Bills re-sign Jordan Phillips

This is a solid signing.  Gives the Bills a stopgap to address the DL this offseason and next.  If Phillips plays well this year, who knows, maybe Bills sign him to longer deal next year.  I'm curious to see the $ involved. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hemma said:

I don't subscribe to PFF, but according to Rodak:

"Pro Football Focus ranked Phillips as its 108th out of 112 graded interior defensive lineman last season."

PFF isn't the end all, for sure, but I think Beane still has more work to do on the DL.

PFF is useful albeit rarely tells the whole story. However he graded much better after he joined the Bills

16 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Would not be surprised to see Buffalo still take another DT.  McCoach gotta get his Dlinemen. 

Absolutely.  They can work on the offense later, just in time for that 7-year rebuild to kick in, right BV?  ;)

16 hours ago, Estro said:

An average player, I'm hoping the contract shows it.  Not saying that in a negative way, average players are valuable in the NFL as long as their salary indicates that.  In guessing Jordan Phillip's m8hhtve won this negotiation.  Anything more than $3.5-$4M is an overpay IMO

16 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Let's see what the money looks like--my guess back in December was $2.5-$3.5M per

My guess all along has been +/- $2 million, being a 1 year prove it deal, and Phillips saying the money will come down the road, my guess is it's under $2 million, maybe $1.5-1.75 million.  

He's a rotational guy, at least up to this point in his career, that got waived last year and although made some plays was inconsistent. He has a lot to prove and my guess his agent found out there's not much of a market for him. So they know he has some value in the Bills' system and that the Bills wanted him, which makes it a good place to try to prove future value (and play for a new contract). 

Good for both sides. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont think we go DL in round 1 unless it is a edge rusher now

but that is just me.......I liked the work that both Phillips did last year

I believe that Phillips will simply be rotating with Star. He’s not getting starter money with a 1 year deal most likely. I think they will let Harry compete at 3 tech but ultimately take that guy in the draft. We will see!

2 hours ago, eball said:

Absolutely.  They can work on the offense later, just in time for that 7-year rebuild to kick in, right BV?  ;)

Draft loaded at TE, OL and WR so Bills can pick up players throughout draft and have collateral to move up to get a targeted guy.  

If Oliver, Quinnen Williams, Bosa or Allen drop to us at 9 - I believe you have to take them.  If all are gone could see OBD try to trade down to get additional top 75 pick.

Memoryof Colts, Jags and patriots RBs going over 200 YPG is stuck in my mind.  Bills need help in DL interior in a big way now.

The money doesn't really matter since it's only a one year deal and we have plenty of space, but glad to have him back for another year. I suspect he's the depth guy behind whatever DT we draft though.

https://twitter.com/thadbrown7/status/1102994091669970945?s=21

@thadbrown7

Jordan Phillips: "I was just trying to get a deal done with Buffalo. That was my choice, where I wanted to be. It didn't really matter what the numbers were."

#Bills

54 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I wish it was a multi year deal.  He’s just a baby still

Sounds like it may have been the Bills who pushed for the 1 year deal

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

https://twitter.com/thadbrown7/status/1102994091669970945?s=21

@thadbrown7

Jordan Phillips: "I was just trying to get a deal done with Buffalo. That was my choice, where I wanted to be. It didn't really matter what the numbers were."

#Bills

Sounds like it may have been the Bills who pushed for the 1 year deal

Love these quotes. Hopefully the young man will continue to mature and grow into that monster ability that he has. He has all pro potential imo

$4.5 M... maybe a little more than what I guessed, but still OK by me..

Wonder if Beane gave him a bit more after the initial offer to get it done before FA?

One year keeps him motivated... would love for him to kick on in 2019 and sign a bigger longer term deal after that..

I really feel like people dont give this guy enough credit for his play (I know I know coming from me the homer)

for a HUGE DT......the guy is incredibally mobile and gets into the backfield.....all the while taking up a lot of space in the middle

The guy I really have my eye on now is Horrible Harry........can he take another step in his second year.....and make this rotation really solid?

31 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I really feel like people dont give this guy enough credit for his play (I know I know coming from me the homer)

for a HUGE DT......the guy is incredibally mobile and gets into the backfield.....all the while taking up a lot of space in the middle

The guy I really have my eye on now is Horrible Harry........can he take another step in his second year.....and make this rotation really solid?

He's really athletic for a guy his size. Hopefully with some more time on the field we'll see more production. I think McDermott can get him going.

And if they do go DL with their first pick, I think it's gonna be one of those guys that can play both inside and on the edge. Versatility is a major key trait they love for this defense.