or most of those holding calls were likely committed by linemen, and based on the quality of talent amongst them last year, it shouldn't surprise. It's not so much about "discipline" as it is about just getting beat and not wanting to allow the QB to get creamed as a result. With better talent there this year, as well as some emphasis by the coaches (due to the high volume of holds last year), I expect the frequency of those calls to be lower, as well as false start and illegal formation calls.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

For now, this site breaks down specific penalties by each team, and where the totals rank in the league.

The Bills were 32nd in illegal formation penalties against with 7 (those seemed to taper off down the stretch, perhaps with players being more familiar with a new scheme and yoing QB). The two worst categories for the Bills were offensive holding and false start penalties with 23 and 21 respectively, but only slightly more than the league averages in tnose categories. 

They could be more disciplined, but they certainly weren't "bad". Many or most of those holding calls were likely committed by linemen, and based on the quality of talent amongst them last year, it shouldn't surprise. It's not so much about "discipline" as it is about just getting beat and not wanting to allow the QB to get creamed as a result. With better talent there this year, as well as some emphasis by the coaches (due to the high volume of holds last year), I expect the frequency of those calls to be lower, as well as false start and illegal formation calls.

In summary, our OLine sucked. Nobody should be surprised by this news flash. Those flags did not happen because McD was negligent in any way. Can he and they improve? Of course. I have high hopes for the revamped OL. It will not be perfect from day #1, but it looks encouraging over time. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/29/2019 at 11:22 AM, mushypeaches said:

I don't think it's wrong to be skeptical here.  I like that he's constantly pushing himself and the team to learn and grow (unlike most previous head coaches).  But until it really translates to game day aggressiveness and adjustments, I'm not overly excited. 

Personally, I'll judge him this year by our results against the Patriots.  Win one of those games, and I'll say that McDermott might be getting there.  But if it's SSDD, he's just Jauron 2.0 to me

how do feel about winning seasons ?

or a playoff appearance. 

a playoff appearance in the front door ?

Even McD has said, the measuring stick in the AFC East is Patriots.

36 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

But did we have the correct amount of players on the field after subs.
I miss rex and rob.

no i don't

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

In related news.....Kelvin Benjamin is still wondering where to line up. 

I can still see Jones tapping his fatazs to wake him up again in my mind.

wanted to punch something each time.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

In summary, our OLine sucked. Nobody should be surprised by this news flash. Those flags did not happen because McD was negligent in any way. Can he and they improve? Of course. I have high hopes for the revamped OL. It will not be perfect from day #1, but it looks encouraging over time. 

Derp...it was the same site I referenced...Dawkins had the most penalties on the team, Mills 2nd most, and many offensive linemen near the top.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/buffalo-bills?year=2018&view=players

*Shaq had zero, but I thought he was given a PF and ejected in the Jags game.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Derp...it was the same site I referenced...Dawkins had the most penalties on the team

http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/buffalo-bills?year=2018&view=players

Bounce back year? Even he said he slipped from the rookie year. Hoping he learned.  I’m not all “Bills colored glasses”, but I am optimistic.  

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

But did we have the correct amount of players on the field after subs.
I miss rex and rob.

no i don't

Nitpicking here, but in 15 games as HC, Rex's Bills had one less "12 men" call than McD in 16 games (5 & 4 respectively). 

Problem is all 5 were in 2016

4 hours ago, eball said:

Might be helpful to give the penalty stats some context.  First of all, the Bills were the 8th most penalized for the 10th most yards, but who's counting.  Out of 116 total penalties the defense was only flagged 34 times -- so roughly twice a game.  Is that "tolerable flaggage" coming from the Bills' best unit?  Conversely, the terrible OL and offense committed 63 penalties, while the ST were flagged 19 times.

I think it's quite fair to say that the areas of the team that needed to be addressed most are those areas guilty of "obscenely undisciplined play."

By the way, want to know the average number of penalties per team in the NFL last year?  111.5.  The Bills with their 116 flags were goons!  Goons I tell ya!

Oh, and also -- 6 of the 9 most penalized teams made the playoffs.

But then again, I'm incapable of "talking football" so I'm sure you'll ignore this post as you have others that don't fit your agenda to ridicule.

Apparently you are the one not counting.:lol:

I REPEAT:

In 2018 the Bills were the 6th most penalized(116) for the 5th most yardage(992).

It's not uncommon for highly penalized teams to make the playoffs.............as I said, hyper-aggressive teams or those who play on the edge of the rules often collect a lot of penalties  of aggression while winning.   

The Bills under McDermott haven't been that............they try to play a disciplined game..........as evidenced by the lack of penalties of aggression..........but they haven't been able to do it..........as evidenced by the high volume of "dumb" penalties.

There is your context eball.:lol:

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Augie said:

Bounce back year? Even he said he slipped from the rookie year. Hoping he learned.  I’m not all “Bills colored glasses”, but I am optimistic.  

I felt like last year had more to do with the loss of some pretty good linemen next to him (Richie, and Wood next to Richie), and lack of greater or equal replacements. He may have been a rookie in 2017, but his job and learning curve was made much easier with those two playing his guard and center. Perhaps a very good rookie year blew up his head a bit as well, and last year was humble pie. Good for him to admit his regression.

I posted before the season that I was calling for a down year from Dawkins because of the loss of those two. Everyone here was gushing over him, and based on what he had shown, rightfully so (I still thought we found our guy at the position). But there's several factors in football. It seemed like most people were rather dismissive of the losses of Richie and Wood, and were riding the excitement of the Bills finding a franchise LT, predicting a great sophomore year. I'm not saying that losing those two definitively was the reason or the main reason he had a down year, but believe it played a big part. Once again this season, he'll likely have a new guard and center (and coach), and even though the talent should be better, it may take a bit more time to gel, and Dawkins' may struggle a bit early on (and the line as a whole). 

I have the same mentality and approach, but in football, applying common sense and realism can more often than not lead to a relatively accurate prediction. In turn, it also can help temper expectations, and ease the blow of a let down. Essentially, the Bills taught me a valuable lesson in life a long time ago :D . Several, in fact...

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Apparently you are the one not counting.:lol:

I REPEAT:

In 2018 the Bills were the 6th most penalized(116) for the 5th most yardage(992).

It's not uncommon for highly penalized teams to make the playoffs.............as I said, hyper-aggressive teams or those who play on the edge of the rules often collect a lot of penalties  of aggression while winning.   

The Bills under McDermott haven't been that............they try to play a disciplined game..........as evidenced by the lack of penalties of aggression..........but they haven't been able to do it..........as evidenced by the high volume of "dumb" penalties.

There is your context eball.:lol:

Does your @$$ actually have lips? Because you talk out of it more than anyone I know. :lol:

7 hours ago, eball said:

Lynn got a fast start out of the gate but these two horses aren't even on the backstretch yet.  Let's give it some time; Lynn's Chargers (with a loaded roster) looked pretty overmatched and underprepared against the Pats*** last January.

Lynn took over a team that won a total of 9 games over the prior 2 years and has won 22 games(two of those at the expense of McDermott).

McDermott took over a team that won a total of 15 games over the prior 2 years and has won...........wait for it..........15 games.

Lynn's Chargers were beaten badly by the Patriots in the playoffs..........after winning a road playoff game..........which is something the Bills haven't done since 1992.

Lynn has earned the respect to say the least and 7 more wins over two years is A LOT.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Lynn took over a team that won a total of 9 games over the prior 2 years and has won 22 games(two of those at the expense of McDermott).

McDermott took over a team that won a total of 15 games over the prior 2 years and has won...........wait for it..........15 games.

Lynn's Chargers were beaten badly by the Patriots in the playoffs..........after winning a road playoff game..........which is something the Bills haven't done since 1992.

Lynn has earned the respect to say the least and 7 more wins over two years is A LOT.

Good lord, lack of comprehension is a real thing with you, isn't it?  You seem to think I said Lynn hasn't done a good job in his two years as the Bolts' HC.  I didn't.  I said he did a crappy job against the Pats*** in the playoffs with a roster that is arguably more talented.  Conversely, McDermott chose to break down the Bills in order to build them up again.  You understand that, right?  I know you hate that they traded/cut players with talent but it is what it is.  They did it.  Now, two years later, we're ready to see what McD can do with a roster built to his and Beane's specifications.  You think we're supposed to judge McD on his W-L record while they were undergoing that transition?  (Oh, and by the way, he ended the playoff drought)

Talk to me about Lynn and McD after a couple more seasons.  Maybe they'll both have proven to be great head coaches.  Maybe not.  The problem is people like you who move the goal line backwards and forwards to match whatever agenda you have on the current day.

Edited by eball