Report: Bills interested in UFA TE Jesse James

YoloinOhio

21 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

Jesse James is clearly a back up tight end. The guy looks like he has the 40 time of an offensive lineman. I live in Pittsburgh and watch the Steelers games every week while streaming the bills. Jesse James was given every opportunity to beat out Vance Mcdonald and couldn’t even do that. Guy is not athletic whatsoever. 

He is a poor mans scott chandler. 

I would rather have Max Williams from Baltimore as a back up. Jesse James is awful 

Thank you. That's what I saw while watching his "highlight" reel. Looked very slow. I think he would be on par with Chandler. Big, strong, good hands, but slow....

5 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Wow! What a great memory to have!!! He is amazing live and yeah, just a super down to earth guy! Alot dont know, but he gave the Eagles their edge when they moved away from Southern Rock i.e. Hotel California, Life in the Fast Lane etc....

I would so be there! 

If I smashed it, his accountants would pay for it all!

Im pretty certain every Eagles fan knows this.

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess that we will agree to disagree. I know Clay wasn’t very good last year but his production fell off a cliff. I don’t think a TE is that important with Allen. I’d still like one but would rather spend the same money on John Brown if you had to pick one or the other.

....if they respect his arm for the deep ball, why not have options underneath?....nothing like having a mumblin', grumblin', stumblin' 250+ lb TE down the seam....opposition has killed us for years with that simple recipe IMO......

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....if they respect his arm for the deep ball, why not have options underneath?....nothing like having a mumblin', grumblin', stumblin' 250+ lb TE down the seam....opposition has killed us for years with that simple recipe IMO......

I’m not saying “don’t” have it. I am saying that the best part of Allen’s game is his big play ability. We should do everything possible to surround him with people to help in that. That, to me, is OL help and speed. Play to your strengths and be elite at something not okay at a bunch of things. 

Also, to me it is more about the player. James is a guy imo. We need people like that but he’s not moving the needle. That makes me totally indifferent on him. If the price is right, sure. If not, find someone else.

I think he is an improvement on what we had and have at TE.  Smart move.  These really should be the type of moves made on offense.  Outside of a trade or going after Bell, Buffalo needs to find solid contributors for offense on their 2nd contracts.  

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not saying “don’t” have it. I am saying that the best part of Allen’s game is his big play ability. We should do everything possible to surround him with people to help in that. That, to me, is OL help and speed. Play to your strengths and be elite at something not okay at a bunch of things. 

Also, to me it is more about the player. James is a guy imo. We need people like that but he’s not moving the needle. That makes me totally indifferent on him. If the price is right, sure. If not, find someone else.

A TE that can exploit matchups on a team with a big arm QB where the safeties have to fear the deep ball can be lethal.  

Its why Kelce went from very good to nearly unstoppable this year.  He was wide open everywhere because they had to contend with the serious threat of the deep ball on every play.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

As long as he’s looking touchdowns first is rather spend on that read. As he picks up the underneath spend there. I recall many a thread with myself included saying clay would be the key to Tyrod throwing inside the hashes. 

Get weapons for what what guys do well and lean on naturally and let the rest be serviceable 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t see how (or why) they’d move to a more ball controlled offense? That’s not who Allen is. That’s Alex Smith. Allen is a guy that makes big plays and throws with a lot of air yards. I don’t see the Bills throwing a lot of curls. They try to pick up chunks at a time. I haven’t read anywhere that they plan to change that and would be surprised to see if I did.

I think ball control and taking the easy throw is going to be a huge focus for Daboll and Allen this year. There was an interview with Phoebe Schecter the other day on the locked on Bills podcast, she's the female coaching intern that joined the team last year. It was actually a great interview if you get a chance to listen to it, it endeared me to McDermott a lot. But Joe Marino asked her about Allen and she basically said he always wants to take the big throw even when the RB is running wide open, and once he learns to take that throw he will be special. I was surprised to hear her say it like that but it made me think that's the coaching staff's goal with Allen. She said the messaging to the team and to the coaches is always very clear, and the messaging about Allen appears to be "take the easy throw."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I didn’t realize that. That changes everything. He’s a top 5 guy now (just behind Lee Smith). 

If you read my post I said that I'd rank him 15th-20th so your sarcasm makes zero sense in this situation. James is not a prolific reciever... He is the old school classic TE that still make solid starters. You can't just look at recieving numbers... But whole body of work.   Especially with a player who had to compete for touches with guys like Leveon Bell and Antonio Brown and JuJu Smith Schuster.  

He is also only 24 and has improved. He increased his yard per catch from 8 to 14 this year which is huge sign of improvement. And a reason to be optimistic that he can still develop into a good receiving TE.

On 2/21/2019 at 3:40 PM, HappyDays said:

Makes sense as a stopgap. Joe Marino talked about him on the locked on Bills podcast the other day and said he's not particularly athletic, but he's reliable and would definitely be an improvement. I expect us to draft a TE on day 1 or 2 regardless.

Whats up breh. Is thete a link to this?

I always respected Marino when i learned the game of football beyond being a child fan.

One of the best QBs to never win a SB. I wouldve wanted Marino, Kosar, McNabb, and Warren Moon to win rings. Felt like McNabb shouldve made it to more superbowls.wats ur take breh

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think ball control and taking the easy throw is going to be a huge focus for Daboll and Allen this year. There was an interview with Phoebe Schecter the other day on the locked on Bills podcast, she's the female coaching intern that joined the team last year. It was actually a great interview if you get a chance to listen to it, it endeared me to McDermott a lot. But Joe Marino asked her about Allen and she basically said he always wants to take the big throw even when the RB is running wide open, and once he learns to take that throw he will be special. I was surprised to hear her say it like that but it made me think that's the coaching staff's goal with Allen. She said the messaging to the team and to the coaches is always very clear, and the messaging about Allen appears to be "take the easy throw."

Thanks for this.  I didn't hear the interview.   Some coaches were very clear about this at the end of the season.  It seemed like the single most important thing they want is to get Allen to take the easy completion.  

I don't know specifics, but I said in some post a day or two ago that they want Allen to throw the ball that has a 90% likelihood of being completed for 5 yards rather than than a ball that's 50% that could go for 30.   It seems counter-intuitive, but the metrics guys seem to have figured out that completions are more important than yards.  

Now, getting Allen to complete 65% of his passes by taking a half dozen easy throws a game doesn't necessarily equate to what we old timers called a ball control offense, unless all you mean is that ball control is opposite of quick strike.   

And ball control doesn't necessarily mean conservative, either.   I think McDermott certainly is smart enough to recognize that he has an amazing weapon hanging off Allen's right shoulder, and he's smart enough to know that it would be foolish of him not to take advantage of it.  I think what they're telling Allen is that every time he has a guy open deep, take it.   But if the guy is covered, so you have only a 50-60% chance of completing it, don't go there.  

I think it's not ball control, which is the phrase I used, so much as a philosophy that says make every play positive.  On 10 throws, 8 completions is better than 5 completions, even if the 5 go for more yards than the 8.   Make every play positive.  

I'd guess they're telling Allen that the only balls they want incomplete are intentional throw aways.  

44 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks for this.  I didn't hear the interview.

You can listen to it here:

https://player.fm/series/locked-on-bills/locked-on-bills-22119-phoebe-schecter-interview

There's a lot of fluff about how she got into the NFL, but the nuggets she offers about McDermott, Allen, and Edmunds are very interesting.

• Awesome! (+1) 1