Jason Witten returning to play for Cowboys

YoloinOhio

47 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

Laughing at all you "experts" saying he needs the money or he's washed up. His last year was 63 rec 560 yards 5 td's. That's better than our $8 million TE that we just cut.

Our TEs over the past several years have hardly been the benchmark for competency, let alone success. 

15 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Our TEs over the past several years have hardly been the benchmark for competency, let alone success. 

Yes, but Witten didn't go out after having a Clay-type year. He retired as a perfectly decent TE, probably no longer an every down player, but a very useful player. I would expect him to be much the same guy in a comeback year, which would make him a pretty good bargain at 5 million bucks. I guess I just don't understand all the negativity here.

EDIT: it's actually reported as $3.5 million base (what Beane paid Corey Coleman last year!) up to $5 million. Again, seems like a great deal even if he's no longer the old Jason Witten.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

15 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yes, but Witten didn't go out after having a Clay-type year. He retired as a perfectly decent TE, probably no longer an every down player, but a very useful player. I would expect him to be much the same guy in a comeback year, which would make him a pretty good bargain at 5 million bucks. I guess I just don't understand all the negativity here.

EDIT: it's actually reported as $3.5 million base (what Beane paid Corey Coleman last year!) up to $5 million. Again, seems like a great deal even if he's no longer the old Jason Witten.

I am not disputing that he didnt limp out of the gate. I also understand that Witten may be driven more by the lack of attention he used to get from the fans when he was playing. When you have done something well for very long, the accolades and the rush from a good performance can be tough to break away from. Also, he must know the fans reactions to his (non) performance in the booth and yearns to re-capture some of the old magic. However, I dont understand several things - how he will compete on the field after being away from prime action, what the Cowboys motivation is to bring him back as opposed to going young etc.

Maybe we are all thinking too much about a non-Bills player well past his prime. 

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Four pages in, and nobody's said it, so I guess it's on me to do it: even as a shell of his former self, he would've been far and away the best TE on the Bills last year. Yes, if I were Beane I would've signed him for $5 million for one year in a second.

And from the Cowboys' perspective: what? You'd rather have taken a flyer on Charles Clay?  ?

That doesn’t mean he’s good. Valedictorian of summer school. 

• Like (+1) 1

it's so funny. Cowboys fans here in Dallas are absolutely psyched about this.

1 hour ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

Laughing at all you "experts" saying he needs the money or he's washed up. His last year was 63 rec 560 yards 5 td's. That's better than our $8 million TE that we just cut.

It's more taking a year off at his age and position. I don't criticize Chargers for keeping Antonio Gates around. He's effective. But he also is staying in football shape which must get infinitely harder at that age.

He graded very poorly blocking FWIW. I can see him being an effective safety blanket at best, but a year away and he has a lot of work to do to get there.

I say we bring TO back. His last year was better than all our WRs.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

That doesn’t mean he’s good. Valedictorian of summer school. 

? But... a perfectly useful player at a very affordable Corey Coleman price!  I see no reason why this should be considered a bad deal or a stupid move. I'm a life-long Cowboys hater so I understand the appeal of mocking Jerry, but folks have got to choose better targets ....

I think this is fantastic for all involved.  For Witten, he gets to play one more year, and make $5 mill.  For Dallas, they likely draft a TE who learns from a potential future HOF TE who is great coaching other players for a year.  Total win-win.  

The entire MNF crew needs to be fired.  The PbP guy(I don't know his name...that is how unforgettable he is) IMO was always trying way too hard to fit the part(especially during idle chit chat), and Booger and Witten were constantly stepping over each other.  The 3 man booth(even if one guy was on his sideline cart) is and always has been a terrible idea.

It was all over NFLR this morning before the combine interviews, and no it’s not selfish as he had a four year making one million dollars more per year, and there is no way he’s making it another 4 years in the league.  Tucker’s best guess who I respect is he loves playing and realized broadcasting wasn’t for him, and probably is back to get one more year, place some leadership in that locker room and be a solid red zone target.  No matter if he has a lost a step, he still was able to get open at critical times.

He also mentioned he probably wants coaching as a future which is rare for players as they are tired after a long career, his kids are still young, and position coaches work ungodly hours for maybe $500,000 / yr.

6 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

It was all over NFLR this morning before the combine interviews, and no it’s not selfish as he had a four year making one million dollars more per year, and there is no way he’s making it another 4 years in the league.  Tucker’s best guess who I respect is he loves playing and realized broadcasting wasn’t for him, and probably is back to get one more year, place some leadership in that locker room and be a solid red zone target.  No matter if he has a lost a step, he still was able to get open at critical times.

He also mentioned he probably wants coaching as a future which is rare for players as they are tired after a long career, his kids are still young, and position coaches work ungodly hours for maybe $500,000 / yr.

This is indeed the case. Bobby Carpenter has a radio show here and Witten is one of his best friends. He said coaching is his goal. I just wonder why he doesn’t start getting into that now instead of play more, but apparently he feels they have a good enough team that he wants the give it one more go for a SB. 

On 3/1/2019 at 8:34 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

My theory

Jerry convinces Jason Witten to play one more year then offers him a job on the coaching staff in 2020

Fast forward 5 years....

Jerry Jones names Jason Witten the new Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys

are you working to re-brand yourself ? ? 

• Haha (+1) 1