Impeachment Hearings Open In House Of Representatives

Tiberius

On 2/27/2019 at 5:10 PM, Foxx said:

i might argue that it is ultimately about laying the cornerstone for impeachment.

On 2/27/2019 at 6:37 PM, GG said:

There was really nothing there to tie a crime while in office. 

To me, the leak of the financial statement supporting the Bills bid was much bigger, because it starts to implicate Trump Org, loan agreements, etc. 

seems i am not alone in my assessment.

https://twitter.com/KimStrassel/status/1100964102292279298

• Like (+1) 1

If you thought Cohen had a lot to say, wait for Weisselberg -- who’s been charged with no crime for the Republicans to holler about -- to take the House members through checks, financial statements, phone conversations and the rest detailing Trump’s finances. Judging from Cohen’s testimony it does not seem like the Southern District of New York prosecutors have much of a problem with the House plowing over some of the same ground they have covered.

In other words, way before moving on to consider the possibility of impeachment there will be months of hearings laying out in public potential Trump crimes and assembling a list of Trump’s lies. None of this, or very little, may touch on the Russia probe and Robert S. Mueller’s final report. This, by the way, is why Trump and his cronies were so upset when Cohen’s office and home were raided.

No wonder Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is in no rush to move to impeachment. “Impeachment is a divisive issue,” she warned at her Thursday press conference. Why bother with something that will raise hackles and in all likelihood amount to nothing. given the Senate will not agree to remove Trump? Instead, Democrats can have a year or more of hearings to inform the voters what kind of character Trump is -- while litigation on foreign emoluments, for example, delves into his foreign holdings and liabilities.

Remember, provided no statute of limitations has run out, federal and state crimes (for which a presidential pardon is unavailable) can be pursued after Trump leaves office.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/03/01/heres-democrats-smartest-post-cohen-strategy/?utm_term=.aed09f9c7385

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/davis-cohen-testimony-house-intel-game-changing

Lanny Davis, lawyer for Michael Cohen, told MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow Thursday that his client’s closed-door testimony was “game changing” and included so much new information that the House Intelligence Committee decided to bring him back next week.

Davis could not go into detail about the testimony, but said it mostly related to “lying and obstruction,” not the core of the Russia investigation.

“I think that the Trump White House, and Mr. Trump himself, doesn’t seem to have read the definition of obstruction of justice or of suborning perjury,” Davis said. “That’s about the best I can tell you, but it’s pretty explosive.”

Lanny Davis says Cohen’s closed-door testimony was “game-changing,” chock full of new information pic.twitter.com/5jIDaSdvmV

— TPM Livewire (@TPMLiveWire) March 1, 2019

Cohen is slated to return before the House Intelligence Committee on March 6. “There’s not much I can say other than it was very productive,” Cohen said of the first session. “As I said, I’m committed to telling the truth, and I will be back on March 6 to finish up. There’s more to discuss.”

• Haha (+1) 1

perhaps there is more to the story of Talib charging Meadows with racism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CGhxWJTKMU

some interesting thoughts and back links here.

Lynne Patton: “Michael Cohen turned on the President because Mueller threatened to throw his wife in jail for up to 30 years”…

... Lynne Patton: […] 3) Many of you may already know that I considered Michael Cohen to be one of my very best friends. Countless people can confirm that we were virtually inseparable during my employment at Trump – and that he is, single-handedly – responsible for introducing me to the Trump family and effectively changing my entire life. I would be lying if I didn’t admit that my heart still breaks for him and for his family, with whom I had grown extremely close.

4) What many of you may not be aware of is the fact that I can personally confirm that the ONLY reason Michael Cohen “turned on” the President of the United States is because Mueller threatened to throw his wife in jail for up to 30 years. Period. She is the co-guarantor of a $20M personal loan that Mueller discovered Michael secured back in 2015 by falsely inflating the value of his taxi medallions – effectively making her part & parcel to the federal charge of “Making False Statements to a Financial Institution,” to which Cohen ultimately plead guilty. This is also the reason why Cohen’s longtime taxi medallion partner, Evgeny “Gene” Freidman, was granted immunity. (read more) ...

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Why 1 simple lie by Michael Cohen could invalidate his entire testimony

CNN, by Chris Cillizza

Original Article

That is an interesting article, and I agree it all hinges on the texts. As I have said, he can always claim how could the personal lawyer to POTUS not be considered a White House job..that is certainly what it meant to him!!!

BTW, Cillezza can pretty funny on the Tony Kornheiser podcast

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

That is an interesting article, and I agree it all hinges on the texts. As I have said, he can always claim how could the personal lawyer to POTUS not be considered a White House job..that is certainly what it meant to him!!!

BTW, Cillezza can pretty funny on the Tony Kornheiser podcast

Except during his testimony he stated that he didn't want a WH job, he had the job he wanted and that was 45's personal lawyer.  How much of a pretzel does one have to twist the logic to say that he DID consider that a WH job when he's stated under oath that he DIDN'T consider that a WH job?

Just now, Taro T said:

Except during his testimony he stated that he didn't want a WH job, he had the job he wanted and that was 45's personal lawyer.  How much of a pretzel does one have to twist the logic to say that he DID consider that a WH job when he's stated under oath that he DIDN'T consider that a WH job?

pretty easy actually i think...he just states he did not want an "official" white house job, but he wanted to work in the "White House" .. Listen, the guy is pure scum, there is no doubt. but we are talking lawyers here,,, they can twist anything!

23 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

pretty easy actually i think...he just states he did not want an "official" white house job, but he wanted to work in the "White House" .. Listen, the guy is pure scum, there is no doubt. but we are talking lawyers here,,, they can twist anything!

And he can try to pursue that path.  But he doesn't have the same clout 42 had when "it depends on the definition of 'is '."

Will be very surprised if, as others have suggested here much more eloquently that he will, he doesn't end up with a lengthier prison term based on this round of testimony.

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I hope the IRS has the sense to tell the House to go pound sand up their ass.  The IRS should not be handing over anyone's tax returns outside of a criminal case.

that's what this is, isn't  it? i mean, that's what the Democrats would have us think, right?

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

D0mH5zxWkAAAmuy.jpg

Perfect and usual stupidity from Three of Six. 

No evidence that Cohen was Hillary's lawyer. Kennedy is not Chairman of the Clinton Foundation. 

But besides that, it does label Hillary and Cohen correctly as the humans in the picture. Unless they are lizard people. 

59 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Trump used to be close friends with the Clintons, too.

Guilt by association implicates Trump in his own overthrow of his own presidency.

So that means that Trump colluded with the Russians through his prior association with the Clintons?!?

CALL MUELLER!!!1111

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Well, if you want to play the stupid guilt by association game.  Also, I thought Cohen only had three clients.

pic_nrd_20160328_bunch-1.jpg?fit=800,457

Does anyone else here now think the glove actually fit Trump?

Edited by Koko78
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Perfect and usual stupidity from Three of Six. 

No evidence that Cohen was Hillary's lawyer. Kennedy is not Chairman of the Clinton Foundation. 

But besides that, it does label Hillary and Cohen correctly as the humans in the picture. Unless they are lizard people. 

wait, i thought i was two of six. did i get demoted?

this couldn't possibly bite them in the ass, right?

this SJW crap is really getting out of hand...

:lol:

House Democrats to Probe Trump Attacks on FBI, Courts, Media

House Democrats are opening an investigation into what they say are abuses of power by President Donald Trump through his attacks on the courts, the Justice Department, the FBI and the media, according to a House official familiar with the plans.

Topics for the inquiry will include Trump’s public humiliation of former Attorney General Jeff Sessions, his attacks on actions by the liberal Ninth Circuit Court and his abuse of reporters as “dishonest” and “enemies of the people,” said the person, who asked for anonymity to discuss sensitive matters. ...

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

this couldn't possibly bite them in the ass, right?

this SJW crap is really getting out of hand...

:lol:

House Democrats to Probe Trump Attacks on FBI, Courts, Media

House Democrats are opening an investigation into what they say are abuses of power by President Donald Trump through his attacks on the courts, the Justice Department, the FBI and the media, according to a House official familiar with the plans.

Topics for the inquiry will include Trump’s public humiliation of former Attorney General Jeff Sessions, his attacks on actions by the liberal Ninth Circuit Court and his abuse of reporters as “dishonest” and “enemies of the people,” said the person, who asked for anonymity to discuss sensitive matters. ...

So they're going to investigate him for... exercising his right to free speech?

I can't wait for the follow up investigation: Does Trump prefer his toilet paper rolls to go over or under?!?

• Haha (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I sliced turkey for him once working at a Tops.  The only thing I could find for an autograph was my Tops apron.

So, did you steal the apron and has the statute of limitations expired?

14 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Does anyone else here now think the glove actually fit Trump?

The glove was small but not that small.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Sounds like collusion to me.  'Cause...y'know...slicing...

I'm still trying to figure out why he was at a Tonawanda tops in the early 80's, but who knows if I planted the idea in his head.  Well, allegedy.  

32 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

So, did you steal the apron and has the statute of limitations expired?

I wish I had a more exciting story but I offered to buy it from the head manager and he just give me the "are you kidding?" look and said keep it.  I was only making about three bucks an hour so it was pretty psyched about that.  That guy was a dick to so I was surprised.  It's now in my attic.  My wife doesn't want me to display it because of the armed robbery conviction, but my counter is for her to name one other NFL player who ran for 2,000 yards in a season in only 14 games.  I've found it easier over the years just to let her win though.