Whatever Happened To Mike Quick?

18 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I heard they had a actual jail in the basement...or maybe that was the old Giant stadium? But yes..Veterans had the worst field in those days and they had massive seams on the turf to cover up where the base areas were (Phillies).

Not only did the Vet have a jail, it also had a courtroom.  Unruly drunks were given due process before they even had a chance to sober up.

Edited by Buffalo86
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is really odd, upon reading the title I assumed there must be another Mike Quick. Surely this couldn’t be about a somewhat obscure Eagles WR, but I was wrong.

Edited by chris heff
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Take a break from NFL Draft talk and let’s talk 1980’s football.  Some people will have to fill me in here.  As a youth I remember reading old NFL books in our school library and seeing a WR on the Eagles called Mike Quick.  An extremely interesting name considering his position.  That’s like a QB called Johnny Strongarm.

I digress.... Anyway by the time I started watching football, Quick was long gone and as a kid I always wondered what happened to him.

Recently I came across the name when looking up 99 yard TD scoring plays.  I happened to check out Quick’s stats and he put up some huge numbers his first few years.    He had the potential to be a top WR of the 1980’s, if not a HOF talent if he kept up the pace of his first 4 seasons.   Like a Jerry Rice level talent. 

But he didn’t - he fell off a cliff big time.  I’m wondering what happened with Quick?  I know he retired because of knee problems in 1990 but his stats seemed to have hit the wall years before then.

Http://www.nfl.com/player/mikequick/2523644/careerstats

At a hunch: Switch from Jaws to Cunningham at QB.  Quick's best years coincided with Jawarski's best years throwing for the Eagles.  Took Cunningham a few years to improve as a passer, and when he did he had other preferred targets (Kenny Jackson then Cris Carter)

But it may have just been injuries/age.  He had a 9 season career, and a lot of players didn't take as good care of themselves then as they do now.  He didn't start that many games his last 3 seasons, may have been struggling with injuries.  29 year old WR considered kind of ancient in the late '80s.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

At a hunch: Switch from Jaws to Cunningham at QB.  Quick's best years coincided with Jawarski's best years throwing for the Eagles.  Took Cunningham a few years to improve as a passer, and when he did he had other preferred targets (Kenny Jackson then Cris Carter)

But it may have just been injuries/age.  He had a 9 season career, and a lot of players didn't take as good care of themselves then as they do now.  He didn't start that many games his last 3 seasons, may have been struggling with injuries.  29 year old WR considered kind of ancient in the late '80s.

Interesting.... I didn’t consider the QB’s coming into play.

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Interesting.... I didn’t consider the QB’s coming into play.

I think that impacted him in '86 and '87, Cunningham's first years.  '86 he played a full season, and dropped off the most per-game.  Cunningham was more of an improvisational passer, especially his first years.  He rebounded in YPG the following season - as the lightbulb started to come on for Cunningham.

As the link posted above indicates, he broke a leg in '88 and then suffered limiting injuries the next 2 years.  All it takes....

5 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The 1980 & 1981 seasons on the field don't erase all the blunders & bad decisions made by the Bills until Bill Polian took over and why they were the NFL's laughingstock until Marv showed up in 1986.  I'll start one year before the 1980s, also it should be noted that the Bills were a laughingstock in the late 1960s and mid-late 1970s.  Most of this caused by Ralph's penny-pinching (I'd like to thank author Sal Maiorana and his book Relentless in aiding in the details of the accounts of some of the events below.  I remembered most of them but used his book as a reference to add to the details) :

1979-The Bills become the 1st, and to this date the only, team to ever lose the top pick in the entire NFL draft to the CFL.

1980-Rather than pay him, the Bills trade future HOFer Joe DeLamielleure to Cleveland at age 29, still in his prime.  He played 5 seasons with the Browns after the trade.  

1981-Let's start with the draft, one of the worst in team history, led by #1 pick Booker Moore who missed his rookie year with Guillain-Barre Syndrome and whether it was the aftereffects of the disease or just that he was a bust, he was a bust.  The best picks were in the 9th-11th rounds. 

In June Jim Haslett got so frustrated with his contract negotiations that he filed unfair labor practice charges against the Bills with the National Labor Relations Board.  He later fired his agent & re-signed in August.

1982-The aforementioned Perry Tuttle blunder.  Overall another horrible draft with only Eugene Marve in the 3rd round providing any long term contribution.  

In one of the strangest moments in Bills history the Bills cut rookie kicker Gary Anderson, who went on to a long career in the NFL and kept Nick Mike-Mayer who ended up getting cut in September.  For years there have been rumors that Anderson was so upset with being drafted by the Bills that he tanked preseason so that he could get cut & picked up by the Pittsburgh Steelers.  

In a strike year when no games were played from late September until November 21st Joe Cribbs held out and didn't report until November 24th.  

1983-Chuck Knox resigns after the 1982 season, starting the eras of Kay Stephenson & subsequently Hank Bullough.

Jim Kelly is in the Bills offices talking contract and the USFL calls to tell him not to sign with the Bills.  A secretary takes the call & interrupts the meeting so Kelly can talk with the USFL representative-IN THE BILLS OFFICE!   He signs with the USFL and we lose 3 seasons without him before finally signing him in 1986.

In July Joe Cribbs has now had enough with the Bills and signs a future contract with the USFL. He plays in 1983 and leaves for the USFL after the season.  Losing him and Jim Kelly set the stage for back to back 2-14 seasons although Cribbs does return in midseason 1985. 

1984-The Bills are now a laughingstock on the field as well as off it, going 2-14 and having the worst record in the NFL. 

1985-In spite of having the worst record in 1984, the Bills retain coach Kay Stephenson.

The Bills deal the 1st pick in the supplemental draft to Cleveland so that Cleveland can draft Bernie Kosar.  Part of the deal includes sending talented LB Chip Banks to Buffalo.  Banks refuses to report & the trade is revised where Banks is allowed to return to Cleveland rather than ever play for the Bills.  

In October the Kay Stephenson era ends with his firing and the elevation of the man who will go down in history as one of the worst, if not the worst head coaches in Bills history, Hank Bullough.  

Later in October Joe Cribbs returns from the USFL.  Within a month he has become so disgruntled that he put strips of athletic tape on his locker with a sign that read "Buffalo Prison"  

1986-The Bills finally started doing things right, signed Jim Kelly and under new GM Bill Polian's urging, got Ralph to loosen his wallet and put together a decent staff off the field.  Of course, the Marv Levy era didn't start until after the Bills traded the multi-year disgruntled Joe Cribbs and had the embarrassment of the team's defensive players tanking in Tampa in order to get Hank Bullough fired.  

Excellent post.  IIRC Knox quit the Bills after the 1981 season because he wanted to acquire some better players  but Wilson nixed that. Like Lou Saban in the 1960s and then the early 1970s, Knox had control of personnel but he was still subject to interference from Wilson and Wilson's advisors, several of whom were hired only because they were Wilson's pals. 

An interesting book on the 1980 Bills-- the team that ended zero-for-the-seventies against Miami --  is "Talking Proud - Rediscovering the Magical Season of the 1980 Buffalo Bills" by Rich Blake.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I's say this is a pretty good hunch, backing it up with some facts. Quick's productivity did decrease with Jaworski's starts. 83-85 were big years for him, Jaws missed a total of 7 starts.  He missed 7 in 86 which was his last year as an eagle, Quick's last good season. Believe it was Keith Jackson not Kenny.

2 hours ago, Steve O said:

I's say this is a pretty good hunch, backing it up with some facts. Quick's productivity did decrease with Jaworski's starts. 83-85 were big years for him, Jaws missed a total of 7 starts.  He missed 7 in 86 which was his last year as an eagle, Quick's last good season. Believe it was Keith Jackson not Kenny.

Good memory, but it's both Jacksons.  The Iggles of that era had a WR named Kenny who preceded a TE named Keith

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good memory, but it's both Jacksons.  The Iggles of that era had a WR named Kenny who preceded a TE named Keith

That's as bad as the Bills having three or four Williams a few years ago.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:16 AM, SoTier said:

The Bills have demonstrated an almost magical ability to trade up to take the wrong player, which is an indictment of how bad their scouting and personnel decision making have been over the decades -- and that seems to regardless of the regime.   Their more recent trade up faux pas include trading back into the 1st in 2004 to draft JP Losman when they could have taken Matt Schaub in the 2nd or even maybe the third and gotten a significantly better QB -- or they could have simply waited until 2005 to take Aaron Rodgers with their #18 pick.  Russ Brandon and Dick Jauron traded back into the first round in 2006 to take John McCargo who barely played because of injury issues so just about anybody else would have been a better pick.  In 2012 Buddy Nix traded up in the third round to take forgettable WR TJ Graham instead of taking QB Russell Wilson.  In 2014, the  Bills traded their 2014 and 2015 first round picks to draft WR Sammy Watkins rather than Odell Beckham Jr or Mike Evans.  Finally, Brandon and McDermott traded up in the 2nd round in 2017 to take Zay Jones rather than JuJu Smith-Schuster.  Hopefully, Beane breaks the pattern because he traded up twice in the first round of the 2018 draft to take Josh Allen and/or Tremaine Edmunds.

Awesome history lesson!!!

This of course omits the times where the Bills stood pat and made insane selections such as Whitner, McKelvin, a half crippled MaGahee, and a host of others.  Then on a rare trade down, they walked away from Mahomes and Watson.

This particular draft will tell us much about our future.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/13/2019 at 7:16 AM, SoTier said:

The Bills have demonstrated an almost magical ability to trade up to take the wrong player, which is an indictment of how bad their scouting and personnel decision making have been over the decades -- and that seems to regardless of the regime.   Their more recent trade up faux pas include trading back into the 1st in 2004 to draft JP Losman when they could have taken Matt Schaub in the 2nd or even maybe the third and gotten a significantly better QB -- or they could have simply waited until 2005 to take Aaron Rodgers with their #18 pick.  Russ Brandon and Dick Jauron traded back into the first round in 2006 to take John McCargo who barely played because of injury issues so just about anybody else would have been a better pick.  In 2012 Buddy Nix traded up in the third round to take forgettable WR TJ Graham instead of taking QB Russell Wilson.  In 2014, the  Bills traded their 2014 and 2015 first round picks to draft WR Sammy Watkins rather than Odell Beckham Jr or Mike Evans.  Finally, Brandon and McDermott traded up in the 2nd round in 2017 to take Zay Jones rather than JuJu Smith-Schuster.  Hopefully, Beane breaks the pattern because he traded up twice in the first round of the 2018 draft to take Josh Allen and/or Tremaine Edmunds.

re TJ Grahm - saw a special about Wilson where they showed the Seattle war room in 2012 before their third round pick. They knew they no chance to get Wilson once the Bills traded ahead of them in the third. Then they showed the announcement of the Bills pick. Big sigh of relief in the war room. Make sure you don't have anything close buy that can be thrown through your TV if you ever see the special.

Re Watkins - I wanted the Bills to stand pat and pick Aaron Donald with that pick. They also could have had Mack with the pick they traded up to

Re Jones - Ever the optimist, I'm hoping the book is still out. Moulds didn't pan out until his third year. we'll see.

Edited by Steve O