Hate Crime or Hoax?

The_Dude

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HE’S RIGHT ON THIS:

Wilfred Reilly’s Hate Crime Hoax: How the Left is Selling a Fake Race War 

is worth reading. I speak to plenty of people on the left side of the political spectrum. They are adamant that hoaxes are rare … but they are not right.  

The fact that they persist in saying so (and/or believing so) is part of the problem.

(For the “Cliff Notes” version, see my dissenting statement in the recent report of Commission on Civil Rights.

I cite Reilly there.)

by Gail Heriot

And, now I read an article about Sacha Baron Cohen ripping into Facebook and Zuckerberg and see he says this:

With all of this in mind, Baron Cohen turned to the rise of demagoguery, conspiracy theories and hate crimes around the world, and pointed to what he sees as the most logical explanation for this dangerous trend. “All this hate and violence is being facilitated by a handful of internet companies that amount to the greatest propaganda machine in history,” he said.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sacha-baron-cohen-uses-adl-speech-to-tear-apart-mark-zuckerberg-and-facebook?amp=1  

8 hours ago, bbb said:

And, now I read an article about Sacha Baron Cohen ripping into Facebook and Zuckerberg and see he says this:

With all of this in mind, Baron Cohen turned to the rise of demagoguery, conspiracy theories and hate crimes around the world, and pointed to what he sees as the most logical explanation for this dangerous trend. “All this hate and violence is being facilitated by a handful of internet companies that amount to the greatest propaganda machine in history,” he said.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sacha-baron-cohen-uses-adl-speech-to-tear-apart-mark-zuckerberg-and-facebook?amp=1  

Ooh.  Commie fight.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 12:23 PM, B-Man said:

The Trayvon Martin Hoax Comes Crashing Down

by Karl Notturno

Original Article

Remember Skittles and iced-tea? In the aftermath of Trayvon Martin’s fatal confrontation with George Zimmerman, the media went to great pains to characterize the teenager as an innocent kid who was shot for wearing a hoodie while black. After all, this depiction fit their narrative—their narrative of a country filled with racist rednecks just waiting for a chance to shoot innocent and unarmed black teenagers.

Now Zimmerman sues over this:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article238030539.html  

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Ah yes, the good old days when the mere mention of Zimmerman’s name would send certain members of this board into frothing tirades!

Little did they know what lay around the corner.

You mean when George Zimmerman, the white Hispanic, hunted down the innocent little boy who could be Obama's son like a dog? Good times here!

I hesitated to post this earlier, since he is such a flawed (but innocent) man...............................like all of us.

He has (supposedly) written an article that I will put here.

Original Article

Most people know my name, George Zimmerman, largely due to negative stereotypes propagated by the media as a result of the 2012 incident in Sanford, Florida, in which Trayvon Martin died.

Unfortunately, most people don’t recall the fact that I was exonerated of any wrongdoing after a thorough investigation by the Sanford Police Department in March 2012. They had interviewed dozens of witnesses, analyzed 911 calls, and examined the physical evidence of my broken nose, the lacerations on the back of my head, as well as the bruised knuckles of my assailant.

More at the link:

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, B-Man said:

I hesitated to post this earlier, since he is such a flawed (but innocent) man...............................like all of us.

He has (supposedly) written an article that I will put here.

Original Article

Most people know my name, George Zimmerman, largely due to negative stereotypes propagated by the media as a result of the 2012 incident in Sanford, Florida, in which Trayvon Martin died.

Unfortunately, most people don’t recall the fact that I was exonerated of any wrongdoing after a thorough investigation by the Sanford Police Department in March 2012. They had interviewed dozens of witnesses, analyzed 911 calls, and examined the physical evidence of my broken nose, the lacerations on the back of my head, as well as the bruised knuckles of my assailant.

More at the link:

16 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Ah yes, the good old days when the mere mention of Zimmerman’s name would send certain members of this board into frothing tirades!

Little did they know what lay around the corner.

Yeah lets see how far this goes, might just be a money grab, I am surprised it is into getting more publicity.  I thin this is probably thread worthy.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yeah lets see how far this goes, might just be a money grab, I am surprised it is into getting more publicity.  I thin this is probably thread worthy.

This isn't going to get any coverage.  Just like it got virtually no coverage when the facts came out about what really happened that night.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm surprised the WaPo actually sent this out via email.  

The Washington Post
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Trending Now Dec 5, 1:28 PM

Slurs were scrawled on an Indiana church after Trump’s election. The investigation uncovered an unlikely suspect — and a hoax.

"Heil Trump," a swastika and an anti-gay slur spray-painted on St. David’s Episcopal Church were part of a string of high-profile hate crime reports in 2016. Then the detective on the case in rural Brown County began to suspect it was something else. Could the hateful graffiti plastered on the side of the church have been written by somebody who planned to sit in the pews Sunday morning?

Read more »

Although it was pretty apologetic to the perpetrator.   And, it had this: 

Real hate crimes far outnumber fake ones. Exact estimates vary, but academic researchers put the number of confirmed hate hoaxes in 2016 in the dozens — a tiny fraction of the 6,121 crimes of bias reported that year to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Why is it I can't even remember any that actually were real.  I'm sure there are some, but out of the ones in that the media reports on, they almost all have turned out to be hoaxes............And, surely they don't far outnumber the fake ones.  

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, bbb said:

Why is it I can't even remember any that actually were real.  I'm sure there are some, but out of the ones in that the media reports on, they almost all have turned out to be hoaxes............And, surely they don't far outnumber the fake ones.  

Because the fake ones are done specifically for the coverage, which means they're more effectively and more loudly reported and promoted to the media.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Because the fake ones are done specifically for the coverage, which means they're more effectively and more loudly reported and promoted to the media.

That makes sense in being a factor. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx hires outside legal help in Jussie Smollett probe, won’t say how much it’s costing taxpayers

With election season in high gear, Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx and her office have retained some high-powered legal assistance in the ongoing probe of Foxx’s controversial handling of the Jussie Smollett case.

Ruben Castillo, the former chief judge of the Northern District of Illinois and now a partner at the politically connected law firm Akerman, has been helping the state’s attorney’s office for the past three months to vet voluminous materials requested by special prosecutor Dan Webb.

In addition, Foxx has brought in well-known Washington, D.C., attorney Michael Bromwich to represent her personally in the Smollett matter, which has become a flashpoint in the Democratic primary.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

In addition, Foxx has brought in well-known Washington, D.C., attorney Michael Bromwich to represent her personally in the Smollett matter, which has become a flashpoint in the Democratic primary.

For what it's worth, this is from Wikipedia about Michael Bromwich:

In 2018, he began leading the legal team of former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe. On September 22, Bromwich announced he would also be joining the legal team of Christine Blasey Ford, the college professor who earlier that month publicly alleged that U.S. Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her in 1982, when they were both teenagers, in what she described as an attempted rape.

Sounds like a stand up guy...

• Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

Dumbass should have just quietly paid the money to reimburse the city, done a few goodwill photos with some Chicago PD officers, and left it at that.

No, he had to spike the football following his crooked deal, then double down on his stupidity afterwards.

53 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Dumbass should have just quietly paid the money to reimburse the city, done a few goodwill photos with some Chicago PD officers, and left it at that.

No, he had to spike the football following his crooked deal, then double down on his stupidity afterwards.

He should have taken a page out of the Podesta brother's book. 

7 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

He should have taken a page out of the Podesta brother's book. 

Far too few realize that many times, the best course of action is just to shut the ***** up.

Years ago, in a job far, far away, a coworker and I were getting chewed out by our boss. We had come back into the office earlier than we were supposed to, and gave him some BS reason why we didn't finish all our stops (we were sales/service for things.) He kept trying to talk his way out of it, and the boss was just yelling at him more and more. He finally pointed at me, and asked why I wasn't being yelled at. The boss said, "because he's smart enough to keep his mouth shut!"

Edited by Koko78

12 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Far too few realize that many times, the best course of action is just to shut the ***** up.

Years ago, in a job far, far away, a coworker and I were getting chewed out by our boss. We had come back into the office earlier than we were supposed to, and gave him some BS reason why we didn't finish all our stops (we were sales/service for things.) He kept trying to talk his way out of it, and the boss was just yelling at him more and more. He finally pointed at me, and asked why I wasn't being yelled at. The boss said, "because he's smart enough to keep his mouth shut!"

I once had a boss who would deliberately ask a question, listen to my answer and then turn silent with the expectation that I'd go rattling on and somehow spill the beans on something. I'd keep silent and It became a mini battle of wills and I left his office several times with a statement along the lines of "well, if you have nothing else, I've got work to do". 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...