REPORT: Steelers trading Antonio Brown to Bills! - Per Ian Rapoport (Hold up....maybe, maybe not....) EDIT: DEAL NOT HAPPENING PER BRANDON BEANE - UPDATE: Traded to Raiders

sven233

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Correct.

In the 1990's a free agent signing with Buffalo was seen as a good career move.

But 20 years without a contending team is an epic level of awful.........that's what is driving the shaming.

People shouldn't take it personal it's more about the failure of the privately owned pro football team in town............if the teams in towns like Pitt or GB were this awful for so long they would be treated the same way.

The SB Bills were before UFA started.  The late 90's Bills didn't have many top FA's.  Then, like now, the Bills had to spend money to get players to come.

4 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Or they wouldn't offer a higher trade package.

Or...maybe despite them having HOF QB's, AB still wanted to be the highest-paid WR and they said "no"?

46 minutes ago, cle23 said:

They were both reported to have interest. Then reported to have dropped out. The same as Buffalo.

Myself personally, I don't feel like Beane's comments indicated a loss of interest and in negotiations that should have kept private words can help disguise Beane's true intentions IMO. 

Despite AB's initial reaction, I think he would come to terms with it, 

eventually...

Edited by Figster

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Or...maybe despite them having HOF QB's, AB still wanted to be the highest-paid WR and they said "no"?

Sure. That's possible. That wouldn't be him rejecting them though. I'm not sure what your arguement is. 

My original comment was about Buffalo being the best fit for Brown, which is simply false. It may be what happens, but no WR is taking Allen over Rodgers or Brees.

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

The SB Bills were before UFA started.  The late 90's Bills didn't have many top FA's.  Then, like now, the Bills had to spend money to get players to come.

Best Bills free agent class by A LOT was the Paup/Washington/Jeffcoat haul after the 1994 season.   Paup in particular was a top of class free agent coming off a Pro Bowl year.

Next offseason was also big.......... Quinn Early was the prize WR in FA and he signed with Buffalo and Chris Spielman was another huge signing that offseason.   

Joe Panos was another pricey signing after the 1997 season.

The Bills were plenty aggressive in free agency in the 1990's and there were no Star Lotulelei-like over-market overpays because players weren't sacrificing individual or team success when coming to Buffalo.

And never once was it uttered "oh man why would he want to go to Buffalo?" in the media because the Bills were the winningest team in the NFL in the 1990's.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Sure. That's possible. That wouldn't be him rejecting them though. I'm not sure what your arguement is. 

My original comment was about Buffalo being the best fit for Brown, which is simply false. It may be what happens, but no WR is taking Allen over Rodgers or Brees.

Yeah, in that case it would be the Bills rejecting AB.  Meaning it’s all about the money. 

And if he’s looking for the best fit, he should be wanting to go to a team with a Hall of Fame quarterback, even if it is for less than top money.

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Best Bills free agent class by A LOT was the Paup/Washington/Jeffcoat haul after the 1994 season.   Paup in particular was a top of class free agent coming off a Pro Bowl year.

Next offseason was also big.......... Quinn Early was the prize WR in FA and he signed with Buffalo and Chris Spielman was another huge signing that offseason.   

The Bills were plenty aggressive in free agency in the 1990's and there were no Star Lotulelei-like over-market overpays because players weren't sacrificing individual or team success when coming to Buffalo.

And never once was it uttered "oh man why would he want to go to Buffalo?" in the media because the Bills were the winningest team in the NFL in the 1990's.

Some of our best players of recent years have been FA's as well.  Poyer, Hyde, LoRax, Incognito, and even Mario.  Not wanting to come to Buffalo is overplayed, even now.  There are only so many NFL jobs, and only so much cap room.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That was also way before the advent of social media, and especially Twitter. There were many players who wouldn’t play in Buffalo unless top dollar was offered, and those guys you mentioned we’re all at or near the highest paid at their positions at the time of their signing. 

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

As cool as it would have been seeing Allen throw bombs to Brown, I must say this: 

Giving $20M per year to a 31-year-old head case diva WR is EXACTLY how you start back down the road to cap jail.

Oh, and one more thing: for a team and coach that so often use bulletin board material as motivation and thrive when they feel like they're being disrespected, this whole episode should provide some nice fodder.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

Just heard Report is out there sayin the bills and Steelers still trying to work out a trade. Stay tuned...

Where exactly did you hear this report?  Nothing even on twitter about it and you posted this 12 hours ago.  If there was a report on it, seems more would be talking about it given the drama on Thursday.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Where exactly did you hear this report?  Nothing even on twitter about it and you posted this 12 hours ago.  If there was a report on it, seems more would be talking about it given the drama on Thursday.

I haven't seen anything to suggest this either....last update on AB was early in the afternoon ….hours ago                        

17 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

I haven't seen anything to suggest this either....last update on AB was early in the afternoon ….hours ago                        

Yes!!!!! BUT did you see anything saying it ISN'T? 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

As cool as it would have been seeing Allen throw bombs to Brown, I must say this: 

Giving $20M per year to a 31-year-old head case diva WR is EXACTLY how you start back down the road to cap jail.

Oh, and one more thing: for a team and coach that so often use bulletin board material as motivation and thrive when they feel like they're being disrespected, this whole episode should provide some nice fodder.

That makes me think Beane pulled out of the deal after trying to negotiate a contract with AB.

• Like (+1) 1