Colts in strong pursuit of WR Tyrell Williams, probable favorites to sign him

Logic

Anyone with Tyrell Williams high on their wishlist might want to start looking at Plan B. The Colts have more money than the Bills, and there are coaching connections (not to mention an established franchise QB) that might make them a more desirable destination.

TYRELL WILLIAMS
WR, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

10694.jpg

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Colts are in "strong pursuit" of free agent Tyrell Williams.

La Canfora echoes the Las Vegas Review-Journal's Michael Gehlken's report from last week, saying the Raiders are also courting Williams, who is expected to get $12 million-plus annually. This doesn't sound like a path Colts GM Chris Ballard would typically travel down; he hasn't shown a big belief in building through free agency, and Williams is going to be expensive. But both coach Frank Reich and OC Nick Sirianni know Williams from their Chargers days. Indianapolis does need to do something out wide to take the burden off T.Y. Hilton.

Edited by Logic

Good, I don't want to pay him $12M.  I would MUCH rather sign Humphries.  He may prove worth it, he may not.  I don't want to gamble $12M to find out.  Give me a great slot WR like Humphries for less and then draft our #1 type WR this year in rounds 1 or 2.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

Jason LaCanfora is an idiot. He gets paid to make obvious statements. A team with a desperate need at WR is in pursuit of one of the top 2 or 3 on the market? No *****. If he signs there LaCanfora says "told ya so" if he doesn't he says "it must have fallen through" it's all a bunch of stupid guesses. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Good, I don't want to pay him $12M.  I would MUCH rather sign Humphries.  He may prove worth it, he may not.  I don't want to gamble $12M to find out.  Give me a great slot WR like Humphries for less and then draft our #1 type WR this year in rounds 1 or 2.  

Agree with Williams and would like Humphries but don’t want to pay him much either. Would rather draft two and spend that 8 million on OL

Just now, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

Agree with Williams and would like Humphries but don’t want to pay him much either. Would rather draft two and spend that 8 million on OL

Well we have plenty of money to spend on OL, so neither would keep us from that.  But Humphries I would be all for signing.  He will be the Kupp/Edelman/Welker type role for Josh and that would be huge.  

I just have a hard time buying Tyrell will live up to this contract when he was pretty pedestrian playing with Rivers.  Not to mention after he had his best season, they still spent a top 10 pick on a WR in Mike Williams.  

So, I am not sold he is going to be the #1 WR he thinks he will be.  Wouldn't hate it if he wound up a Bill, I mean he has upside.  But just skeptical of the contract he is going to get even though he didn't really "earn" it and is getting it on production he had in his only solid season 3 years ago.  

• Like (+1) 3

I think it's quite possible that the Bills will view getting a Welker/Edelman like slot receiver as a bigger priority than getting a boundary WR, which is what Williams would have been. They may already like Zay and Foster as their starting outside receivers, but feel that the need a quality slot guy to be a security blanket for Allen and to really make the New Englandesque offense hum on all cylinders.

If this is the case, then Humphries is the best and most logical choice in free agency. I admittedly know nothing about the slot prospects in the draft this year.

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think it's quite possible that the Bills will view getting a Welker/Edelman like slot receiver as a bigger priority than getting a boundary WR, which is what Williams would have been. They may already like Zay and Foster as their starting outside receivers, but feel that the need a quality slot guy to be a security blanket for Allen and to really make the New Englandesque offense hum on all cylinders.

If this is the case, then Humphries is the best and most logical choice in free agency. I admittedly know nothing about the slot prospects in the draft this year.

If they view those two as their starting outside receivers, I will have lost all believe in their ability to evaluate offensive football.  

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Logic said:

Anyone with Tyrell Williams high on their wishlist might want to start looking at Plan B. The Colts have more money than the Bills, and there are coaching connections (not to mention an established franchise QB) that might make them a more desirable destination.

TYRELL WILLIAMS
WR, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

10694.jpg

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Colts are in "strong pursuit" of free agent Tyrell Williams.

La Canfora echoes the Las Vegas Review-Journal's Michael Gehlken's report from last week, saying the Raiders are also courting Williams, who is expected to get $12 million-plus annually. This doesn't sound like a path Colts GM Chris Ballard would typically travel down; he hasn't shown a big belief in building through free agency, and Williams is going to be expensive. But both coach Frank Reich and OC Nick Sirianni know Williams from their Chargers days. Indianapolis does need to do something out wide to take the burden off T.Y. Hilton.

They can have him.

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

TYRELL WILLIAMS
WR, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

10694.jpg

Good, dude's probably going to be waaay overpaid as will most of the top FA WRs. Perhaps he takes the next step (and with Luck that may be the tallest of grass for that), but these FA WR are probably not the best investment right now, so not overly upset if we miss out on them.

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I totally agree.  I'll gladly pay for a FA that I know what he can do - I'm not paying a WR hoping he can play up to the money.  That's bad business. 

I also agree that I want one of those slot guys (i.e Humphries or Beasley).  I like a guy a guy that catches a lot of balls and they both do.  I'll get the yards from my outside guys.  Secondly, I want anything that pushes either Zay out or forces him to win the job.  I'm not moving forward with him having a spot.  He'll either earn it or not play.  

I draft a rookie in round 1 or 2 to be my other outside guy while Foster and Williams fight for the other.  

I like what McKenzie did late last year and I'd love the idea of trading for Duke Williams.  

I think all of that gives us multiple weapons that can do multiple things. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Unless you're ownership or a team executive, what difference does it make how much the team pays him?

All of this is preliminary anyway, but it makes zero sense to draft a big armed QB who's throwing short passes to slot guys.  Just because NE does that doesn't mean Buffalo has to.  

Besides, this draft doesn't feature an elite WR at the top.  I wouldn't bank on someone drafted there to come in and play outstanding football right away. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If they view those two as their starting outside receivers, I will have lost all believe in their ability to evaluate offensive football.  

We're getting there. ;)

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How much do you think Humphries is going to go for? Josh likes to throw the ball long and Williams is a good deep threat. I feel like Humphries wouldn't be utilized correctly to make him an effective slot receiver here. I do like Humphries but I just think wed have to pay him like 9 million and hed be a 40 catch type of guy in this offense. we got that production out of Zay this past year

Edited by Wsam4031

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Unless you're ownership or a team executive, what difference does it make how much the team pays him?

All of this is preliminary anyway, but it makes zero sense to draft a big armed QB who's throwing short passes to slot guys.  Just because NE does that doesn't mean Buffalo has to.  

Besides, this draft doesn't feature an elite WR at the top.  I wouldn't bank on someone drafted there to come in and play outstanding football right away. 

We're getting there. ;)

Thank you I completely agree with you. Just because we have a good slot guy doent mean hes catching 100 balls a year. That's not the type of offense we will run. Zay did just fine in a slot roll. I doubt bringing in Humphries or Beasley will up the production from that position.