Which Prospects Do You NOT Want The Bills To Draft?

28 minutes ago, Logic said:

Rashan Gary makes me nervous for some reason.

Any cornerback before the 4th round, because White, Wallace, and Johnson seem to be the locked in starting trio. If the answer is "for competition and depth!", I say: Why did we sign Kevin Johnson and EJ Gaines and hang on to Ryan Lewis and Lafayette Pitts, then?

Normally I'm all for drafting a corner every year. After solidifying our starting three and signing Johnson and Gaines, though, I'm against using a day 1 or 2 pick on a corner this year. It just doesn't make any sense from a roster building standpoint, and the Bills have too many other needs.

I wouldn’t say I’m “for it”, but I can see them taking a corner in the 2nd or 3rd. From a roster building standpoint it does make sense to me, because these draft picks are theirs for 4 years. The draft is not just for this year, they are building the team for now and for the future. They don’t seem sold on Levi yet, and that won’t change before the draft. As a UDFA they will be thrilled if he’s good enough to earn that job but they aren’t handing it to him nor are they overly committed to him having not spent a pick on him. Kevin Johnson and EJ Gaines are the only other starting caliber outside corners and they are both incredibly injury prone and both on 1 year deals. Taron Johnson is strictly a slot guy. Other two strictly depth at thus point. If their pick comes up in the 2nd or later and the BPA on their board is a corner I don’t see them passing just because it’s a corner. I don’t see that happening in the 1st though for a number of reasons. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

my picks all hang on WHEN we draft them:

if we move UP - Jonah Williams. Nothing against him, but I think we could have got a solid OL if we just stayed at 9.

at 9 - I don't want a TE. It is just too high of a pick for a position like that. Especially this year when the pool is loaded.

if we move BACK - any WR that is not from Ole Miss (aka Harry/Brown/Harmon) we have speedsters with Brown/Foster, we need a dominant #1WR

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

@DC Tom, I’m told his 40 time is measured on a sundial, but it takes more than one go round. I can’t say for sure, but I trust the self reporting.... Maybe he can set the edge? 

Last time I ran the 40 it was measured with the 2014, 2015, and 2016 calendars.  

But I finished.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wouldn’t say I’m “for it”, but I can see them taking a corner in the 2nd or 3rd. From a roster building standpoint it does make sense to me, because these draft picks are theirs for 4 years. The draft is not just for this year, they are building the team for now and for the future. They don’t seem sold on Levi yet, and that won’t change before the draft. As a UDFA they will be thrilled if he’s good enough to earn that job but they aren’t handing it to him nor are they overly committed to him having not spent a pick on him. Kevin Johnson and EJ Gaines are the only other starting caliber outside corners and they are both incredibly injury prone and both on 1 year deals. Taron Johnson is strictly a slot guy. Other two strictly depth at thus point. If their pick comes up in the 2nd or later and the BPA on their board is a corner I don’t see them passing just because it’s a corner. I don’t see that happening in the 1st though for a number of reasons. 

Normally I'm tooootally with you, Yolo. I even think there's a decent chance they WOULD draft a corner early...say, a Rock Ya Sin, for instance. But like I said, for just one year...just ONE YEAR, I'd like to see them not take a corner high. If they want to take a flyer in the 4th or later, I'm all for it. I just don't see the sense in bringing in what would in all likelihood be the 6th corner on the depth chart. You want to draft guys you're sure can make your roster. I know Johnson and Gaines are injury prone, but it's hard for me to envision a 2nd or 3rd round rookie beating one of them out for a job. So you say "well what about NEXT year and the year after that?"...but we have a DRAFT next year, not to mention $100 million in cap space. 

Typically I'm a "take a corner every year" guy, but the way they've set up their roster this year, they're rock solid from the 1-5 spot, in my opinion. Even the 6 and 7 spots, with Lewis and Pitts, aren't so bad. Those guys played real snaps for us last year and weren't liabilities.

4th or later? Take your shot. In the first three rounds, though, when the Bills NEED a TE, DT, Edge, OT, WR, RB, and Strong side LB? I just don't see it as the best use of resources THIS YEAR. 

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Normally I'm tooootally with you, Yolo. I even think there's a decent chance they WOULD draft a corner early...say, a Rock Ya Sin, for instance. But like I said, for just one year...just ONE YEAR, I'd like to see them not take a corner high. If they want to take a flyer in the 4th or later, I'm all for it. I just don't see the sense in bringing in what would in all likelihood be the 6th corner on the depth chart. You want to draft guys you're sure can make your roster. I know Johnson and Gaines are injury prone, but it's hard for me to envision a 2nd or 3rd round rookie beating one of them out for a job. So you say "well what about NEXT year and the year after that?"...but we have a DRAFT next year, not to mention $100 million in cap space. 

Typically I'm a "take a corner every year" guy, but the way they've set up their roster this year, they're rock solid from the 1-5 spot, in my opinion. Even the 6 and 7 spots, with Lewis and Pitts, aren't so bad. Those guys played real snaps for us last year and weren't liabilities.

4th or later? Take your shot. In the first three rounds, though, when the Bills NEED a TE, DT, Edge, OT, WR, RB, and Strong side LB? I just don't see it as the best use of resources THIS YEAR. 

They didn’t take one last year until the 4th... or  2016 (former regime) they waited until the 6th. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Last time I ran the 40 it was measured with the 2014, 2015, and 2016 calendars.  

But I finished.  

I do like the stick-to-it-ive-ness (yeah, I make stuff up!),  and that will help in the interviews, but if you are still finishing out the opener at the bye week, well.....keep that day job. 

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They didn’t take one last year until the 4th... or  2016 (former regime) they waited until the 6th. 

That's true.

In continuing to think about this....I also think that Levi Wallace has a chance to be damn good. Ditto Taron Johnson. If my feeling is correct, the Bills have a starting three locked in on cheap deals for the next 4 years. There simply isn't space for a high draftee at corner to get significant snaps. I suppose the only way you feel good about it is if you think the draftee would be an upgrade over Wallace, which would push him out of the job and relegate him to "1st off the bench" status. Personally, though, I want to give Wallace a chance to shine as CB2. And it's not as if they're not going to make him earn it. He'll have serious competition from EJ Gaines (who we already know can be a good CB2 for this team) and Kevin Johnson (a guy with 1st round pedigree). And even IF one of those two guys beats out Levi Wallace, what's top stop the Bills from re-signing them and STILL having their top 3 locked in? 

At the end of the day, if a cornerback is truly the no-doubt-about-it BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE when their 2nd or 3rd round pick came up and they decided to take him, so be it. I'm not gonna freak out or anything. I realize the importance of cornerbacks to football in the year 2019. I just think there are better avenues to take this year.

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

That's true.

In continuing to think about this....I also think that Levi Wallace has a chance to be damn good. Ditto Taron Johnson. If my feeling is correct, the Bills have a starting three locked in on cheap deals for the next 4 years. There simply isn't space for a high draftee at corner to get significant snaps. I suppose the only way you feel good about it is if you think the draftee would be an upgrade over Wallace, which would push him out of the job and relegate him to "1st off the bench" status. Personally, though, I want to give Wallace a chance to shine as CB2. And it's not as if they're not going to make him earn it. He'll have serious competition from EJ Gaines (who we already know can be a good CB2 for this team) and Kevin Johnson (a guy with 1st round pedigree). And even IF one of those two guys beats out Levi Wallace, what's top stop the Bills from re-signing them and STILL having their top 3 locked in? 

At the end of the day, if a cornerback is truly the no-doubt-about-it BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE when their 2nd or 3rd round pick came up and they decided to take him, so be it. I'm not gonna freak out or anything. I realize the importance of cornerbacks to football in the year 2019. I just think there are better avenues to take this year.

I think they have put themselves in a position to not have to take a corner high, which is good. Great, actually.  But all depends on how the board falls. I like Levi a lot but I’m not sure they are sold. Small sample size and issues in run support. That said he’s not a finished product by any means. I really like our secondary 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Should be our 1st and 2nd round pick

Should be our 2nd and 3rd round picks.  Probably won't be there, I know.  Our first round selection has to be, without a doubt, a blue chip DT, whomever that may be.  Kyle Williams retired AND we got ran on pretty bad against Leonard Fournette and our rematch with the Paytoilets.  We need big beef on the interior of the D-line to keep our LBs from getting buried.  

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000992352/Leonard-Fournette-s-toughest-runs-vs-the-Bills-Week-12

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I normally agree with you on this, but people keep forgetting DK was on his way to a big season but had the neck injury.  He's not just a combine warrior.  I had been saying all offseason long before the combine he was likely going to be the top WR on the board come draft day, and many others here and in the media said the same thing.  Its not like the combine took an obscure guy and brought him into the light.  

People who don't know a lot about him check his stats and don't check the context.  So I get while at first glance he looks underwhelming from production side, but had he not have gotten hurt he would be talked about as a top 5 pick even before the combine and would have even more Calvin and Julio comparisons.  

Like I said, I am not a fan of combine heroes either, but it doesn't always tell the whole story.  DK has immense potential and is not just a combine hero.  None of that guarantees success, but he is certainly a better prospect than just a guy who did well at the combine.  

Now, if we could just erase the fact that he had season ending NECK surgery.  

I was totally against Ed Oliver because he did zero in the games i watched and he acted the fool on the sidelines, but that short shuttle and athleticism are hard to over look . Hes still jot my favorite but i wont be pissed if we draft him.

the guy i dont understand is Hollywood Brown. Guy is a midget and injury prone and i saw him come up short when it counted . We have had many super fast "dynamic" receivers here that did nothing, we don't need another, especially in the first.

9 hours ago, Rico said:

Just say NO to Hock and Isabella.

28911775001_5980646606001_5980632373001-

maxresdefault.jpg

i really hope we get both of these guys, super productive athletic players, sign me up.

7 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Well someone had to say it. Kyler Murray? Right? 

Too small, system quarterback, he may die on the field if Aaron Donald sacks him too hard. 

I kid kid. 

For me it’s absolutely Metcalf. I’m having weird flashbacks to the Maybin pick. Obviously kinda different but still the same premise for me. Very little production on tape and an elite combine. If I’m picking in the top 10 I gotta have a player who was productive and elite in college. 

He is the size of maybin, so he already is ahead of the game.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t, at all, understand the hate for Oliver. He was an elite prospect with elite production. He had a down year last year but was doubled or tripled every play. If he were 10 lbs. heavier we wouldn’t get a sniff at him. He’s going to be a star.

The guy that I don’t want early is probably Dillard. He’s a little finesse for me. He’s good in the pass game but there are a lot of questions in the run game. If I am taking an OL in the top 10 he better not have holes. I don’t think that he’s a bad player but not a guy that I want in the top 10.

I, like YOLO, know that Prince stinks. Just say no!!

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

Ed Oliver is the #2 player on my board. The Bills should be delighted if he falls to them (and I think they love him). 

Add me to the "no to Metcalf" group. Lacks consistency in production and effort. 

Greg Little is probably not in play at #9 but could be if they moved back and I'd detest that pick too. 

Already wondering what the excuses will be for when Metcalf is dominating. I get the feeling the word hindsight will be used a lot. 

“Elite WR don’t win Super Bowls anyway”

”he wouldn’t have done well in OUR offense”

”the Impact of the DT we drafted doesn’t show up on the stat sheet”

The only legit reason not to draft him is if the injury is lingering and serious, but I’ll leave that to the doctors. 

• Like (+1) 3