Further evidence that Jerry Hughes is one of the best DE in the game?

PFF has him as the 44th rated player in the NFL (they must've adjusted his numbers since this write up).  I didn't realize he had that good of a season.  Interesting to see if they approach him with an extension this offseason.

44. JERRY HUGHES, BUFFALO BILLS

Top 101 appearances: 1

Jerry Hughes has got better with age, as he’s coming off by far the best year of his career after nine seasons in the NFL. Hughes recorded 74 total pressures (54 hurries, 12 hits, eight sacks) on 375 pass-rush snaps, giving him the best pass-rush productivity rating (10.9) among all qualifying edge defenders in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Thats about all the response you deserve.  Its hard playing DE when the QB has a nice pocket to step into.  0 pressure up the middle.  Also Officials that target him.

Probably MJS with his great analysis.

Well Garrett doesnt show up on the list of guys on the left.  Could you explain this?

It would be absolutely dominant to appear on both sides at top 5. But I'm just curious if some guys are 95% right side, while others might be 80%. I could also be way off. Just curious.

19 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

PFF has him as the 44th rated player in the NFL (they must've adjusted his numbers since this write up).  I didn't realize he had that good of a season.  Interesting to see if they approach him with an extension this offseason.

44. JERRY HUGHES, BUFFALO BILLS

Top 101 appearances: 1

Jerry Hughes has got better with age, as he’s coming off by far the best year of his career after nine seasons in the NFL. Hughes recorded 74 total pressures (54 hurries, 12 hits, eight sacks) on 375 pass-rush snaps, giving him the best pass-rush productivity rating (10.9) among all qualifying edge defenders in the NFL.

This is what I was saying in the other thread.  He deserves to get a nice 3 year contract.  DE's still can get after the QB at that age.    Gotta retain him unless somehow we get other people to replace his production which wont be easy.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Maybe someday you will learn the finer details of football.

Typical response telling somebody to "learn football" while providing no actual substance in the response

Like I said

I'd like to see other numbers to go along with it

Double teams faced

Percent of snaps he had pressure 

Etc

45 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Well you clearly dont know what youre talking about. 

Anyhow...nobody is mentioning the fact that not only does he apply the most pressure from the right side...Im also sure he is the most HELD pass rusher from that side. And like his pressure numbers...its likely not even close

Actually everybody is acting like he's Bruce Smith reincarnated because of this one stat

Just now, eball said:

Annnnnd, I’ve seen enough to ignore further “analysis” from you. :lol:

You act like I called him trash.

He's solid to good.

Meaning above average to borderline probowl.

Not elite or dominant.

Take off the bills-colored glasses.

46 minutes ago, Magox said:

This is what I was saying in the other thread.  He deserves to get a nice 3 year contract.  DE's still can get after the QB at that age.    Gotta retain him unless somehow we get other people to replace his production which wont be easy.

This is what I’m screaming!  Give the man a nice 2-3 year deal.  He’s still playing at a high level.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

You act like I called him trash.

He's solid to good.

Meaning above average to borderline probowl.

Not elite or dominant.

Take off the bills-colored glasses.

I didn’t know PFF was a Bills-centric site. Thanks for the heads up. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, eball said:

I didn’t know PFF was a Bills-centric site. Thanks for the heads up. 

Pff didn't act like he's the best de in football

Pff just said he had the most pressures from the right

Bills forum fans are the ones who took that and ran with it

(By the way I just realized what your avatar is, I love it)

3 minutes ago, noacls said:

I would take everyone of those players in the graph over Hughes. 

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

Typical response telling somebody to "learn football" while providing no actual substance in the response

Like I said

I'd like to see other numbers to go along with it

Double teams faced

Percent of snaps he had pressure 

Etc

Actually everybody is acting like he's Bruce Smith reincarnated because of this one stat

Actually it was said in the thread he had the highest edge productivity (pressure on 20% of his rushes seems really good). So... can we say he’s really good now?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

Actually it was said in the thread he had the highest edge productivity (pressure on 20% of his rushes seems really good). So... can we say he’s really good now?

Saw that.

Read the list.

He's like the #8 edge rusher last season.

He's also been in the league 9 years and this was by far his best season.

Was it an outlier?

Or did he finally get a coach+DC combo who used his properly?

He had a dominant season.

I hope he does it again.

I'll gladly eat crow if he does @eball and @formerlyofCtown

I think it was a career year for him and he will come back to earth, though I'd prefer it to be the new norm.

Point was that singular stat isn't the whole story.

Know who wasn't on that graph??

Khalil Mack.

He was also the highest rated edge on PFF last year.

That graph doesn't tell the whole story.

I bet every GM and coach in the NFL would take any guy on that graph over Hughes.

Edited by SouthNYfan

17 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Saw that.

Read the list.

He's like the #8 edge rusher last season.

He's also been in the league 9 years and this was by far his best season.

Was it an outlier?

Or did he finally get a coach+DC combo who used his properly?

He had a dominant season.

I hope he does it again.

I'll gladly eat crow if he does @eball and @formerlyofCtown

I think it was a career year for him and he will come back to earth, though I'd prefer it to be the new norm.

Point was that singular stat isn't the whole story.

Know who wasn't on that graph??

Khalil Mack.

He was also the highest rated edge on PFF last year.

That graph doesn't tell the whole story.

I bet every GM and coach in the NFL would take any guy on that graph over Hughes.

So it could definitely be an outlier year but I think he’s always brought a fair amount of pressure.

I couldn’t find the PFF rankings but if the above is to be believed then Mack is probably excelling in the run game.  

Since this is the NFL and contracts matter a bit I think Jerry’s 9 mil cap hit would be a lot more valuable than Lawrence or Clowney 20 mil hits (speculating on clowneys)

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

The most underrated DE/edge rusher in the game

So Hughes was 2nd in pressures in the whole league and first on the right side , where he's battling the LT , usually the teams best OL.

He absolutely dominated the competition on that side though. 13 more than Garrett and 16 more than Clowney , both former #1 overall picks. 

For more context , Hughes was apart of a rotation and didn't have anyone else on the line that was elite at rushing the passer last year. Well maybe Lorax but he's only rushing the QB on a part time basis. 

When you look at these names , they are all considered elite  and commonly mentioned on a national level for their pass rushing ability. If you were to mention Hughes in the same conversation as these guys , most ppl would look at you like you have 2 heads . He is criminally underrated and last year was arguably his best season to date!

Jerry Hughes is a top 5 DE!

I think the Bills attempt to trade up for the top edge rusher or DT on their board to get Hughes some help while he's still in his prime. I also believe he is re signed for a 3 year deal after this season. Such an Elite talent that consistently causes havoc in the backfield , I'd be so happy to see another elite DE opposite Hughes.

Some day Watt will be a Bill, as he always should have been, thanks Dareus :angry:

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Magox said:

I'm guessing is his agent was competent they were waiting until all the big DE names in free agency were signed to get what they see as fair market value.  Given his age and our cap space, I could see him getting around a new three year 36 million dollar contract (20 million guaranteed) contract that's front loaded.  Maybe add in some incentives for production (sacks).  Fricken Murphy got 7.5 million per year.  I think 12 to 14 million a year would be fair if the Bills decide he's worth it. 

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm guessing is his agent was competent they were waiting until all the big DE names in free agency were signed to get what they see as fair market value.  Given his age and our cap space, I could see him getting around a new three year 36 million dollar contract (20 million guaranteed) contract that's front loaded.  Maybe add in some incentives for production (sacks).  Fricken Murphy got 7.5 million per year.  I think 12 to 14 million a year would be fair if the Bills decide he's worth it. 

Im on board with this amount.. I think it’s fair... maybe a few more million guaranteed so he essentially gets 2020 and 2021 secured in Buffalo..

Hope he is still playing well enough to see the last year of the deal.. based on his form this year I would say there is a good chance.. he will be 34 that last year but that’s not over the hill these days..