Sign in to follow this  
YoloinOhio

Bills sign Lee Smith to 3-year deal -contract details released

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....anybody have Robert Royal on speed dial??........

Better yet, let's get ahold of Derek Fine!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

I recall Smith negatively when he was here before. Slow lunbering TE with bad hands and seemed to get as many penalties as he did good blocks. Not a fan at all of this signing.

So 56 catches on 66 targets over 8 yrs is bad hands? I couldnt find anywhere that he credited with any drops. 

5 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Better yet, let's get ahold of Derek Fine!

Scorin Dorin

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

That is ridiculous.  WTF?!

Bills are trying to get some fans to leave to allow for fresh blood.  Have a nice trip!

• Meh 1

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I asked in the other thread and still haven’t gotten an answer. Can someone please explain to me the advantage of a “blocking TE” as opposed to an extra tackle? No one is scared of Lee Smith in the passing game so he’s pretty much there to block. He’s not as good at blocking as an OT.  

I explained in another thread.  He is not as good as OL at straight blocking but you see Lee Smith down the field blocking for WRs and RBs (Probably other TEs but not seen on film).  He is very good pass blocker as well (from BN: In 61 pass-blocking snaps, he was charged with allowing one sack).  He is also good on plays which develop out of backfield where he needs to support back coming out of it on tosses.

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I believe it was Limeaid posted — 

Smith is a lot more mobile than most guards/tackles and will be blocking down the field for WRs/RBs when most guards/tackles would be left behind.  That is why you sign a TE like him rather than use an extra OL on play. 

When he is targeted he usually catches the ball (56/66) with 7 TDs - not many guards/tackles can do that.

That is correct.

• Thanks! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ditto. 

This is a head scratcher for me. 4 new OL on one 1 year deals and ‘never was’ TE on a 3 year?

He's there to block. To me, this is about the run game. It also tells me DiMarco might not be on the roster come September.

7 hours ago, bourbonboy said:

He was injured early (3rd or 4th game?) - he may not have had enough run-block snap to even qualify....

He was injured in 2016 but has played almost every other game since 2012.

Receiving & Rushing

Games Receiving Rushing Total Yds      
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
Career       107 66 66 56 392 7.0 7 30 0.5 3.7 84.8% 5.9               56 7.0 392 7 0 4
4 yrs BUF     56 34 25 20 144 7.2 3 28 0.4 2.6 80.0% 5.8               20 7.2 144 3 0 1
4 yrs OAK     51 32 41 36 248 6.9 4 30 0.7 4.9 87.8% 6.0               36 6.9 248 4 0 3
2011 24 BUF te 85 10 3 4 4 11 2.8 0 6 0.4 1.1 100.0% 2.8               4 2.8 11 0 0 0
2012 25 BUF te/wr 85 16 7 4 4 13 3.3 2 5 0.3 0.8 100.0% 3.3               4 3.3 13 2 0 0
2013 26 BUF fb/TE 85 16 14 9 5 78 15.6 0 28 0.3 4.9 55.6% 8.7               5 15.6 78 0 0 1
2014 27 BUF TE 85 14 10 8 7 42 6.0 1 18 0.5 3.0 87.5% 5.3               7 6.0 42 1 0 0
2015 28 OAK TE 86 15 15 13 12 70 5.8 1 17 0.8 4.7 92.3% 5.4               12 5.8 70 1 0 1
2016 29 OAK te 86 4 4 6 6 29 4.8 0 12 1.5 7.3 100.0% 4.8               6 4.8 29 0 0 0
2017 30 OAK TE/wr 86 16 9 11 8 76 9.5 0 21 0.5 4.8 72.7% 6.9               8 9.5 76 0 0 1
2018 31 OAK te 86 16 4 11 10 73 7.3 3 30 0.6 4.6 90.9% 6.6               10 7.3 73 3 0 1

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I'm not even sure a FO move is even official without his seal of disapproval.

Sure there is.  P*ts FO.  He and WEO are a pair.

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Front loaded deals are player friendly, not team friendly.  That is because they pay out money more quickly than back loaded deals of the same total contract value.  That means that if released before the end of the deal, the player will make more money per season than the average across the whole deal.  Star has a deal like this.  So did Clay.  Lee Smith’s contract is not huge, so it isn’t THAT big of a deal.  But we still are overpaying for a 31 year old TE who is only good at run blocking - even if he is very good at it.  I just don’t see much value in TEs who aren’t productive receivers, which is what I’m really having an issue with here.  8 seasons, 392 yards and 7 TDs.  Those are totals, people, not yearly averages.  Ugh. 

HE is NOT only good at run blocking, he is good at pass blocking and occasionally blocking a football in TD.

Yes some have issues with value of blockers.  

Bottom line.....it looks to me like the bills would like to be top 5 in running the ball again.....

Wouldnt that be great?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Because religion and a background in wrestling are the primary criteria for drafting or signing players.

There are few narratives more tiring on this board....

I wish someone would crucify those to do that.

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

If the Patriots would have made this move Scott would be talking about how the Patriots play chess and everyone else is playing checkers.......lol

That is silly. P*ts and Sc*tt only play games you can win by cheating.

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....anybody have Robert Royal on speed dial??........

Yes and his mother.  Why?

• Thanks! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They have constructed terrible offenses.  I don’t know why they get such a pass on offensive moves.  They have been bad on that side of the ball.  

They haven't built the offense yet. They inherited one then tore most of it down and are now in process of building imo. They didn't over spend or panic so we did ende up with crappy ol...  but never are we in cap trouble with the players they are bringing in that don't work.

Benjamin sucked but really didn't cost a lot in the bug scheme for the roll of the dice.

Still the offense is mostly predicated on Allen's development

Edited by ddaryl

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is a loser move,  passing league and they give this scrub 3 year deal.

LOL.

He has only 56 more career receptions than me.

Don't look back, Lee....

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

They haven't built the offense yet. They inherited one then tore most of it down and are now in process of building imo. They didn't over spend or panic so we did ende up with crappy ol...  but never are we in cap trouble with the players they are bringing in that don't work.

Benjamin sucked but really didn't cost a lot in the bug scheme for the roll of the dice.

Still the offense is mostly predicated on Allen's development

It doesn't take 5 years to build an offense. With the cap room they've had they've basically struck out on all offensive signings. 

They've just been below par in their offensive assessments. That can all change if Allen takes a big step this year, but several of their moves are real head scratchers. Their choices for coaches on offense, they've been bad at evaluating the WR position.(Outside of Foster where they got lucky)The Peterman fiasco was absolutely ridiculous, and while not a huge deal, giving Lee Smith a 3 year deal makes no sense at all.

9 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...then there was Round Up...........

Why give a guy a 3 three deal,  this guy is street bum,  league min on one year non guaranteed deal

26 minutes ago, without a drought said:

I think the Bills are building a bully.

Right,  same as Rex Ryan,  this a total outdated move.  Passing league and sign some scrub that no other team wants

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

This is a loser move,  passing league and they give this scrub 3 year deal.

Passing league until the last month of the season in the AFCE.  Then you need to do both equally well. 

This guy blocks like a tackle, a good tackle.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

You need to post a warning on that thing that it's Yet Another Muffed Cut Block

Do you think this means Croom is gone?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Bottom line.....it looks to me like the bills would like to be top 5 in running the ball again.....

Wouldnt that be great?

we are in the minority.

or maybe it is just me : 0

3 hours ago, purple haze said:

He's there to block. To me, this is about the run game. It also tells me DiMarco might not be on the roster come September.

I had both thoughts.  With regard to the run game, someone shared a Cover1 clip of a pass play where Lee made a very good block.  So they may wish to use a TE blocking in the passing game and this signing may be less run-game-centered than I thought.

With regard to DiMarco...unless they've signed and drafted all these TE just to cut 'em, they have to make room somehow. 

some folks are just wrong about Lee and what Daboll wants to run. This fills the gap Bills had at TE for calling those plays.
The play book opens another chapter.
Now if Knox can catch ..

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had both thoughts.  With regard to the run game, someone shared a Cover1 clip of a pass play where Lee made a very good block.  So they may wish to use a TE blocking in the passing game and this signing may be less run-game-centered than I thought.

With regard to DiMarco...unless they've signed and drafted all these TE just to cut 'em, they have to make room somehow. 

this should be fun to watch. Dimarco has not done as well as I hoped. But he has not been awful enough to replace yet.
I think Bills want to keep a FB. moving forward.

11 minutes ago, without a drought said:

I think this might be because of his ability to be the emergency long snapper.

Versatility is so process.

I understand the skill needed to be a long snapper but I'd like to see the Bills get one of their players, maybe backups, be able to long snap well so long snapper is a luxury not a need.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You need to post a warning on that thing that it's Yet Another Muffed Cut Block

Do you think this means Croom is gone?

I would be surprised if Croom makes the team. He converted from WR to TE and it shows. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Sign in to follow this