Bills sign Lee Smith to 3-year deal -contract details released

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Time to get rid of the DiMarco. He isn't even good at being a FB let alone the fact that FBs are useless. Still a role for a blocking TE. 

Wouldn't be a bad idea to have Gore, Smith and Knox split up the FB on the field plays that Daboll wants to run. It would save a roster spot, and provide for a little more versatility after the snap.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Can someone link that?  I have two PFF links for 2018 TEs.  5 best blocking and 10 best red zone, but he shows up on neither. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-the-nfls-top-five-blocking-tight-ends-in-2018

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-nfls-best-red-zone-tight-ends-in-2018

His bio on pff says #4

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/lee-smith/6311 but only lists him as above average.  

26 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

If Beane and McDermott think Lee is an upgrade to what we had or have then I'm all in. I am more than willing to give this duo lots of LEEway on their personnel decisions because I simply like what is being built and how with these 2.

Lee never played under HC McDermott's system, and McDermott has a way of getting more out of players like Lee.

They have constructed terrible offenses.  I don’t know why they get such a pass on offensive moves.  They have been bad on that side of the ball.  

17 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They have constructed terrible offenses.  I don’t know why they get such a pass on offensive moves.  They have been bad on that side of the ball.  

Because they drafted the franchise QB.  Aside from that, every other move has pretty much been a stop gap.  They haven't made "their move" to build the offense (aside from Allen), and so the judgment hasn't begun.  KB is the exception, but I don't think anyone thought it would go that bad.   

7 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I was never a big fan of his. 

Definitely don’t understand signing him now after we just drafted two and signed Kroft and fisher. I figured fisher would never make it regardless but now you’re pushing Sweeney to the practice squad and Croom is gone for sure. 

I recall Smith negatively when he was here before. Slow lunbering TE with bad hands and seemed to get as many penalties as he did good blocks. Not a fan at all of this signing.

3 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I think something that is being missed is that this signals Daboll's intention to commit to the deep passing game.  Sure, Lee Smith is great for run blocking.  But what I really see is that they are committed to having a lot of max-protection.  This works with the run game, obviously, since it is mixed with play action.  

I really don't think having Lee Smith on the field signals a guaranteed run play. 

Interesting perspective.  Certainly the Cover1 clip shows a very neat block in pass-protection.

17 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Because they drafted the franchise QB.  Aside from that, every other move has pretty much been a stop gap.  They haven't made "their move" to build the offense (aside from Allen), and so the judgment hasn't begun.  KB is the exception, but I don't think anyone thought it would go that bad.   

Wouldn't you consider trading up for Zay Jones in the 2nd round as a move?

13 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

I recall Smith negatively when he was here before. Slow lunbering TE with bad hands and seemed to get as many penalties as he did good blocks. Not a fan at all of this signing.

3 penalties in 2018, but 5 in 2017 and 5 in 2015 with Oakland (2016 only 4 games)

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting perspective.  Certainly the Cover1 clip shows a very neat block in pass-protection.

Wouldn't you consider trading up for Zay Jones in the 2nd round as a move?

Only 3 penalties in 2018, but 5 in 2017 and 2015 with Oakland (2016 only 4 games)

Very good point!  

But, for what its worth, I really think Beane is the driving force behind personnel now.  This is mostly based on the videos of the draft room, where it appears McDermott is more of a bystander than a participant.  

• Like (+1) 1

Having Smith on the field does not mean it's automatically a run play.  Blocking is not always about running.  It's also about protecting the QB.  I think this could be an indication that we will be running more 2 TE sets.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

Having Smith on the field does not mean it's automatically a run play.  Blocking is not always about running.  It's also about protecting the QB.  I think this could be an indication that we will be running more 2 TE sets.

...guess I'm just not a fan of the "either or" proposition......a nice blend of TE's who can CATCH and BLOCK would be nice.....a 3 year deal for a thirty something one dimensional with 20 career catches in his previous 4 year OBD stint?...guess I missed the memo.....maybe some "Lester Hayes Stickem' "this trip through.....

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I asked in the other thread and still haven’t gotten an answer. Can someone please explain to me the advantage of a “blocking TE” as opposed to an extra tackle? No one is scared of Lee Smith in the passing game so he’s pretty much there to block. He’s not as good at blocking as an OT.  

Ok, here it goes, yes he is primarily a blocking TE and here is why its better than a OT:\

We can use him on running plays...obviously

Yes no one is scare of Lee smith burning you as a receiver, however in 2 TE sets, we can use play action and passing, keeping him in as a blocker and still pass...and if the opponent is keying it a run play because he is in we can simply pass the ball to a SKILL player that is also in the play. Just because he is on the field does NOT mean we wont pass...  This can be done via play action or by straight passing plays.

if he is running a route on said passing play someone still has to cover him...

so there is versatility on passing plays  as an added blocker or  receiver.....I expect to see him as an added blocker and Josh now gets extra time since Lee can block...a secondary benefit is in man coverage a defender has to account for him even when blocking

goaline situations, if we havent used him as a receiver dabol can design plays where he ends up wide open ala butch rolle....5 catches with 4 TDS type receiving production

Cant do that with an extra OT...when we want to go with that front we can bring in an extra OT

so yeah theres value

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I asked in the other thread and still haven’t gotten an answer. Can someone please explain to me the advantage of a “blocking TE” as opposed to an extra tackle? No one is scared of Lee Smith in the passing game so he’s pretty much there to block. He’s not as good at blocking as an OT.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...guess I'm just not a fan of the "either or" proposition......a nice blend of TE's who can CATCH and BLOCK would be nice.....a 3 year deal for a thirty something one dimensional with 20 career catches in his previous 4 year OBD stint?...guess I missed the memo.....maybe some "Lester Hayes Stickem' "this trip through.....

That’s pretty much what they have. Smith is more of a blocker and Croom more of a catcher but the rest are a blend of both. Just will take awhile for rookies to produce like Knox and Sweeney so need some vets in the mix.  I like the signing as it was the missing piece of the TE group - a vet leader who knows what he’s doing and can protect the QB. Knox is their TE of the future, he has all the traits and side/speed of a #1 and is a downfield weapon with YAC ability. Kroft is kind of a bridge TE.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s pretty much what they have. Smith is more of a blocker and Croom more of a catcher but the rest are a blend of both. Just will take awhile for rookies to produce like Knox and Sweeney so need some vets in the mix.  I like the signing as it was the missing piece of the TE group - a vet leader who knows what he’s doing and can protect the QB. Knox is their TE of the future, he has all the traits and side/speed of a #1 and is a downfield weapon with YAC ability. Kroft is kind of a bridge TE.

....nice assessment Yolo.....:thumbsup:.....so has he developed better skills versus his first trip through with 20 catches in 4 years where we could expect a minimal blend more so on receptions?...or.....is he forever THE blocking TE?.....

36 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

I guess he makes sense if they think they need an extra pass blocker in for deep throws.  

26 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Except that this is an option.  I wholeheartedly agree with this post.  TEs who are viable blockers as well as receivers help an offense tremendously.  

• Like (+1) 1

I have a favorite Lee Smith memory from his first tour here.  (I think this was Lee)   Lee is inactive (maybe hurt, I don't recall)  He is in shorts on the sideline during the game, and a Bills offensive guy breaks one down the Bills sideline.....Lee is running with him.....along the sideline.  He runs into an official standing out of bounds, and the Bills get flagged for "official interference"...something I had never heard of before or after.  Anyhow, I think that was LEE!!!  Not even active and he drew a bench penality for the Bills

• Haha (+1) 1