Colts in strong pursuit of WR Tyrell Williams, probable favorites to sign him

Logic

53 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Oakland is out with Brown. 

The Jets are making it rain on anybody with a pulse today.  

Indy just sugar daddied Funchess. 

Sooo.... Buffalo or Cleveland?

I feel like the Bills can definitely offer him the biggest role out of any of the teams rumored to have interest. 

If hes looking to prove he is a #1 WR, Buffalo seems like a good opportunity to do so. He’d instantly be the best WR on the roster (as of now, anyway). 

Im not crazy about the idea of overpaying him, but the Bills desperately need to upgrade their Wr corps, so... 

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Dude was the #4 WR on the Chargers behind Allen, Williams and Benjamin, never lived up to expectations and now he is going to get paid like a low level #1. Crazy. Certainly hope we don't get involved.

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Dude was the #4 WR on the Chargers behind Allen, Williams and Benjamin, never lived up to expectations and now he is going to get paid like a low level #1. Crazy. Certainly hope we don't get involved.

No he wasn’t.  He was #2 opposite Keenan Allen.  Mike Williams got some #2 time also, but he was never #4 behind Benjamin.  

On 3/6/2019 at 10:42 AM, Logic said:

Anyone with Tyrell Williams high on their wishlist might want to start looking at Plan B. The Colts have more money than the Bills, and there are coaching connections (not to mention an established franchise QB) that might make them a more desirable destination.

TYRELL WILLIAMS
WR, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

10694.jpg

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Colts are in "strong pursuit" of free agent Tyrell Williams.

La Canfora echoes the Las Vegas Review-Journal's Michael Gehlken's report from last week, saying the Raiders are also courting Williams, who is expected to get $12 million-plus annually. This doesn't sound like a path Colts GM Chris Ballard would typically travel down; he hasn't shown a big belief in building through free agency, and Williams is going to be expensive. But both coach Frank Reich and OC Nick Sirianni know Williams from their Chargers days. Indianapolis does need to do something out wide to take the burden off T.Y. Hilton.

$12 mil per year hopefully takes the Bills out of the race.

I loev TW, but that's way too much

22 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

No he wasn’t.  He was #2 opposite Keenan Allen.  Mike Williams got some #2 time also, but he was never #4 behind Benjamin.  

Well thats even worse because he didnt perform much for a #2.  

I wont hate landing Tyrell, lord knows we need WR help.  But if Funchess got $13M what is he going to command.  He has been in the league 4 years...

1. His best year, and only 1000 yard season (barely 1000 yards) was 3 years ago because Keenan was hurt.  
  2. Despite going over 1000 yards that year, Chargers STILL invested a top 10 draft pick for another WR in Mike Williams.
  3. Tyrell production has been worse each season since going over 1000 yards 3 years ago. 

He has upside, dont get me wrong.  But I worry he is another Stevie Johnson.  A guy who barely broke 1000 yards and got over rated.  At least Stevie did it 3 times.  This guy has seen his production drop each year, even with Mike Williams having a slow start to his career and Keenan missing more time.  

So I have a hard time getting excited about the idea of paying a guy WR1 money whose got one decent season on his resume in 4 years and wasn't good enough to carve out a bigger role on a pass happy team with lots of injuries to the other WR's, TE's and even RB's.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I wont hate landing Tyrell, lord knows we need WR help.  But if Funchess got $13M what is he going to command.  He has been in the league 4 years...

1. His best year, and only 1000 yard season (barely 1000 yards) was 3 years ago because Keenan was hurt.  
  2. Despite going over 1000 yards that year, Chargers STILL invested a top 10 draft pick for another WR in Mike Williams.
  3. Tyrell production has been worse each season since going over 1000 yards 3 years ago. 

He has upside, dont get me wrong.  But I worry he is another Stevie Johnson.  A guy who barely broke 1000 yards and got over rated.  At least Stevie did it 3 times.  This guy has seen his production drop each year, even with Mike Williams having a slow start to his career and Keenan missing more time.  

So I have a hard time getting excited about the idea of paying a guy WR1 money whose got one decent season on his resume in 4 years and wasn't good enough to carve out a bigger role on a pass happy team with lots of injuries to the other WR's, TE's and even RB's.  

I feel the same way Alpha....wont hate it if we get him but feel the money could be better used elsewhere.  Let another team pay him #1 WR money.  I already posted that I wouldn't mind Demaryius Thomas on a short term contract and Chris Conley...added together their contracts would probably be less than the one Tyrell is going to receive.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

He may have been their #2 but he was #4 in rec yds behind Allen,  M Williams and Gordon. Austin Ekeler was just barely behind him in 5th. I say hell no to paying 12 million for him. 

I would rather get John Brown for around 7 and then draft a stud in the first couple rounds.

Edited by Turk71

3 hours ago, Magnum Force said:

I feel the same way Alpha....wont hate it if we get him but feel the money could be better used elsewhere.  Let another team pay him #1 WR money.  I already posted that I wouldn't mind Demaryius Thomas on a short term contract and Chris Conley...added together their contracts would probably be less than the one Tyrell is going to receive.

Thomas is toast. He tore his Achilles last year,  not that first time he has done that. Probably won’t he’ll he just got charged with a felony a few weeks ago for vehicular assault. 

I doubt he ever makes it through a camp. 

I don’t see any way he’s signed for less than 12 mil a year.  I’m calling 15.  

I think I’m good paying him, if it’s another front loaded deal.  The FA market is bare, his strengths are our weakness, and I don’t trust rookie WR’s to make a strong impact on year one.  Yes, it can happen and I have examples of it happening as well.  But I don’t see it as a high rate.  

We have Williams and Foster on the outside, Jones in the slot, TE in the draft, we are a very different receiving offense

4 hours ago, Magnum Force said:

DT popped his Achilles in week 16 or 17 he's absolutely missing part of this season or will be rushing back and be a shell of himself. Hard pass.

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lots to unpack here, just gonna hit it with bullet points as I was about 90% through a good response and accidentally hit the back button on my phone and lost it all. I apologize if it's scatterbrained now.

- The Mike Williams selection says more about Travis Benjamin than Tyrell Williams. With Keenan Allen occupying the slot full time, they needed someone else to play on the outside.

- Speaking of Keenan Allen, not sure what you mean by him "missing more time" as he hasn't missed a game in two seasons. Tyrell Williams had his 1000 yard season the last year Allen missed any time.

- Staying with Allen, the fact he's an absolute target vacuum kind of necessitates you change how you evaluate the other pass catchers that share the field with him. Allen has had 159 and 136 targets since his return from injury. 

- Jumping off that to Williams, his targets have gone from 119 to 69 to 65; catches from 69 to 43 to 41; about 58% catch percentage during the heavy year and then 62 and change with Allen's return. His yards per catch has been pretty similar also, 15.3 during his heavier use year, 16.9 in 2017 and 15.9 last season. 

Now I'm not saying I'm going to love the price tag, but there are things to like about his game and because he's been in an offense where the slot receiver is absolutely force fed the ball, it's not crazy to suggest he could produce better with more consistent targets