Baltimore had 50 yards total offense going into the 4th quarter

4 hours ago, H2o said:

A faster, but lesser of a passer version of Tyrod. Lamar is young and may improve though. He has a lot of work to do. 

You know, here's the thing: Lamar was a far more effective passer in college running a far more pro-like passing attack than Tyrod.

I promise you, Tyrod never through more than 400 attempts for 3500 yds  at V Tech.  Not even close. 

Lamar is a rookie.  He doesn't know what the heck he's seeing or what he's supposed to be doing, like most rookies.  The Chargers took away what he's been able to do, and he laid an egg.  A big egg.

One of two things will happen: he'll learn, and improve, or he won't.  You're d*** straight, he's got a lot of work to do.  I think the Ravens knew that when they took him.

Before the draft, I wanted no part of either Jackson** or Allen.  Mayfield was my guy, with Rosen in second place.   I may have been wrong about Rosen (we'll see) and I like Allen a lot better than I thought I would, but he's got a lot of work to do too.  Anyone who doesn't think Allen would have laid an egg yesterday against that Chargers D is dreaming.   Maybe not quite as big an egg as Jackson laid, but chances are very high that the egg would still be on the field.   The Chargers wanted that win, very badly, and it showed.

**I did point out pre draft that the Tyrod-LJax comparisons were lazy and that Jackson was far more of a passer than he was being given credit for, and I suppose to the "hater or lover" crowd that would seem like love.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

This game gave me flashbacks to a poor version of Tyrod Circa the playoff game against Jacksonville. It was painful to watch Lamar until the Chargers let up. 

There is much hyperbole about how much of that offensive performance was on Tyrod.

That offense was totally overmatched by that defense.........the most talented in the NFL in some time.........yet Tyrod helped the Bills control the clock in the first half and even lead an 18 play drive!

There just wasn't much margin for error........the dink and dunk game requires execution....... and guys like KB and Deonte and O'Leary couldn't hang on to passes that really cost them with the gameplan they were trying to execute.  

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You know, here's the thing: Lamar was a far more effective passer in college running a far more pro-like passing attack than Tyrod.

I promise you, Tyrod never through more than 400 attempts for 3500 yds  at V Tech.  Not even close. 

Lamar is a rookie.  He doesn't know what the heck he's seeing or what he's supposed to be doing, like most rookies.  The Chargers took away what he's been able to do, and he laid an egg.  A big egg.

One of two things will happen: he'll learn, and improve, or he won't.  You're d*** straight, he's got a lot of work to do.  I think the Ravens knew that when they took him.

Before the draft, I wanted no part of either Jackson or Allen.  Mayfield was my guy, with Rosen in second place.   I may have been wrong about Rosen (we'll see) and I like Allen a lot better than I thought I would, but he's got a lot of work to do too.  Anyone who doesn't think Allen would have laid an egg yesterday against that Chargers D is dreaming.   Maybe not quite as big an egg as Jackson laid, but chances are very high that the egg would still be on the field.   The Chargers wanted that win, very badly, and it showed.

I honestly don't think Allen would've laid an egg. He's been progressing nicely all year. What's funny to me is listening to people talk about Jackson's running ability. Allen had a much higher YPC than Jackson. Would've had a lot more yards than Jackson IF we were running the type of offense the Ravens were. But Allen is a real QB and he is a definite threat from the pocket. Jackson is not the one with the most yards rushing by a QB over a 3 game span. Allen is. I'm not saying the Bills would've won the game but I certainly don't agree with Allen laying an egg. He isn't a one dimensional player.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is much hyperbole about how much of that offensive performance was on Tyrod.

That offense was totally overmatched by that defense.........the most talented in the NFL in some time.........yet Tyrod helped the Bills control the clock in the first half and even lead an 18 play drive!

There just wasn't much margin for error........the dink and dunk game requires execution....... and guys like KB and Deonte and O'Leary couldn't hang on to passes that really cost them with the gameplan they were trying to execute.  

I think the weather for that game, specifically the wind, was also an under-appreciated factor.  It was making passing challenging.  It may be one reason that Buffalo put an extra check mark against "strong arm" on their pre-draft QB shopping list.  Point: Bortles managed to pass for only 75 yards, against a Bills D that was repeatedly (and correctly) ID'd by announcers as "selling out to stop the run".

One might attribute that to "oh, Bortles sucks, he can't pass", except that Bortles passed for 214 yds against the Steelers next week and 273 yds against the Pats in the AFC Champ.

And he looked pretty good doing it, too. 

The most significant offense Jax managed in that game was Bortles rushing - he had more than half of Jax rushing yards, 88 of 155 yds.  The Bills either couldn't or wouldn't adjust to stop him.

3 minutes ago, Luka said:

I honestly don't think Allen would've laid an egg. He's been progressing nicely all year. What's funny to me is listening to people talk about Jackson's running ability. Allen had a much higher YPC than Jackson. Would've had a lot more yards than Jackson IF we were running the type of offense the Ravens were. But Allen is a real QB and he is a definite threat from the pocket. Jackson is not the one with the most yards rushing by a QB over a 3 game span. Allen is. I'm not saying the Bills would've won the game but I certainly don't agree with Allen laying an egg. He isn't a one dimensional player.

I didn't say that Allen was a one-dimensional player, and I agree he's progressing.  But he's not there yet, and his threat from the pocket is limited by both the OL and the WR, as well as the lack of a real run threat not generated by his own legs.  Nicely put, JA may not be a one-dimensional player but we are effectively a one-dimensional offense, and that dimension is named "Josh Allen".

Allen is a rookie QB, and he doesn't know what he's seeing or where to go with the ball much of the time, especially against disguised coverages.  Go look at the film of the first Chargers game and of the previous week's NE game if you want to see what it would have looked like. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, MJS said:

His pro day was also horrific. Plus he had all that weird stuff with teams not being able to contact him and his mom as his agent. I wanted nothing to do with him.

That's a red flag - especially regarding the wonderlic score.  Agent's know what will get you drafted - and a higher wonderlic score is one of those things as a QB.  They'll help you practice, hire you tutors - whatever.  It's all included in the umbrella of the services that they provide.  They also help you secure advertising deals, etc.  Reputable agents (strong emphasis on reputable...) can also put you in touch with wealth management professionals to help with long term planning.

If I were his agent and that's how he did on the practices - might have figured out a way to just... not take the test ?

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

and despite that, STILL left the field with a lead.

People bring this up from time to time about how Johnson left the field with a lead..  Lets review the game.  He was terrible the entire game.  The Bills scored 2 TDs and 1 field goal.

TD#1 Johnson accounted for 6 yards passing.  The running backs did all the work on this drive.

TD#2 Johnson accounted for 38 yards passing.  This drive was kept alive by a roughing the passer penalty.  Without it the TD would have never happened.

FG Johnson accounted for 23 yards passing.

Color me not impressed by Johnsons game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Scott7975 said:

People bring this up from time to time about how Johnson left the field with a lead..  Lets review the game.  He was terrible the entire game.  The Bills scored 2 TDs and 1 field goal.

TD#1 Johnson accounted for 6 yards passing.  The running backs did all the work on this drive.

TD#2 Johnson accounted for 38 yards passing.  This drive was kept alive by a roughing the passer penalty.  Without it the TD would have never happened.

FG Johnson accounted for 23 yards passing.

Color me not impressed by Johnsons game.

He did enough against arguably the best defense in the league, ON THE ROAD, to win.

That's indisputable, whether or not you are impressed.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I couldn't even imagine being a Ravens fan watching that shitshow go down.

The Ravens hadn't been to the playoffs since 2014. They started the season 3-5 with Flacco(The win against Peterman doesn't count.)

I'm sure they were disappointed by and large in Jackson's performance, but they probably don't even make the playoffs without him. For the record, he finished the day with a 78.8 passer rating and 56 yards rushing. They were one possession away from what would have been a historic comeback.

He's still a rookie and all rookies improve, correct? Let's hope so.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the weather for that game, specifically the wind, was also an under-appreciated factor.  It was making passing challenging.  It may be one reason that Buffalo put an extra check mark against "strong arm" on their pre-draft QB shopping list.  Point: Bortles managed to pass for only 75 yards, against a Bills D that was repeatedly (and correctly) ID'd by announcers as "selling out to stop the run".

One might attribute that to "oh, Bortles sucks, he can't pass", except that Bortles passed for 214 yds against the Steelers next week and 273 yds against the Pats in the AFC Champ.

And he looked pretty good doing it, too. 

The most significant offense Jax managed in that game was Bortles rushing - he had more than half of Jax rushing yards, 88 of 155 yds.  The Bills either couldn't or wouldn't adjust to stop him.

I didn't say that Allen was a one-dimensional player, and I agree he's progressing.  But he's not there yet, and his threat from the pocket is limited by both the OL and the WR, as well as the lack of a real run threat not generated by his own legs.  Nicely put, JA may not be a one-dimensional player but we are effectively a one-dimensional offense, and that dimension is named "Josh Allen".

Allen is a rookie QB, and he doesn't know what he's seeing or where to go with the ball much of the time, especially against disguised coverages.  Go look at the film of the first Chargers game and of the previous week's NE game if you want to see what it would have looked like. 

In his first start (ever), against the Chargers, he outplayed Jackson by a wide margin. I don't see how the Bills defense completely laying an egg in the first half of that game falls on Allen. I mean you can have your biases I guess, but all you really have is a first NFL start and a game against the Pats (who aren't the Chargers) as "proof" he would've played poorly. All I saw was a kid who the week before, scored 5 TDs and avenged a loss from earlier in the season against a division rival. I haven't seen Jackson do anything like that and so far the only rookie QB that's better than Allen is Mayfield.

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

The Ravens hadn't been to the playoffs since 2014. They started the season 3-5 with Flacco(The win against Peterman doesn't count.)

I'm sure they were disappointed by and large in Jackson's performance, but they probably don't even make the playoffs without him. For the record, he finished the day with a 78.8 passer rating and 56 yards rushing. They were one possession away from what would have been a historic comeback.

He's still a rookie and all rookies improve, correct? Let's hope so.

It was garbage time when he got those stats and he was a garbage QB for 99% of the game.  Rookie, or not.  He was putrid and those fans should be livid.

8 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

He did enough against arguably the best defense in the league, ON THE ROAD, to win.

That's indisputable, whether or not you are impressed.

You mean his team did enough.  Rob had little to do with it.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Did you want to give Flutie another crack at the playoffs? The same guy who fumbled away the previous season at the goal line against a Dolphins team that got curb stomped the following week by 50 POINTS! RJ left the field after what should have been a game winning drive against a team that came within inches of a SB victory.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

What I wanna know is, where are all the geniuses around here who said Jackson looks better than Allen?

They need some accountability. :lol:

That guy looked REALLY bad. Like worse than Peterman or EJ Manuel bad.

You mean like something like 82 yards and 1 int bad?  Because that was Allen against the Titans this year.

yup, he sucked yesterday.  But he played better than any other rookie qb in the playoffs.  Now, like every other rookie, he needs to improve.  But that was great experience and as disappointing as it is, I’d love for Allen to have gotten that chance even if he played that bad.

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Interesting note.  Flacco averaged 274/gm before his injury.  Lamar played with the lead in every game and never trailed by more then one score.  Also 204 yards was his most passing yard (included a 68 yard td on a 25 yard pass).

Our qb only averaged 172 yards passing a game. 

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Did you want to give Flutie another crack at the playoffs? The same guy who fumbled away the previous season at the goal line against a Dolphins team that got curb stomped the following week by 50 POINTS! RJ left the field after what should have been a game winning drive against a team that came within inches of a SB victory.

Yes, but I really don't feel like getting into this argument again lol.  Rob completed a total of like 4 passes over those 3 scoring drives.  I say he did very little and we would have done better with Flutie.  I don't care what Flutie did the last time he was in the playoffs.

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But don't forget that Lamar is still better than Josh Allen because college completion pct. :lol:

Be careful how much fun you make of Lamar Jackson.

A lot of his problems are Josh Allen's problems and they are very similar types of quarterbacks. 

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yes, but I really don't feel like getting into this argument again lol.  Rob completed a total of like 4 passes over those 3 scoring drives.  I say he did very little and we would have done better with Flutie.  I don't care what Flutie did the last time he was in the playoffs.

Fair enough. Was never a big Flutie believer, but I think this particular debate has been dealt with pretty extensively.?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

No Rob was the reason the Bills weren't up 14+ and the game over well before the kick.  

The defense played as good a game as any in the last 20 years.  McNair did almost nothing that game.  Unfortunately Rob kept on giving them the ball back.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, eball said:

Seriously.  You've got a guy who won you a Super Bowl -- who lost his job (mostly) because of injury -- sitting on the sideline completely healthy while your gimmicky offense is being pummeled and the game is still within reach.

The only time Flacco plays well is in the playoffs. He turns into an elite QB in the postseason, so he should have absolutely played.