What's the coldest and hottest temps you've ever encountered?

May through September in good 'ol Hotlanta is plenty warm and toasty for my taste--anytime traveling back from a Northeast visit, coming off the plane is like an instant choking wet blanket of humidly hot air that is so noticeable I'll basically start sweating right away...not a pretty pic. High 90's with that makes it not worth going outside before sunset, imho. 

On the colder side, prob some January nights growing up in western PA with neg wind chill while shoveling snow off our ridiculously long, steep driveway. Magically as soon as I left home for good, a snow blower appeared to take my place, lol.

Quite a pill to choose between which is worse, OP!  

Nipple hardening, shrinkage cold -40 on top Wildcat Mountain, they let us up to the top had to turn the heat on b.c the top was actually closed b.c of the winds on top of that. They let us up to take photos though. Also butt sweating hot I think it was 120 in Death Valley when we visited.

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

-70 in Fairbanks, Alaska.  Actually, I think the lowest was like -68, but I just tell people -70 because it sounds cooler.  The thing about the cold in Fairbanks is that we would have 2-3 week where the high temperatures would not eclipse -50.  That sucked.

The hottest temps I ever experienced were in Las Vegas two summers ago in July.  The wife and I got an all expenses paid trip through her employer so that she could attend some training.  It was ranging between 120-125 degrees for a couple days.  Dry heat my ass!  That was unbearable, and I don't know how people live there.  

Well, I got nothin’ that can top either of those.  

I don’t think anyone does, unless they’ve been to Antarctica and the Sahara!

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Heat to me is heat.  The dry heat in AZ was hard to deal with just like the humid heat in the east.  It just a different type of stress.

I worked construction in Hilton Head, SC one summer during college. It was over 100 every day for 3 straight weeks. People were passing out and falling off rooftops in the hot, humid weather. 

We went from FL to Vegas and the dry heat choked me! It was like opening the oven to check in the Thanksgiving Day turkey! A hot dry blast in the face! I found myself holding my breath walking down the sidewalk until I got to the next hotel mister. Took the copter ride into the Grand Canyon and the pilot said the humidity had increased from like an average of 4% to 6% because of the pools and golf courses. WHAT??? I was used to 60-100% 

My wife had to leave the pool around 9:00am before temps crossed 110 degrees. No idea how hot it actually got. Brutal, and I like it hot. We’ve been back since, but not in the middle of summer. 

Both in Rochester ...

High 99 - I was hoping for 100 but not to be ... busted a tie rod on my 86 Thunderbird and sat around in a garage for a few hours.

Low -22 ... At least that's what the weatherman said it got down to, which was the time we were actually outside at midnight. It was kind or Eerie. It was clear enough to see the stars but these small ice crystals were falling. The sky also had a purple tint to it. It was also very calm.

Coldest with wind chill was somewhere between 60 and 80 below at Stowe in Vermont. It was zero at the bottom of the mountain and the wind was blowing about 50MPH ... The gondolas were closed because of the wind so only chair lifts were going and only halfway up the mountain. A worker there told me it was -100 wind chill up top and where we were halfway up it was -60 to - 80 depending on gusts. One run every couple hours was it that day.

June 27 1994: 117F where I was, at a lake 30 miles north of Tulsa. Record high for the state was set that day at 120F in SE Oklahoma.

Feb 10 2011: -27F at my house in the southern Tulsa suburb of Jenks. Record low for the state was set that day at -31F just north of us in Nowata. Nowata was the coldest place on the planet that day.

I fact checked myself because this sounds unbelievable, but Oklahoma, no doubt has the most extreme weather differential in the US, if not the world. Floods, droughts, tornados and blizzards are all typical Okie weather, and I love it!!!!

Show me another location with a 151 degree high/low temperature differential.

New:

I can't find any reports to substantiate, but three or four years ago in the month of July, it was reported (as I remember it) Oklahoma set a national record for the highest daily high/low average for the entire month at some temp in the low 90s. That is high plus low divided by two, then averaged for the month. I remember very high humidity that month too.

I am thankful for my swimming pool and big shade trees!

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

13 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I went to Vegas multiple times a year when I lived in LA.

I would eat and drink all day long but would lose weight because of the constant walking in 100+ degree temps.

I lose about 10 lbs everytime i go to vegas. 

Hottest: 110 (vegas)

Coldest: -10 (buffalo)

7 hours ago, The Jerk said:

I remember touching down in Kuwait a little after midnight and it was already 108. By noon that day it got up to 140. 

6 degrees hotter than highest recorded temp, nice! 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

-30°F, Arrowhead of Minnesota, Lutsen Mountains... Near Thunder Bay, Ontario. Sunrise over L Superior skiing SouthEast w/my son... January 2016... This run:

It was so bad cold-wise... I covered my camera and goggles through the snow gun halfway through.  Would have been doomed at those temps getting pasted with snow.

Thnx for sharing that, I haven't skied in a few years now but skied about 100 days a year for around 10 years in Utah. First few years I would work on the overnight snowmaking crew for a free pass before the season started, then get laid off when the tourists got to town. We had a blast flying around on snowmobiles all night, sometimes in sub zero temps. I don't think I could do that now. Best part was you got to keep your season pass and then ski everyday and make bank tending bar and waiting tables at night. I really miss it sometimes. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Jerk said:

I remember touching down in Kuwait a little after midnight and it was already 108. By noon that day it got up to 140. 

Sorry. Hottest recorded temperature on Earth was 134 degrees in Death Valley 1913. I do believe it was really freaking hot where you were in Kuwait, not 140 though.

6 hours ago, Turk71 said:

record high temp in Kuwait was 129 in July 2016, second highest temp ever in eastern hemisphere.

There were a few days in my time in Saudi and Kuwait that hit the high one hundred teens. Blisteringly hot. That place is hell on earth, no wonder they're all so angry.

Coldest? A few years ago, it was like -15 around here. That was pretty darn cold.