Crabtree releases

6 hours ago, vincec said:

To be honest I'm not sure what the Bills offense requires. People say that Daboll runs the Patriots offense but the Patriot offense is completely derived from Tom Brady's abilities as a QB- accurate short and medium range passing with an incredible ability to read defenses and make quick, correct decisions both before and after the snap.  It can't possibly look the same with Josh Allen at QB. His is obviously different physically and undoubtedly intellectually as well.

“Undoubtedly?” I would not be so quick to question Allen’s mental acuity. We’re talking about a raw prospect who is still learning. Brady didn’t become Brady overnight. Brady averaged 13 picks/year over his first six full seasons and didn’t have a QB rating of 100 until his 8th year in the league.

Give Josh a chance. 

8 hours ago, vincec said:

To be honest I'm not sure what the Bills offense requires. People say that Daboll runs the Patriots offense but the Patriot offense is completely derived from Tom Brady's abilities as a QB- accurate short and medium range passing with an incredible ability to read defenses and make quick, correct decisions both before and after the snap.  It can't possibly look the same with Josh Allen at QB. His is obviously different physically and undoubtedly intellectually as well.

Well, one scored a 37 on the wonderlic and the othe scored 33.  There will be different wrinkles and different plays.  The E/P system isnt complex in its self.  What requires intelligents is what you do as an offense changes from week to week based on your team and your opponent.  A lot more teams have used it than I had originally believed.  I guess you could say the Offense itself isnt complex as much as the reason some teams use it.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

14 hours ago, Buftex said:

I would take him, of course, depending on the salary.  I am not sure judging him off last years numbers is a completely accurate way to judge him.  He has a scrappiness that Bills receivers haven't had in years...he's old, sure, but we could do worse, if his attitude is good.

His attitude is Bad....not a guy you want on your team imho.

18 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He would easily be our most complete WR.. he is physical and has really good hands

i would give him a 1-2 year deal to be a middle of the field and RZ threat

HE'S GOT HANDS shocked at how picky we are about WR right now.

19 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

On this we agree

We also need some veteran leadership in that WR room

This for me is the biggest argument for bringing him in. I wouldn't rush out and sign him tomorrow but if Crabtree sits out there a little while and the Bills don't think they can land a Golden Tate for example then I'd certainly consider him on the basis of bringing in vet leadership.

On 2/25/2019 at 2:06 PM, eball said:

And THIS, my friends, is why this board is so awesome.

:lol:

To be fair it’s not thaaaaat huge of a trench to reconcile him being both mediocre and potentially more complete than the rest of our depth chart

17 hours ago, eball said:

“Undoubtedly?” I would not be so quick to question Allen’s mental acuity. We’re talking about a raw prospect who is still learning. Brady didn’t become Brady overnight. Brady averaged 13 picks/year over his first six full seasons and didn’t have a QB rating of 100 until his 8th year in the league.

Give Josh a chance. 

Portraying that it may take him 7 more years to catch up as a defense to him not being on the same level is an interesting take. If anything I think you underscored that he’s undoubtedly not there yet.

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Portraying that it may take him 7 more years to catch up as a defense to him not being on the same level is an interesting take. If anything I think you underscored that he’s undoubtedly not there yet.

Except that’s not at all what I “portrayed.”

On 2/26/2019 at 3:42 AM, eball said:

Give Josh a chance. 

I'm not saying that one is smart and one is dumb. I'm saying that they have different skill sets, including their mental abilities. Installing the offense that was built around Tom Brady for Josh Allen doesn't make a lot sense to me and I doubt they are planning to do that long term. So, in reference to the post I was responding to, how can you judge if players fit a certain system when it's not clear what the system is?

34 minutes ago, vincec said:

I'm not saying that one is smart and one is dumb. I'm saying that they have different skill sets, including their mental abilities. Installing the offense that was built around Tom Brady for Josh Allen doesn't make a lot sense to me and I doubt they are planning to do that long term. So, in reference to the post I was responding to, how can you judge if players fit a certain system when it's not clear what the system is?

The only thing I'm saying is that I don't think it's fair to say that "undoubtedly" Josh has less mental acuity than Brady until we've actually seen how he develops.  I completely agree that an offensive system should be designed to take advantage of a QB's strengths and minimize his weaknesses.