Colts in strong pursuit of WR Tyrell Williams, probable favorites to sign him

Logic

3 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

How much do you think Humphries is going to go for? Josh likes to throw the ball long and Williams is a good deep threat. I feel like Humphries wouldn't be utilized correctly to make him an effective slot receiver here. I do like Humphries but I just think wed have to pay him like 9 million and hed be a 40 catch type of guy in this offense.

No reason to pay Williams double what he’s probably worth.  Just draft a guy.  Lots of options of speed/possession type guys.  

32 minutes ago, Logic said:

Anyone with Tyrell Williams high on their wishlist might want to start looking at Plan B. The Colts have more money than the Bills, and there are coaching connections (not to mention an established franchise QB) that might make them a more desirable destination.

TYRELL WILLIAMS
WR, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

10694.jpg

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Colts are in "strong pursuit" of free agent Tyrell Williams.

La Canfora echoes the Las Vegas Review-Journal's Michael Gehlken's report from last week, saying the Raiders are also courting Williams, who is expected to get $12 million-plus annually. This doesn't sound like a path Colts GM Chris Ballard would typically travel down; he hasn't shown a big belief in building through free agency, and Williams is going to be expensive. But both coach Frank Reich and OC Nick Sirianni know Williams from their Chargers days. Indianapolis does need to do something out wide to take the burden off T.Y. Hilton.

No brainer..never a doubt he would end up back with Frank...Colts have the money to give him.... beaucoup money.

Edited by Misterbluesky

1 minute ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

No reason to pay Williams double what he’s probably worth.  Just draft a guy.  Lots of options of speed/possession type guys.  

I'm all for drafting some guys but I liked what I saw from Williams when Keenan Allen was out. He was real solid went over 1000 yards and was a force on the field. I think 12 Million is a lot but its going rate for an outside threat that can run all the routes

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I prefer the upside of Chris Conley honestly. I hope we pursue him. 

I like Conley as a dart-throw...I wouldn't want to be counting on him to produce, but as an investment in a talented athlete who's shown flashes (a la former teammate Albert Wilson), he's a good prospect.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Unless you're ownership or a team executive, what difference does it make how much the team pays him?

All of this is preliminary anyway, but it makes zero sense to draft a big armed QB who's throwing short passes to slot guys.  Just because NE does that doesn't mean Buffalo has to.  

Besides, this draft doesn't feature an elite WR at the top.  I wouldn't bank on someone drafted there to come in and play outstanding football right away. 

We're getting there. ;)

That’s fake news.  This is a great WR draft and there are plenty of guys who have WR1 potential plus guys who can be deep threats.  

I didnt say ONLY sign Humphries either.  He is my top FA, but I want some dee threats in draft.

Amd why do I care about the price?  Isn’t that obvious?  More bloated contracts we amass the less cap space we have each year.  Over paying for an under achieving WR whose best year was a solid season 3 years ago is a risky move.  

I’m all for spending to land players, but let’s spend on players who have played at a high level.  Tyrell has one solid season 3 years ago despite playing without Rivers in a passing offense

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, Wsam4031 said:

How much do you think Humphries is going to go for? Josh likes to throw the ball long and Williams is a good deep threat. I feel like Humphries wouldn't be utilized correctly to make him an effective slot receiver here. I do like Humphries but I just think wed have to pay him like 9 million and hed be a 40 catch type of guy in this offense. we got that production out of Zay this past year

Humphries is better than Zay.  

And this “Josh likes to throw long” stuff is getting over exaggerated.  Yes he has a big arm, yes he took a lot of shots, but you can’t throw it 20+ yards down field every play.  

Humphries could be a dangerous weapon for Josh.  

And I said to also draft a WR in first 2 rounds to be another deep threat.  Not like I’m saying only add Humphries.  

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Humphries is better than Zay.  

And this “Josh likes to throw long” stuff is getting over exaggerated.  Yes he has a big arm, yes he took a lot of shots, but you can’t throw it 20+ yards down field every play.  

Humphries could be a dangerous weapon for Josh.  

And I said to also draft a WR in first 2 rounds to be another deep threat.  Not like I’m saying only add Humphries.  

I agree with you I don't think he should be throwing it downfield 20+ yards evey time. I just think adding a guy like Williams compared to Humphries would be better suited for this offense. I think Zay did a fine job in the slot last year. I don't think well get a whole lot more production by adding him. Just think any slot receiver in this offense is a 40- maybe 50 catch guy.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Jason LaCanfora is an idiot. He gets paid to make obvious statements. A team with a desperate need at WR is in pursuit of one of the top 2 or 3 on the market? No *****. If he signs there LaCanfora says "told ya so" if he doesn't he says "it must have fallen through" it's all a bunch of stupid guesses. 

LaCanfora is the biggest idiot in Football. 

1 hour ago, Wsam4031 said:

I'm all for drafting some guys but I liked what I saw from Williams when Keenan Allen was out. He was real solid went over 1000 yards and was a force on the field. I think 12 Million is a lot but its going rate for an outside threat that can run all the routes

That's not the going rate.  That's overpaying based on a projection he'll produce like WR's at that price point.  The only "value" you get from a signing like that is if he outproduces what you're paying him.  Now he'd have to produce like the elite WR's in the game.  

5 minutes ago, White Linen said:

That's not the going rate.  That's overpaying based on a projection he'll produce like WR's at that price point.  The only "value" you get from a signing like that is if he outproduces what you're paying him.  Now he'd have to produce like the elite WR's in the game.  

If you want someone to come here you gotta pay. Whos to say he wont be an elite receiver, who really knows. He had 1 good year when Keenan allen was out and has been buried on the depth chart since. Maybe with the right situation he will be, maybe gets paid and is out of the league in 2 years  who knows. Only way to find out is to do your research and make an educated guess. I wont sit here and say hell be elite but I will sit here and say I think hes a good receiver with a lot of potential and better than anyone on our roster. If it cost 12  million to get him here I don't care I don't pay it. Also draft someone

• Like (+1) 1

There are better uses with our cap space.

I understand that Free Agency is about overpaying, but giving Tyrell Williams $12 million per season is ridiculous.  Regardless of how the contract is structured.

That's not just WR#1 money.  That is top-half of the NFL WR#1 money.

As I said before.  If we are going to get crazy throwing money at players, then do it at the offensive line.

2 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

If you want someone to come here you gotta pay. Whos to say he wont be an elite receiver, who really knows. He had 1 good year when Keenan allen was out and has been buried on the depth chart since. Maybe with the right situation he will be, maybe gets paid and is out of the league in 2 years  who knows. Only way to find out is to do your research and make an educated guess. I wont sit here and say hell be elite but I will sit here and say I think hes a good receiver with a lot of potential and better than anyone on our roster. If it cost 12  million to get him here I don't care I don't pay it. Also draft someone

I guess that's where we differ.  I'm not paying for maybe and that's not how the good organizations operate.  

Good organizations get value for their money.  You either pay for established play or you get more out of a player than your paying him.  

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You'd have to throw something similar at Tate... and this team desperately needs a veteran WR like him. 

Disagree on the "veteran" angle. 

We need more talent in the WR room.  No doubt. 

But I would be just as happy with a team full of young receivers.

If we are just desperate for experience and leadership, then we can add a vet who commands closer to $3-4 million and helps from the bench.

It's perfectly OK to overpay in Free Agency.  But you can't get ridiculous with it.  You have to pick your spots.

This group of FA receivers is mediocre at best, and the teams who pay $10-12 million for any of these guys (Williams, Tate, Humphries) are going to regret it.

21 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I guess that's where we differ.  I'm not paying for maybe and that's not how the good organizations operate.  

Good organizations get value for their money.  You either pay for established play or you get more out of a player than your paying him.  

I mean I dont disagree with you, but he's been on an NFL roster for 4 years, put up good numbers at times, and has great measurable's.  Is there ever really a college prospect who is more of a sure thing?

Btw Zay in college 49/400/4,300/23 so 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

But why was he buried on the depth chart?  Because after his best year they still drafted Mike Williams in the top 10.  They didn’t feel Tyrell was even a number 2 or they use that pick somewhere else.  Plus both MW and Keenan missed plenty of time and yet he still hasn’t done a whole lot.

And his best season was still just barely 1000 yards.  So have a hard time paying top dollar for a guy who hasn’t done more with Rivers, saw his team draft a top 10 WR despite having both Allen and Tyrell, and whose best season was 3 years ago.

Give me Tate or Humphries then draft one or two this year.  I won’t hate signing Tyrell, but not first choice.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I mean I dont disagree with you, but he's been on an NFL roster for 4 years, put up good numbers at times, and has great measurable's.  Is there ever really a college prospect who is more of a sure thing?

Btw Zay in college 49/400/4,300/23 so 

Obviously the draft and FA are two different approaches.  If you take the same philosophy of projection in FA - you're in deep deep trouble.  And when I say deep trouble, I mean when you pay someone the money for what they haven't done yet.  Now you can get burned also by a FA because a player can have done it and then not for your team but that has to be the baseline, IMO.  I like Williams and I think he can be a good WR, but I'm for value and I think our FO is too. 

Draft picks are so inexpensive they have value.  So it's much different than the top free agents in terms of risk vs money spent. 

Edited by White Linen
  • Like (+1) 1