Cardinals sign Charles Clay

JK Fan

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Which Bills’ qb has more passing yards in a season than Ryan Tannehill since he has been drafted?  

Its hilarious how people act like our receivers suck all the time when we have had trash throwing to them.  Almost every receiver leaves Buffalo (barring injury) and magically improves. 

Its also funny how every Bills player this board turns on magically finds work right away. 

Tyrod had more yards in his three seasons with the Bills 2015-17 then Tannehill did in the same years.. There is no ability like availability.

Not sure what that has to do with Clay though...particularly the 2019 version that the Bills cut last week

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I freely admit I was going off memory about Clay against us (too many hits to the head I guess).  Still, I completely stand by the signing. At least, the Bills finally tried to do something about TE.  For a decade, NE always makes TE a priority and we completely ignore it. 

Me too - I really thought he was going to help our forever lacking TE corps and I wanted to ignore the knee red flags.  Just feel like, in the end he was injured too often, then it seemed like lost his ability to catch in big situations.

Regardless, here's to hoping we fill this roster spot with a young, dynamic TE! :beer:

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Me too - I really thought he was going to help our forever lacking TE corps and I wanted to ignore the knee red flags.  Just feel like, in the end he was injured too often, then it seemed like lost his ability to catch in big situations.

Regardless, here's to hoping we fill this roster spot with a young, dynamic TE! :beer:

I’m really upset with myself for my bad memory. I think that first game clouded my memory.

and I pray they take a dynamic TE. Next to qb, it’s the position we overlook.  Especially for a young qb.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I have never seen a player have so many passes thrown his way where he is jogging or not looking for the ball.  3rd down and critical junction in the game, runs out to the sideline, Tyrod hits him in the back as he doesn't even turn to look for the ball...we lost the game.  Touchdowns dropped (several times), key first downs dropped (several times), half a** routes when he isnt engaged in the game, etc etc.

Ive been complaining about his lack of focus on a week to week basis for several years now.  He is a guy who can be lethal when fully engaged, but if he isn't a focal point enough, he tends to lack the focus and commitment on an every down basis and makes a lot of mental errors.  My biggest Clay complaint over the years has been this.  

Not excusing it but the all 22 used to show Clay getting open all the time and getting missed.  All receivers seem to struggle in Buffalo.  Maybe it’s not just the receivers’ fault. ?‍♂️

I’m really upset with myself for my bad memory. I think that first game clouded my memory.

and I pray they take a dynamic TE. Next to qb, it’s the position we overlook.  Especially for a young qb.

Not excusing it but the all 22 used to show Clay getting open all the time and getting missed.  All receivers seem to struggle in Buffalo.  Maybe it’s not just the receivers’ fault. ?‍♂️

I don't disagree he was underused through bad coaching and bad QB's...however that doesn't validate all his own mental mistakes.  

And that was kind of my point.  If Clay wasn't being a big part of the offense his focus would drop.  If they weren't hitting him when the chances were there, he became less engaged and focused.  

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Injuries took their toll but I never got the hate.  He will be a solid/ move TE for them.  Good for Clay and a nice addition for Rosen. 

Well injuries are the reason for the hate b/c he was never on the field enough... so if the Cards can get 2-3 games from him they will be lucky. TBH I think he is done for as a TE in this league. Now he goes to a garbage QB and will have even worse time.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't disagree he was underused through bad coaching and bad QB's...however that doesn't validate all his own mental mistakes.  

And that was kind of my point.  If Clay wasn't being a big part of the offense his focus would drop.  If they weren't hitting him when the chances were there, he became less engaged and focused.  

I definitely get your point and obviously, you need to be a professional.  But I do think it does get to you when are getting open and just not even being looked at.  Plus, with our passing attack, you only get a few chances a game so you get in your head a bit that you have to make the most of your chances. 

I didnt like he Zay pick but I do think his biggest issue was confidence.  

But this team badly needs a number 1 TE and a good 2nd TE.  They add so much to your offense and makes it so much more dangerous.  

4 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Well injuries are the reason for the hate b/c he was never on the field enough... so if the Cards can get 2-3 games from him they will be lucky. TBH I think he is done for as a TE in this league. Now he goes to a garbage QB and will have even worse time.

Love calling a 2nd year qb garbage. Smart.

• Like (+1) 1

I definitely get your point and obviously, you need to be a professional.  But I do think it does get to you when are getting open and just not even being looked at.  Plus, with our passing attack, you only get a few chances a game so you get in your head a bit that you have to make the most of your chances. 

But this team badly needs a number 1 TE and a good 2nd TE.  They add so much to your offense and makes it so much more dangerous.  

Love calling a 2nd year qb garbage. Smart.

Smarter then most people that think he is better then garbage.

Sadly, I had an nfl player tell me this about Buffalo. ?

Yeah, that wasn’t a smart thought and I would loved to bet you a lot of money of that happening. 

I wonder what the contract info is, because if there are no guarantees then he will probably be released after TC. He looked really bad last year and the only thing he did even a little better than average was blocking.

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I wonder what the contract info is, because if there are no guarantees then he will probably be released after TC. He looked really bad last year and the only thing he did even a little better than average was blocking.

He definitely could be.  But I can’t believe people really thought he won’t be signed as a 2nd TE somewhere.  It’s not like he was exactly playing with Brees or Brady here.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

The warmer weather of Arizona should be better for the arthritis in his knees.

You’re kidding but there is so truth to this. Summer in Buffalo (Arizona is hell in the summer) and then go to Arizona. 

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Probably because thats how unmemorable and non involved most of Clays games are :nana:

Actually all but last season he had respectable stats.  Good blocking.  He would have had a lot more if Tyrod didnt suck as a passer.  Just couldnt overcome his verticle difficiency.

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Just when I thought the Cardinals were starting to figure it out, they fall back into the abyss of stupidity. And for all those so mortified over the negative comments Charles is getting,  name me 1 remarkable season he had with us under that inflated contract? He was the Chris Kelsay of Bill's TE's. If anything helps accelerate Rosen's political career it will be Charles....

Even Rosen is a better passer than Tyrod.

31 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He definitely could be.  But I can’t believe people really thought he won’t be signed as a 2nd TE somewhere.  It’s not like he was exactly playing with Brees or Brady here.

You’re kidding but there is so truth to this. Summer in Buffalo (Arizona is hell in the summer) and then go to Arizona. 

Hes better than a lot of the #1 TEs.  He definitely needed a change of scenery though.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

He wasn't for Allen.  Why for Rosen?

Maybe he was the wrong Josh.  Josh is more of a downtown thrower and Clay is a chain mover when healthy.

Yeah, it’s pretty pathetic from some of the greatest fans.  I mean if you hate OJ, I get it.  But people hated Gilmore because he didn’t smile. So dumb.

Yea some only hate current Bills teams and bash them constantly while claiming to be fans.  How stupid is that?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Tyrod had more yards in his three seasons with the Bills 2015-17 then Tannehill did in the same years.. There is no ability like availability.

Not sure what that has to do with Clay though...particularly the 2019 version that the Bills cut last week

I guess I should have said in seasons when RT stayed healthy (I assumed people would make that conclusion). As sad as it is, RT was a better passer than anyone Clay played with in Buffalo.

29 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Maybe he was the wrong Josh.  Josh is more of a downtown thrower and Clay is a chain mover when healthy.

Yea some only hate current Bills teams and bash them constantly while claiming to be fans.  How stupid is that?

You nailed me!!! I can’t believe I don’t praised all of our great offensive moves and our super great results!  Pass the cult lime  aid!

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You nailed me!!! I can’t believe I don’t praised all of our great offensive moves and our super great results!  Pass the cult lime  aid!

I was talking in general but I guess you feel it is appropriate to you.  Cannot judge but I guess you are a good judge of yourself.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

No doubt, I am sure its very frustrating to run all out, beat the coverage, and then not get the ball thrown your way.  But, a guy making the money he was, you have to keep giving your all and be ready to make the plays when your number is called.  And he was just a guy that seemed to drift if he wasn't getting the looks. 

I did like the Zay pick, but I remain a skeptic of his future here at this moment.  Hopefully he can get better, but he just doesn't excel yet at anything and I agree with you that confidence is probably a big part of that.  

If we bring in 2 or 3 more WRs via FA and draft, then I think his roster spot is in jeopardy.  Foster already passed him, Duke has the potential to pass him as well.  Thats 3 guys already in the room plus potential 2 or 3 more via FA and Draft and its going to be a stiff competition as they likely only keep 5 of those guys plus one more ST/Gadget WR.  So if I am Zay then I am paying close attention to how many WRs we bring in and what type they are.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1