Tyrod Taylor has 'nothing but love' for Buffalo

wppete

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Fans were divided on Tyrod. Just as they were divided on EJ, on Trent Edwards, on JP Losman, etc. On my part, I defended Tyrod until the second half of his last season as a starter. I came to the realization by that point that he simply didn't have what it takes to be a consistently good QB. A lot of fans were in the same boat.

My bias is a Bills bias, and I aknowledge that. I trust and support the moves the team makes. I trusted them when they made Tyrod the starter and defended him as such. Heck, I even tricked myself that Rex was a good hire, even though deep down I hated the hire.

I think there is less racism than those who claim racism, and more racism than those who claim there is none.

THIS. Smart, insightful, etc.  Just THIS

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I'm still not convinced    :ph34r:

You were an EJ guy and making my point.

17 minutes ago, Rico said:

Yep. Nothing but love for TT here, with special thanks for helping to end the drought. :thumbsup:

It’s amazing the guy says “I have nothing but love for Buffalo” and that set some people here OFF!! It’s crazy. He was a decent QB that helped the team and moved on when it was time. No one should have issues but some do...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I wasn't going to post because everyone has already dug their heels in on this issue but I'm a card carrying member of the COT so here I am.

Tyrod won a competition and was given an opportunity in Buffalo- fact

Tyrod was the best qb we have had in a long time - opinion but man he has to be at least top 3 since Kelly

Tyrod was the QB of the team that broke the drought - fact

QB is the most important position on a football team - fact

Somehow Tyrod gets no credit though for leading the Bills to the playoffs.  Somehow it was in spite of him.  Tyrod was given a shot to start by the team because he earned it.  Tyrod was traded because, after 3 years, the team thought they had seen enough and that they wanted to go in a different direction.  He should be loved in Buffalo for breaking that drought.  

Black QBs ARE judged harsher than their white counterparts I provide example number 1 of Joe Flacco.  Mr. Elite.  Tyrod outperformed him while they were both starters.  Flacco though won a super bowl on a stacked team.  Same thing everyone said Tyrod would need to win one.  I use Joe Flacco because he was just benched for a black qb.  You know the one that Bill Polian said should be a wr.  The same one that went 6-1 as a starter while Joe had led the team to 4-5 record and talks of Harbaugh being let go.

Example 2 is Rush Limbaugh's comments on Donovan McNabb. 

Donovan McNabb has been to three straight Pro Bowls and two consecutive NFC championship games, and was runner-up for NFL MVP in his first full season as a starter.  Still, commentator Rush Limbaugh saw fit to question the quarterback's credentials.  Before McNabb led the Philadelphia Eagles to a 23-13 victory over the Buffalo Bills, Limbaugh said on ESPN's "Sunday NFL Countdown" that McNabb is overrated. However, Limbaugh injected his comment with racial overtones that have set off a controversy. "Sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go," Limbaugh said. "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

Lastly, @Gugny you seem to think that Tyrod's comments were made to all people.  They weren't.  Tell me that Buffalo NY is completely racism free.  Tell me the USA is free from racism.  If you can't than you are admitting that there are people that judge him more harshly because he is black.  He didn't say the Bills did.  He didn't say any of the coaches did.  This thread is literally about how much love he has for Buffalo however you made it about him being racist.  Should we all now hate you for making Tyrod's Buffal stint all about race?

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Its not about racial motivation but rather racial bias.  It is about what happens at the unconscious level.  To bring this all full circle, that is what TT was alluding to in the first place, the fact that black athletes are judged more harshly.  

P.S. dont take this as an attack.  I also don't think they were racially motivated choices, and I actually think they were the right choices.  But that doesn't mean there isn't a possibility that as a fan base we were too hard on him due to unconscious bias. 

i see this argument a lot around here and it is just plain stupid. it doesn't appear that you have any idea of the reality that exists in the NFL today? the reality is that, by far, black athletes dominate the make up. currently black athletes make up approximately 70% of the league. if they were, judged more harshly' it would seem to reason that they wouldn't dominate the rosters.

teams want to win, period. it doesn't matter if your black, white, yellow, purple or pink. if your better than the guy behind you, you play. plain and simple. people pushing the narrative that blacks are discriminated against in sports do more harm to blacks than anything else. leave the small crap at the curb.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, section122 said:

Lastly, @Gugny you seem to think that Tyrod's comments were made to all people.  They weren't.  Tell me that Buffalo NY is completely racism free.  Tell me the USA is free from racism.  If you can't than you are admitting that there are people that judge him more harshly because he is black.  He didn't say the Bills did.  He didn't say any of the coaches did.  This thread is literally about how much love he has for Buffalo however you made it about him being racist.  Should we all now hate you for making Tyrod's Buffal stint all about race?

I never accused Tyrod Taylor of being a racist.  I accused him of pulling the race card - which he did.

He was given a starting position that he never had to compete for.  He kept said starting position for three seasons while performing at a subpar level.  I don't want to hear about statistics and I certainly don't want to hear about Pro Bowls.  Anyone who watched the games in which he was our QB had to see that he simply was not very good.

He did not get benched, "for Peterman."  He got benched because his play was atrocious.  It happens.

I didn't make this thread into anything.  Someone opined that he's a "great guy," and I opined otherwise.

Lastly, this country is, indeed, filled with bigotry, hatred and racism.  How anyone can gather that I don't see that is beyond me.  I'm sure there are people who disliked Tyrod because he is black; and those people dislike anyone who is black.

I'm simply stating that I don't believe that his - or anyone else's - performance on the field is based on skin color.  All quarterbacks are judged.  It's the most important position in sports.

Tyrod's performance was not good.  Many people saw that and expressed that.  There is nothing unfair, or racist, about it.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i see this argument a lot around here and it is just plain stupid. it doesn't appear that you have any idea of the reality that exists in the NFL today? the reality is that, by far, black athletes dominate the make up. currently black athletes make up approximately 70% of the league. if they were, judged more harshly' it would seem to reason that they wouldn't dominate the rosters.

teams want to win, period. it doesn't matter if your black, white, yellow, purple or pink. if your better than the guy behind you, you play. plain and simple. people pushing the narrative that blacks are discriminated against in sports do more harm to blacks than anything else. leave the small crap at the curb.

This kind of stuff doesn't advance the argument and really only causes the discussion to dissolve.  

While you are right that most athletes are black, you have to contextualize how the judgments are being made. In this context we are talking about QBs.  That is a position that has traditionally been held by white athletes.  So while black people are the majority in the NFL as a whole, they are the minority at that position.  Thus, they are judged more harshly. 

There are other applications, but you get the basic point. 

First let me say TT had every right to voice his feelings and to some limited extend they are true. Black qbs are more scrutinized and criticized for past stereotypes. Tyrod is a good guy and a good, but not great qb. Benching him for Peterman should forever haunt McD. But as we saw in Jacksonville,  he was never going to lead us deep in the playoffs. He was always way too safe and it reflected in his inconsistency. Would've liked to see him have more fire on the sidelines like we see from Josh.  I don't agree with all the extreme vitriol from Gugny but some of what he says has a little merit. Tyrods' legacy will be that of a guy who helped the community and fans forget about being "out of the playoffs" for one year.  And we needed that.

37 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s amazing the guy says “I have nothing but love for Buffalo” and that set some people here OFF!! It’s crazy. He was a decent QB that helped the team and moved on when it was time. No one should have issues but some do...

Kirby, I think you are still blinded and didn't see the "joke" 

that's what this was meant for.   :ph34r:  

Had the Bills kept EJ we would we have ever seen Nate Peterman?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Lastly, this country is, indeed, filled with bigotry, hatred and racism.  How anyone can gather that I don't see that is beyond me.  I'm sure there are people who disliked Tyrod because he is black; and those people dislike anyone who is black.

I'm simply stating that I don't believe that his - or anyone else's - performance on the field is based on skin color.  All quarterbacks are judged.  It's the most important position in sports.

I'm sorry I'm trying but I just don't understand how you can type these 2 paragraphs back to back.

For YOU sure YOU didn't judge him on his color and just plain old thought he sucked.  That doesn't mean it doesn't and didn't happen from other people.  See the McNabb issue from Limbaugh.  

3 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

He was asked specifically about whether he felt race impacted the way people perceived his performance as a QB while the team was still winning. He was benched weeks later, and some select members of the media applied his previous comments as his reaction to the benching erroneously. Those who disliked him obviously read those statements and ran with them, also erroneously.

Thems the facts, jack.

You mean took something out of context to fit their personal views?  I don't buy that.

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Every QB fight becomes more about the fighters than the QB. I don’t even remember EJ anymore but BillsFan4Ever is eternal.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, section122 said:

I'm sorry I'm trying but I just don't understand how you can type these 2 paragraphs back to back.

For YOU sure YOU didn't judge him on his color and just plain old thought he sucked.  That doesn't mean it doesn't and didn't happen from other people.  See the McNabb issue from Limbaugh.  

I don't think anyone (no sane, normal person) expects a quarterback to be better because he's black.

But I do think that every black quarterback has people who hate them because they're black.

Have you ever heard someone say, "well, he's black, so I expect him to be better." ??

This is what pissed me off about his comments.  He was saying that people think he and other black QBs should be better because they're black.  That is absolutely stupid to me.  And it unnecessarily injects race into a conversation about the ability to play QB in the NFL.

37 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I could be wrong, but I think the argument only pertains to the QB position.