Matt Miller says the Bills are targeting Ed Oliver at 9

HOUSE

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Agreed on all accounts.

This too

I'm convinced we will move up to get Allen, Williams, or Oliver. When you go through everything that has been talked about, it is our most critical need. McD loves the inside pass rush (more so than edge) and my $$$ is on Oliver.

37 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i could live with that. the only thing is who do we cut at wr? someone's not gonna make it. we can only carry so many. that being said, beasley/brown and foster are locks.

We STILL have a well below average WR room. The last thing I'm concerned about is which player works himself off the roster. JMO.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

We STILL have a well below average WR room. The last thing I'm concerned about is which player works himself off the roster. JMO.

With WR, there isn't a lot of separation on the top 3-4 and that depth lasts through RD2. I would even argue that we may take a TE before a WR based on these quotes:

“Yeah, I don't you know, I'm not one that subscribes to a ‘number one receiver.’ Receiver’s a position that comes in all sorts of sizes. You’ve got the guys that are 6-5, 6-6, and out-jumping people and going over the top. And then you’ve got some 5-7, 5-8 guys that are making plays. Even the Super Bowl champions, they've won with those types of guys. So there's a lot of different sizes, flavors, veterans, young guys, speed, size. We're just looking for good football players, good receivers that can make plays and that Josh can count on (that) when he throws them the ball, they're going to be where they're supposed to be and they're going to make the plays.”

"Yeah, I liked it when we were on offense, when it was third and about five, I knew we were going to go get a first down because we had Greg Olsen, McDermott started. "At an early age, I feel like that I learned how important that tight end position is to a quarterback and a particular young quarterback. It becomes a security blanket."

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't rule out they trade up a few spots to get Oliver. At the start of the college season this was a 2 man draft class - Bosa and Oliver. Bosa missed half the year injured and his stock is unaffected. Oliver put on a jacket his coach didn't want him to to and the media had him plummeting into the teens. If he is there at #9 the Bills take him but it is very possible maybe even likely that someone takes him before that. 

Yeah, a year ago Oliver was considered the next Donald. He played out of position for a year and put on a coat and his stock took a hit. He was an absolutely DOMINANT college player early in his career. He’s one of the best players in this draft and a future pro-bowler. He may be even better than that. Without getting carried away, I wouldn’t be shocked if he won a DPOY in his career. He can’t be blocked as a 3-technique. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, a year ago Oliver was considered the next Donald. He played out of position for a year and put on a coat and his stock took a hit. He was an absolutely DOMINANT college player early in his career. He’s one of the best players in this draft and a future pro-bowler. He may be even better than that. Without getting carried away, I wouldn’t be shocked if he won a DPOY in his career. He can’t be blocked as a 3-technique. 

This screams of a trade up if the bills believe that

Just now, John from Riverside said:

This screams of a trade up if the bills believe that

Jets are determined to trade out of #3 

According to multiple NFL sources, the Jets seem "determined" to trade down in the first round of the NFL Draft, which begins on Thursday in Nashville. Jets GM Mike Maccagnan has made it clear several times that he's "open" to the idea, though he may be downplaying just how open to it he actually is.

"They seem to really, really want to move down," said one NFL executive. "Maybe they're just keeping their options open, but it sure seems like that No. 3 pick is for sale."

18 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I'm convinced we will move up to get Allen, Williams, or Oliver. When you go through everything that has been talked about, it is our most critical need. McD loves the inside pass rush (more so than edge) and my $$$ is on Oliver.

They are nothing if not bold. 

They are willing to go get their guy, for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

100% agree. I have him and Bosa almost neck and neck as the best player in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

What does "targeting" mean in this sense? That he is the top guy on their board so they will take him if he is there? How is that different than sitting around hoping that he will be there and taking him if he is? The word "targeting" makes it sound as if they are actively trying to maneuver in the draft to make sure they get him.  If so, what are they doing to "target" him? Just seems like a reporter trying to make it sound like he actually has news to report. Oliver being a guy the Bills would definitely be interested in if he is still on the board is not exactly news as it has been speculated upon for many months.

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

They are nothing if not bold. 

They are willing to go get their guy, for sure. 

I think it will be the Bucs or NYG. I like NYG a lot as a move up as it isn't a huge jump in terms of picks to give up. 

Just now, Mickey said:

What does "targeting" mean in this sense? That he is the top guy on their board so they will take him if he is there? How is that different than sitting around hoping that he will be there and taking him if he is? The word "targeting" makes it sound as if they are actively trying to maneuver in the draft to make sure they get him.  If so, what are they doing to "target" him? Just seems like a reporter trying to make it sound like he actually has news to report. Oliver being a guy the Bills would definitely be interested in if he is still on the board is not exactly news as it has been speculated upon for many months.

From Beane:

I know I say ‘draft the best player available,’ and I truly mean that. But if there’s a guy that’s best player available and he fits a need, that is also telling you what you should do with the board,” Beane said. “It’s not that we’re trying to ignore needs, but that we’re trying to fill needs. But you can’t reach for needs, and that’s why I gave the example last time. If we had not picked the quarterback at #12 last year if we had stayed put and said, ‘Well, what the heck. We’re just going to pick a quarterback at #22, no matter who it is’ without having a first-round grade on them, then it doesn’t make sense.”

Beane: And that’s why I’m going to continue at times to be aggressive when it needs to be aggressive.”

McD “I don’t even know if this is a word … responsibly non-patient,” McDermott said. “Right? It’s like calculated aggressiveness." 

From Me:

We targeted a QB last year and when up to get him...

6 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I think it will be the Bucs or NYG. I like NYG a lot as a move up as it isn't a huge jump in terms of picks to give up. 

From Beane.

I think they might need to get over Tampa Bay.   McCoy might be out and Oliver would fit in there very well.  Would the Raiders deal? The Raiders might do anything.

Just now, purple haze said:

I think they might need to get over Tampa Bay.   McCoy might be out and Oliver would fit in there very well.  Would the Raiders deal? The Raiders might do anything.

Realistically how much to do want to give up? 49ers and Jets are in play I believe but that is like 2019-1 & 2, 2020-1 and maybe more. I would think teams would want more picks this year in a very deep draft? The Raiders certainly would like another #1 next season, the other teams might not....

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Realistically how much to do want to give up? 49ers and Jets are in play I believe but that is like 2019-1 & 2, 2020-1 and maybe more. I would think teams would want more picks this year in a very deep draft? The Raiders certainly would like another #1 next season, the other teams might not....

Surely the Jets won't deal in the division.

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Apparently we need to lock him in a room with SI's Gary Gramling (whoever that is) who said we are targeting DK Metcalf, and let them fight it out.

Not impossible for Beane to trade back into the 1st and grab Metcalf as well. 

As for Oliver, I can't complain with that selection. 

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't rule out they trade up a few spots to get Oliver. At the start of the college season this was a 2 man draft class - Bosa and Oliver. Bosa missed half the year injured and his stock is unaffected. Oliver put on a jacket his coach didn't want him to to and the media had him plummeting into the teens. If he is there at #9 the Bills take him but it is very possible maybe even likely that someone takes him before that. 

I could live with it if it's a 4th or lower or any combo of the last 5 we have. We have too many needs still to give up a 3rd or better.