The impending question mark/void on our team NEXT offseason

2 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Ah yes “Mcdermott guys”...which is why they tried to get Antonio Brown ? If people still believe that BS I am worried.

Jerry is s high motor intense player. I think while he is not a Boy Scout 100% of the time he fits the mold for McDermott in terms of production and hustle. 

We also tend to not look at how guys are the rest of the week. It is my understanding Hughes is a person who prepares and practices hard. 

I hope the sign him to an an extension before the season starts. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

I think a motivated contract-year Lawson is worth taking a shot on.  Unless I’m mistaken, the 5th year option is only guaranteed for injury.  Bills have the cap space to eat $10m next year if Lawson sustains an injury.  And Bills still control him another year if he has a break out year.  So I’d extend Hughes and exercise Lawson’s option.  Ansah would be a Murphy replacement.  

Jerry Hughes is certainly and intense player, and that results in an occasional penalty, but I don't think that makes him less of a McDermott type player.  An extension is going to come down to cost versus anticipated production.  Some people thought Buffalo should have drafted an edge rusher fairly high in the just completed draft.  Since they didn't, it puts off dealing with a possible vacuum at the position for the time being.  Buffalo did sign a value free agent at edge rusher in Eli Harold.  Harold is a little on the light side, but he does have  some potential, and he's still young at 25.  Then, of course, there is Darryl Johnson, the draft pick.  He's very raw, coming from a division 2 school, but he's got some nice physical traits and dominated that level of competition. He's not going to do much this year, but maybe in 2020, he'll be ready to make some noise.  I fully expect and edge rusher to get drafted next year.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Jerry is s high motor intense player. I think while he is not a Boy Scout 100% of the time he fits the mold for McDermott in terms of production and hustle. 

We also tend to not look at how guys are the rest of the week. It is my understanding Hughes is a person who prepares and practices hard. 

I hope the sign him to an an extension before the season starts. 

I agree with all this. Which is why even if there was such things like “McDermott guys” as OP claims (which there isn’t) Jerry would definitely qualify. Yeah he gets some dumb penalties. They aren’t bush penalties though. They are penalties bourne out of passion. He’s not Vontaze Burfict for god’s sake.

he’s the most underrated edge rusher in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Jerry Hughes is certainly and intense player, and that results in an occasional penalty, but I don't think that makes him less of a McDermott type player.  An extension is going to come down to cost versus anticipated production.  Some people thought Buffalo should have drafted an edge rusher fairly high in the just completed draft.  Since they didn't, it puts off dealing with a possible vacuum at the position for the time being.  Buffalo did sign a value free agent at edge rusher in Eli Harold.  Harold is a little on the light side, but he does have  some potential, and he's still young at 25.  Then, of course, there is Darryl Johnson, the draft pick.  He's very raw, coming from a division 2 school, but he's got some nice physical traits and dominated that level of competition. He's not going to do much this year, but maybe in 2020, he'll be ready to make some noise.  I fully expect and edge rusher to get drafted next year.  

You’ve made the same point I was trying to but said it better. Again I don’t think a “mcdermott guy” is a thing, beyond a guy that fits in his scheme and can help win games. And that’s all I wan’t anyways.

All of this nonsense in the OP’s original post is just that: nonsense. 

You know what “culture” is, as it relates to football teams and football coaches in particular? It’s not a philosophy, it’s not a mandate. It’s a tactic. It’s a slugline. It’s a cheap and easy way to lure rubes in to supporting you before you’ve ever proven anything. 

“Culture” is what unproven football coaches have relied on since the dawn of football to attract support from the fanbases susceptible to it. Those moralizing, hypocritical, old-timey fanbases (think Penn State). Unfortunately we’re still one of those. That’s painfully clear based solely on what some of you post around here.

Edited by JoPar_v2

14 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Someone explain the downside of picking up Lawson's option?  Since the shoulder injury he has not had any career threatening injuries. They will have a ton of cap space either way.  He is solidly above average against the run. Lined up next to Oliver he might be a bit better in rushing the passer this year.  He rarely is beaten to the outside. He hustles and doesn't seem to take plays off like Star.  Has not been a liability in terms of penalties that I recall.  Honestly other than being chosen by Whaley what has he done or not done that Beane would not pick up the option?

As to the OP premise, I agree edge is the biggest need. It was the biggest need this year, that is why I wanted Allen.  An inside pass rush from Oliver would be great.  I hope he pans out. But if he most compares to Aaron Donald, well he disappeared in the playoffs and was completely neutralized by the Patriots.  That said, with today's NFL offenses, I'm not sure there are a lot of pass plays that even allow the time for an edge rusher to get home.  And pushing the pocket up the middle does force the QB to move and that byes the DE or OLB a bit more time.  

I would pick up the Lawson option, and target OLB in FA or draft next year.  In today's defense the 4-3 Strong side OLB is really a hybrid guy.  He needs to play up in the base defense and move to DE in the nickel or dime packages.  He needs to be stout enough in the run especially against teams that have quality TE's than can run the ball effectively out of a 3 or 4 WR set.  Hard to find, but they are out there.  Allen or Sweat woudl have been great fits.  

But I'm down with the Oliver pick now.  Hope his "first step" is better than Maybin's famed first step.  

This is where I'm at. I do not see the reason to not pick up his option year. He has been productive, it is certainly affordable, and he seems to be improving each year. Why would they not?

13 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Unless Hughes regresses this year, I'd like to keep him. 

12 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

He's on the wrong side of 30, which is why I'd love to trade for Clowney. 

This indeed remains an area of concern going into next season. Oliver was a great pick 

I don't like the idea of trading for Clowney. IMO he has not lived up to his draft status and though he's a decent pass rusher I don't feel he's deserving of an elite contract. He strikes me as someone who will mail it in once he gets paid.  I think the presence of Oliver will greatly help Hughes and Lawson this season.

My guess is that Shaq Lawson gets the 5th Year Option.  It's only a one-year extension, at a pretty reasonable price ($14 million).  With our extensive cap space in 2020, that amount won't cause us any limitations in upgrading the rest of the roster.  He's also shown gradual improvement at a premium position.  I think it's a low-risk/high-reward.

Unless Jerry Hughes falls off a cliff this season, I also expect him to get an extension of 1-2 years.  He's easily our best pass rusher, and not a player who would be easily replaceable.  At his age, we may be able to get him at a discounted number from what we are currently paying.

Pass Rush is certainly something for Beane to consider adding more bodies to the rotation.  But it's not terribly pressing.  Both of these extensions are very realistic, and would give us until 2021-2022 before the position became a glaring problem.

11 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

You’ve made the same point I was trying to but said it better. Again I don’t think a “mcdermott guy” is a thing, beyond a guy that fits in his scheme and can help win games. And that’s all I wan’t anyways.

All of this nonsense in the OP’s original post is just that: nonsense. 

You know what “culture” is, as it relates to football teams and football coaches in particular? It’s not a philosophy, it’s not a mandate. It’s a tactic. It’s a slugline. It’s a cheap and easy way to lure rubes in to supporting you before you’ve ever proven anything. 

“Culture” is what unproven football coaches have relied on since the dawn of football to attract support from the fanbases susceptible to it. Those moralizing, hypocritical, old-timey fanbases (think Penn State). Unfortunately we’re still one of those. That’s painfully clear based solely on what some of you post around here.

Find me any successful business, organization, team, etc., etc. that does not have a well defined culture.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

As it stands DE is the only one we absolutely must take action on.

WR & OL are really TBD based on what we see this year. I think our WR corps might be set going into the 2020 season.

Maybe, just dont see a true number one WR on this team.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Maybe, just dont see a true number one WR on this team.

Eh, you don't really need a true number one WR nowadays in the NFL, as long as the rest of your WRs are decent.

With the addition of Brown and Beasly and Foster coming on strong in the 2nd half of the season last year, I think our WR group might end up being pretty good.  Hopefully Jones gets better, too.  Beane sure seems to have a good deal of confidence in him.

• Like (+1) 2

If Hughes still has gas left in the tank at the end of this season, I wouldn't doubt that they offer him a nice, short-term deal (one, two, maybe three years) and then if he plays out that deal and still wants to play, maybe that's what they keep doing. Kind of how they worked Kyle's contracts over his last few years here.

I honestly need to see how a couple of players play this year before identifying this.

For instance.....Spain is on a one year.....does he play well enough that we extend him?

This next draft is supposed to be deep in skill positions......do we go there and pluck our players much the same way DL was the position this year and we took Oliver?

10 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I don't like the idea of trading for Clowney. IMO he has not lived up to his draft status and though he's a decent pass rusher I don't feel he's deserving of an elite contract. He strikes me as someone who will mail it in once he gets paid.  I think the presence of Oliver will greatly help Hughes and Lawson this season.

Pressure up the middle will break the pocket and a lot of Hughes pressures will become sacks.  I believe he will have double digits this season.