The AAF Thread

23 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The players are employees of the team, not the NFLPA.  If if they wanted son of their members to go to the AAF (clearly they do not), they can no more dictate where players play than any union can tell which assembly plant they have to go work at.

the AAF players have their medical insurance covered by their league. 

The AAF has nothing to offer the NFL, except a money pit for NFL owner dollars to be tossed into.  Obviously they will watch yet another pro league come and go.

The market has AGAIN spoken on the issue of non-NFL leagues.  They are doomed for lack of interest.  A football crazed nation has decided this is one type of football it won’t watch.

I'm aware of who they are employees of but they have a collectively bargained labor agreement that, amongst other things, dictates working rules.  Nothing in the current CBA provides for players to be loaned, by their club, to another league.

I'm also aware the the AAF has it's own medical for it's own players.  What about a player on loan who has an NFL contract?  Does the player still have access to his NFL team's doctors in case of injury?  Does that insurance carry over or do they then have AAF coverage and doctors?  Are those things the same?  if not, again, why would the NFLPA agree to this change to the CBA?

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

I'm aware of who they are employees of but they have a collectively bargained labor agreement that, amongst other things, dictates working rules.  Nothing in the current CBA provides for players to be loaned, by their club, to another league.

I'm also aware the the AAF has it's own medical for it's own players.  What about a player on loan who has an NFL contract?  Does the player still have access to his NFL team's doctors in case of injury?  Does that insurance carry over or do they then have AAF coverage and doctors?  Are those things the same?  if not, again, why would the NFLPA agree to this change to the CBA?

It gets even more complicated when you consider the potential liability the NFL could bring in itself if it's tied to the AAF for injuries incurred there. If you've watched some games you might have seen some wicked hits like that helmet-flying sack on a QB in week 1.

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It gets even more complicated when you consider the potential liability the NFL could bring in itself if it's tied to the AAF for injuries incurred there. If you've watched some games you might have seen some wicked hits like that helmet-flying sack on a QB in week 1.

Exactly. There are a LOT of issues in play and I think the AAF was a little presumptuous regarding everyone else's buy in.  Their goal was clearly to be first to market but getting into the market with an unsustainable business plan is a recipe for big losses and ultimate disaster. I think they talked themselves into this belief that the NFL and the players would hurriedly jump on board with some of the NFL name cache they threw around. 

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Fun while it lasted. Hopefully the new XFL in 2020 will do better.

XFL will last at least one year- Vince will ensure that but the long range viability will depend on better tv situation which i doubt he can much better.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There must be more to this story.

I doubt it.  It was far fetched and doomed because of that from the moment it was launched. Anyone who paid any attention at all could have seen this coming.

No real interest from the NFL.

No TV contract (it’s rumored they paid for their telecasts.

The usual D list rosters.

Little local appeal for the chosen cities.

All teams owned by the league.

A real shocker