Two Parkland Shooting Survivors (Teens) Commit Suicide Within a Week of Each Other

Gugny

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Another survivor committed suicide yesterday.  Reportedly a sophomore in high school. 

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article228350134.html

:cry: 

Should I ask the question or get the pious one's all upset again... Maybe I will just read the article.

31 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

First of all, we don't have the second amendment here.  Gun ownership is a privilege and not a "right".

Before the government even announced the new gun laws, the nations biggest chain of hunting stores voluntarily decided to remove all "assault" type weapons from their shelves.

Yeah, thank heavens is right... I honestly thank God every day that we moved here.  14 years now.  Absolutely love it.

Oh... maybe you were also being sarcastic.

Did you know that it only took Australia to change their gun laws 12 days after their last massacre in 1996?  You probably didn't.

1996 was their last massacre?  How many since?  That's almost 25 freaking years ago.  How many since?  By the way you phrased it, I take zero?

1 minute ago, bbb said:

How does a law get passed in those countries vs. the US?  

These new gun laws are a bit unique since it has just about complete public support, in addition... all political parties are supporting it.

Can you imagine having a government where parties get along and try to work with one another for the common good? 

The bill generally gets debated in Parliament and if passed, becomes law (Act of Parliament).

Just curious if American media is reporting that the shooter was actually an Australian who moved to NZ to specifically do this heinous act?

He moved here a couple years ago and was able to legally buy these assault weapons and isn't even a NZ citizen.  Not good.

One of the most frustrating/annoying things about this all is how the American NRA has put "boots on the ground" in NZ to try to influence NZ politics.

Kiwi's are pissed.  Just leave us the hell alone, NRA.

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

1996 was their last massacre?  How many since?  That's almost 25 freaking years ago.  How many since?  By the way you phrased it, I take zero?

Correct.  There have not been any since then.

"The University of Sydney, in a 2016 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, found Australia hadn't experienced a fatal mass shooting – one in which five or more people are killed – since the 1996 shooting. In the 18 years prior, 1979-1996, there were 13 fatal mass shootings in Australia."

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

These new gun laws are a bit unique since it has just about complete public support, in addition... all political parties are supporting it.

Can you imagine having a government where parties get along and try to work with one another for the common good? 

The bill generally gets debated in Parliament and if passed, becomes law (Act of Parliament).

Just curious if American media is reporting that the shooter was actually an Australian who moved to NZ to specifically do this heinous act?

He moved here a couple years ago and was able to legally buy these assault weapons and isn't even a NZ citizen.  Not good.

One of the most frustrating/annoying things about this all is how the American NRA has put "boots on the ground" in NZ to try to influence NZ politics.

There is 5 million people in NZ.  There are 10 million people from WI-IL-IN area... 325.25 million in US.

Just saying.

19 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Correct.  There have not been any since then.

"The University of Sydney, in a 2016 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, found Australia hadn't experienced a fatal mass shooting – one in which five or more people are killed – since the 1996 shooting. In the 18 years prior, 1979-1996, there were 13 fatal mass shootings in Australia."

No....they're still trying to get out of their collective shellshock over the results of the Mueller report. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Thank god. 

I am the NRA.  If you lived in a rural state, Texas for example, you’d want a rifle in your house for your wife to protect herself, and your kids, while you’re out working on the ranch all day.

As always, JMO

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

There is 5 million people in NZ.  There are 10 million people from WI-IL-IN area... 325.25 million in US.

Just saying.

That's true it is not as easy to govern so many, but the concept that political parties work together for a common good is the antithesis of our country right now. People seem more concerned about their political 'team' 'winning' more than the common good or even their own best interest. Divide and conquer, the people argue like 12 year olds while the country and its future continue to be ransacked and looted. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bad Things said:

First of all, we don't have the second amendment here.  Gun ownership is a privilege and not a "right".

Before the government even announced the new gun laws, the nations biggest chain of hunting stores voluntarily decided to remove all "assault" type weapons from their shelves.

Yeah, thank heavens is right... I honestly thank God every day that we moved here.  14 years now.  Absolutely love it.

Oh... maybe you were also being sarcastic.

Did you know that it only took Australia to change their gun laws 12 days after their last massacre in 1996?  You probably didn't.

Yeah, actually I did. You see, you're a loyal subject of the crown and you like it. That's fine.  Being subject to the whim of government works for you. Just make sure you properly address your betters; "if it pleases the queen, may I continue to own my own property?"

How "civilized."

:lol:

Edited by Joe in Winslow

5 hours ago, Turk71 said:

That's true it is not as easy to govern so many, but the concept that political parties work together for a common good is the antithesis of our country right now. People seem more concerned about their political 'team' 'winning' more than the common good or even their own best interest. 

Let me guess: you're a democrat.  Because only a democrat would have the temerity to try and tell me what my best interest is. That is the reason we have a political divide in this country. One side wishes to force depravity, er I mean "progress" on the other.

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The manner and speed in which the discussion on this topic has devolved is a great example of why it's so difficult to get anywhere.  Jesus.

Sorry, I'm not about to have my knowledge questioned by an overbearingly virtuous guy who left the US for New Zealand. I'll try to be nicer to Her Majesty's loyal subject in the future.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The manner and speed in which the discussion on this topic has devolved is a great example of why it's so difficult to get anywhere.  Jesus.

what is the solution/alternative, Gugs? censorship?

no, if you don't like the direction something is taking, steer it where you want it to go. you did start this thread after all.

Edited by Foxx

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

what is the alternative, Gugs? censorship?

no, if you don't like the direction something is taking, steer it where you want it to go. you did start this thread after all.

Hell no to censorship.

It's all good/relevant conversation (especially bringing the NRA into it).  I'd just like to see less finger-pointing and more discussing what is wrong and how it can possibly be fixed.

As much as a topic like this should not be politicized, there's really no avoiding it.

Fergy's post above captures the real meaning for posting about this.  But a discussion about guns and violence needs to be had.  I just didn't think it was going to happen in this thread.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Hell no to censorship.

It's all good/relevant conversation (especially bringing the NRA into it).  I'd just like to see less finger-pointing and more discussing what is wrong and how it can possibly be fixed.

As much as a topic like this should not be politicized, there's really no avoiding it.

Fergy's post above captures the real meaning for posting about this.  But a discussion about guns and violence needs to be had.  I just didn't think it was going to happen in this thread.

cheers

:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Hell no to censorship.

You are never going to get a conversation without finger pointing

Most of us outside your country can't understand why everyone in the US feels the need to carry a gun everywhere because we dont live in a place where we feel the need to be worried that if we left our wife and children inside our home for a minute, someone will break in and rape/murder them, or that if we didnt have a gun, the country would be taken over, or the government would enslave us all.

Edited by apuszczalowski

19 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Most of us outside your country can't understand why everyone in the US feels the need to carry a gun everywhere because we dont live in a place where we feel the need to be worried that if we left our wife and children inside our home for a minute, someone will break in and rape/murder them, or that if we didnt have a gun, the country would be taken over, or the government would enslave us all.

Theres no raping or crime where you live ? 

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Hell no to censorship.

Sorry... I am guilty of the finger pointing.

I will try better not to do that.

How do you get people to capture the real meaning?  Stop thinking about themselves first.  It's like a wild west saloon out there and nobody is checking their weapon. There has to be be full compliance.  Heck, you can't even get people to wait @ a red light when there is no traffic around!

What's the answer for the Surly Joe's of the world?

8 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Theres no raping or crime where you live ? 

There is no paranoia.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

Not enough where people fear that they need to be armed 24/7 to protect themselves because they believe everyone is out there waiting to rape or kill them......

Exactly!

It's a downward spiral into the wild west.  Look at the Dallas road rage beat down, punch up.  Dude, comes out brandishing a weapon.  Now... Both are really to blame here... But really... That needed to be escalated with a firearm?

YES, WTF was she doing slapping him up side the head AFTER he slapped her phone away?  But really... Notice the piece he's brandishing.  The only reason he's doing that is because, he does not know who else may be packing.

This is how we solve traffic issues (which I believe she purposefully flaunted).  Really?

15 hours ago, Bad Things said:

The American media stopped caring about this incident within 48 hours as it didn’t offer a direct path to blaming Trump.

12 hours ago, Turk71 said:

That's true it is not as easy to govern so many, but the concept that political parties work together for a common good is the antithesis of our country right now. People seem more concerned about their political 'team' 'winning' more than the common good or even their own best interest. Divide and conquer, the people argue like 12 year olds while the country and its future continue to be ransacked and looted. 

Yup, this is at the core of every problem.  It has been a downward spiral, especially over the last 25 years.

Edited by KD in CA

10 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yeah, actually I did. You see, you're a loyal subject of the crown and you like it. That's fine.  Being subject to the whim of government works for you. Just make sure you properly address your betters; "if it pleases the queen, may I continue to own my own property?"

How "civilized."

Yeah, you keep believing what you want to believe to keep you happy.

Fortunately I still own property, pay taxes and have the right to vote in the US.

9 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

What country do you live in?....................I have never held a gun, and I don't know anybody who carries one, to my knowledge.  

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Now THAT is a shame.

Shoulda checked it at the door, since you seem to have so much disdain for we peasants.

What is your problem??

This whole mess began when I told the OP that he was a disgrace for turning the suicide of a teenager into a something political. I wasn't the only one saying that either.  Now you're all butthurt with me because New Zealand passed new gun laws?

Find something productive to do with your time instead of being such an sensitive angry little snowflake.

54 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

What is your problem??

This whole mess began when I told the OP that he was a disgrace for turning the suicide of a teenager into a something political. I wasn't the only one saying that either.  Now you're all butthurt with me because New Zealand passed new gun laws?

Find something productive to do with your time instead of being such an sensitive angry little snowflake.

I'm the OP.  I think I've made it abundantly clear that my post had nothing to do with politics.

4 minutes ago, bbb said:

I am not going to spell out a joke for you..............I guess you are a disgrace!  

Jesus Christ, dude!!!!  The way this thread is going, I had no idea!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

What is your problem??

Hey fool.....Joe is a combat vet.....you ignorant USA hating punch dummy.

Igotchonewzealandgunlawsritehea

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

When I clicked on this thread I was shocked with how quickly it became political.

Maybe I am in the minority.  But spinning our wheels all praying and feeling sorry for the deceased really accomplishes little.  Yet... I do understand & appreciate the power of prayer... Not saying give that up.  But let's be pragmatic here.

"We look for love no time for tears
Wasted water's all that is
And it don't make no flowers grow."

And... Don't misconstrue taking action as being political.  Inaction, apathy, albeit lacking any outward appearance of "being political" is deadly, lethal.

The being political card... Is a cop out for not wanting change, having to make hard choices by the ones with little involvement in the tragedies but have a lot of personal skin in the game.  IMO.

What's the only way right of center to move with this debate?  Do nothing?  Pray?  Tell the suffering to white knuckle through it, pick themselves up by the boot straps. Sounds pretty archaic, to me, for complicated times. Maybe the only conservative answer that I find acceptable is to slow society down from it's complicated, fast paced tempo.  Yeah, that's really going to happen.

What's the answer?  Just grieve and move on as these problems barrel at us in multitudes? Or go right to the source and give it a whirl and see what happens.  Seems like we are paralyzed by our own paranoia & fear.