TV Shows That Stayed On Too Long

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

.....by the second episode.  I never found her or that show the least bit funny.

And yet television borrowed quite a bit from I Love Lucy.  Three's Company from the 1970's was I Love Lucy updated for the decade in my mind.  Gomer Pyle USMC was Gomer channeling Lucy as the screwup.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/2/2019 at 3:08 PM, KD in CA said:

.....by the second episode.  I never found her or that show the least bit funny.

On 3/2/2019 at 3:15 PM, RochesterRob said:

And yet television borrowed quite a bit from I Love Lucy.  Three's Company from the 1970's was I Love Lucy updated for the decade in my mind.  Gomer Pyle USMC was Gomer channeling Lucy as the screwup.  

@RochesterRob is right. I used to feel the same way KD. I never understood why she was considered such a legend. She never did anything that seemed original to me. But you have to look at her and her show through the lens of history. It's not funny to us because we've seen it all before. But the reason we've seen it all before, is because everybody was inspired by, or sometimes straight up stole from, I Love Lucy. 

On 2/28/2019 at 8:35 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Anyone here a fan of Babylon 5? That show was supposed to run 5 years. But Warner Bros didn't green light season 5 before season 4 production was under way.

So J. Michael Strazinski, the main guy behind Babylon 5, was forced to wrap up the story arc in season 4. But then Warner Bros came back and asked for season 5!

So an additional season was written and slapped on. Not only did season 4 suffer because the story arc had to be wrapped quicker, but season 5 was awkward and anticlimactic. However they did manage to make the final episode quite good.

I really enjoyed Babylon 5.  For a while before there were DVDs I was trying to collect the VHS tapes but I gave up. Still have some of them on the shelf for some unknown reason.  I have communicated with J. Michael Straczynski (he asked me to do a review of another project of his Rising Stars) and he was really disappointed in WB.

On 3/1/2019 at 1:50 AM, Mark Vader said:

"Horse Hockey!"

I know that a lot of people stopped watching MASH after McLean Stevenson left.

Too me, MASH was one of the greatest television shows ever from start to finish.

Personally I like Winchester better than Blake and was not really a fan of Radar and was glad when Jammie Farr's character was promoted in air time.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I really enjoyed Babylon 5.  For a while before there were DVDs I was trying to collect the VHS tapes but I gave up. Still have some of them on the shelf for some unknown reason.  I have communicated with J. Michael Straczynski (he asked me to do a review of another project of his Rising Stars) and he was really disappointed in WB.

Personally I like Winchester better than Blake and was not really a fan of Radar and was glad when Jammie Farr's character was promoted in air time.

That's really cool you know JMS. He should be talking to Netflix about rebooting B5 and doing it true to his vision. At least a movie.

TWD is currently in that grouping ... for God sake, find the cure or just kill everybody

On 2/28/2019 at 12:36 AM, Buftex said:

Pretty much any "good" show that was ever on SHOWTIME, went on for way too long... 

Dexter - should have ended after the Trinity Killer in season 3,

Shameless -it is painful to watch now, even though it has a fantastic cast, just awful writing

Nurse Jackie - it wasn't horrible at the end, but it just got sort of repetitive, should have ended a season earlier

Weeds- Really liked it, until they went to Mexico, season 5 I think...the last 3 seasons were terrible

Homeland- could have ended after 2 seasons

Others:

The Walking Dead: had the uncanny ability to make you keep watching, even though it was, in truth, never very good.  It seemed like you were always waiting for it to get better, and they made it seemed like it would...but it was just the same thing, over and over....terrible show. Stopped watching during the first Neegan season. Horrible, lazy writing....

Just started season five of "Ray Donovan" ... still strong IMO

4 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

TWD is currently in that grouping ... for God sake, find the cure or just kill everybody

I looked at that quickly, and actually had to make sure ‘TWD’ didn’t stand for Two Bills Drive...?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Too many guddam acronyms!

On 3/1/2019 at 1:50 AM, Mark Vader said:

"Horse Hockey!"

I know that a lot of people stopped watching MASH after McLean Stevenson left.

Too me, MASH was one of the greatest television shows ever from start to finish.

MASH the movie by the great Robert Altman > MASH the TV series, and Donald Sutherland is Hawkeye Pierce, not the mediocre Alan Alda.

Maybe this belongs in the controversial opinion thread instead. :D

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Stopped watching that once E got engaged.

Felt like it jumped the shark at that point.

you could believe that E could have more than one hottie begging for his everlasting devotion at once?