bills must be eyeing a DT

I'm thinking Oliver at 9 and Irv Smith Jr in second.  Would not be surprised to see Devin White , Wilkins, Hockenson or Jacobs at 9 either.  All Impact players.  They are definitely in a position to get BPA at 9.  I also think they are thin at LB and need 2 from draft or FA.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I think assuming what a team does based on a potential need is silly.

Bills could very well draft a WR, DT, TE, T, CB etc.

Depends on the board.

I definitely believe that this season. They seem to have given themselves a great option to go BPA depending on the board

4 hours ago, BakersBills said:

havent signed any DT and just seems to make sense at 9.

It’s a reasonable theory, except for the fact that Beane has always emphatically, repeatedly said whenever asked that he does not draft based on need. 

This year, given the way the 1st round prospects are shaking out, a DT could very well be at the top of their board as BPA at 9. But people really should familiarize with Beane’s available statements on draft philosophy before making threads like these. Suggesting a pick based on need, or what the team did or didn’t do in free agency, just doesn’t align with what the GM has said.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Chemical said:

The idea you pass on dk metcalf because you signed John Brown is pretty darn funny to me as well. 

Why? Look at all the receivers drafted in the top 10 and tell me Metcalf belongs. Sure he looks like great but film shows he’s not. And I’m not just talking stats. 

28 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Why? Look at all the receivers drafted in the top 10 and tell me Metcalf belongs. Sure he looks like great but film shows he’s not. And I’m not just talking stats. 

We need a WR as bad or worse than a DT was my point.

We took a DT (with attitude issues) pretty high years ago and I was told he was BPA at the time.

AJ Green was selected immediately after. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BakersBills said:

havent signed any DT and just seems to make sense at 9.

DT is frickin deep...you can a legit starter in the 2nd & 3rd Rds this year! This offense still doesn't have a legit X receiver. If anything, WR at 9 is looking more & more definite. It's not that many X WR's in the draft, maybe 4-5. 

I still think they go WR early. 1st or definitely 2nd. Unless DK is there or they trade back & get N'Keal Harry.

5 hours ago, Mc1320 said:

The way you beat Brady is pressure up the middle, DT needs to be the priority - otherwise he will just outgunsling us regardless how good our offense is.

No the way you beat Brady is knocking down his passes. Brady is immune to pressure & blitzes. You have to knock some balls down...he hates that...

4 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I think that the first two rounds will be used to get who they think might make a HOF player.  Regardless of whether they are already "set" at that position.

Not the way McBeane operates.  They're taking the high upside guy with the raw talent.  If you need an example....look at our QB. Nobody wanted him because he was so raw ...with huge upside.  They draft to groom the upside. 

I honestly think DK...if he's there is the pick. They can take they're time with him, just like Allen. They have other WR's where DK doesn't have to be rushed on the field. They can't buy an X Receiver obviously...so you have to draft one.  Josh Allen is your biggest investment, you don't play around with your investment by taking another position.

Tightend could be the 2nd option at 9 besides WR too. 

Edited by Scorp83
Typo
  • Like (+1) 2

DK does seem to fit the Beane 1st round philosophy of get the raw guy with huge upside.  That being said I'd still be looking at jawaan taylor or the TE as well.  I think we'd get better value at DT in the second or third round as the position is very deep this year and starters will still be there that late.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Humor notwithstanding, punting was a major weakness last season. Sorry, I can’t recall the lone decent punter with a name I couldn’t pronounce anyway, who was chopped at the knees and sent to IR, but he was the only one worthy of being on an NFL roster. That Housch played through pain was evident in his weak performance down the stretch. 

No one is talking kickers from OBD currently, but it was one of -if not THE most glaring weakness last season. Sanborn is under contract but we had no one who was a threat to return kicks. Poor punting contributed to big returns which may not have been entirely the fault of the scapegoat coach, but to date, nothing sans a new coach has been publicly identified as being corrected or changed.

Bojorquez is the punter.  Also the bills have Carter who tore his acl last August.  He probably would have beaten out Schmidt if not for the injury. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

they drafted meatball the 2nd last year in the 3rd round and paid star last year. 

they also paid that other dude from miami this year

I dont see a DT in the near future at all, unless its for depth. 

Since McDermott arrived, the Bills have had 4 DTs on the roster.  They have three right now - Star, Harrison Phillips, and Jordan Phillips.  Jordan is on a one year deal.

If Bills don't pick up a DT before draft don't be surprised if it's Ed Oliver or Christian Wilkins.

6 hours ago, Cash said:

Pretty cool that BPA last year just happened to be the 2 positions at which they were desperate for starters. 

The Bills are absolutely “eyeing” some number of players. Which ones? I have no idea! But I have a fairly decent idea of the positions. Not as good as last year, when the QBs heading into the draft were Peterman & McCarron, and the MLBs were... no one?

But where things stand now, the Bills have signed 4 OL to potentially starting contracts - at least high end backup $$. Also signed 2 WRs for too much to justify not playing major roles. But no DL to replace Kyle Williams, and our interior/run D was a weakness last year to begin with. Add in that we currently only have 2 TEs on the roster, and the best one is maybe around Clay’s level from 2-3 years ago, and I think that 2 of DT, DE, and TE will be their first 2 picks. Probably DL round 1, TE round 2, with maybe a small trade up for the TE a la Zay Jonesa couple years ago. 

No bro...for a QB maybe you break your mold because they are so hard to get. Otherwise no...they must have had Edmunds rated much higher than other people on the board to move up so aggressively to get him.