Baltimore had 50 yards total offense going into the 4th quarter

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401038955

Not fair to blame Lamar, but they were atrocious (and can see how to defend Lamar Jackson).  

Watching Lamar it is apparent he needs a lot of work throwing the ball and will be interesting to see if he improves there.  Right now I think his mechanics and skill is way behind JA. 

All of a sudden getting flashbacks to Rob Johnson vs. Tennessee.....

12 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Not fair to blame Lamar, but they were atrocious (and can see how to defend Lamar Jackson).  

Watching Lamar it is apparent he needs a lot of work throwing the ball and will be interesting to see if he improves there.  Right now I think his mechanics and skill is way behind JA. 

This game gave me flashbacks to a poor version of Tyrod Circa the playoff game against Jacksonville. It was painful to watch Lamar until the Chargers let up. 

5 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I like Lamar Jackson a lot and I want him to do well but it was kinda great seeing him flop like that yesterday after hearing the media praise him the last 6 weeks and trash Josh Allen. Folks making excuses for a QB who had -2 passing yards at one point deep in the game. LOL!

-3 late in the third quarter I believe, it was pitiful. 

Edited by Bills2ref

15 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I like Lamar Jackson a lot and I want him to do well but it was kinda great seeing him flop like that yesterday after hearing the media praise him the last 6 weeks and trash Josh Allen. Folks making excuses for a QB who had -2 passing yards at one point deep in the game. LOL!

"he only had 9 pass attempts in the first 3 quarters" - because he was sacked 5 times and fumbled twice.  That would make 14 pass plays.  

He also missed converting on some short 3rd downs in the first 3 quarters.  And the first drive of the 4th quarter - the MUST have if you want to have a shot at not needing tons of onside kicks.  3 pass plays called, -9 yards.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Lamar will need to throw in the pocket consistently if he wants to be a good franchise QB.

There is way too much running/scrambling going on

A faster, but lesser of a passer version of Tyrod. Lamar is young and may improve though. He has a lot of work to do. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Lamar will need to throw in the pocket consistently if he wants to be a good franchise QB.

There is way too much running/scrambling going on

Well they got by using his legs less for scrambling but for designed runs.  Once that was taken away he struggled.  The nasty pass rush of LA didn't help matters.

Harbaugh and Baltimore screwed up on this decision. 

Could they have won with Flacco? Don't know but Joe has been through and won tough games in the playoffs before. 

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Flacco asks and is traded this off season. 

That leaves Jackson and ??? as QBs next year. Not good going forward IMO. Didn't think Harbaugh would make that poor of a decision, oh well he can lay in that bed now, cause Jackson isn't the answer. 

• Like (+1) 1

Unless a QB can function as a pocket passer, it does not matter how great of a runner he is. You still have to be a QB.

We'll see how Jackson and Allen develop. My money is on Allen because I think he can function in the pocket more.

• Like (+1) 3

Lamar should be a decent qb option for 3-4 years because of his dynamic running ability (best I’ve ever seen from a qb). But he is a very limited passer and I don’t see him having much success beyond the first few years. 

Stage 1: Jackson has great initial success as defenses have never seen a quarterback with such dynamic running ability. At the outset, teams are taken off guard. 

1. Stage 2: Defenses will (as was the case this week) develop a game plan to defend him. Defensive coordinators always come up with a plan to limit a player now it will be up to Jackson to come up with a counter. Even though he will be limited by schemes, he is still a threat and not all defenses will be equipped or disciplined enough to stop him. If Baltimore continues to play great defense, they can still be a hard team to deal with. The player will have success against some teams and be limited by others who are equipped and disciplined enough.  

Stage 3: Running 25 times a game will begin to take its toll on his body. It happens to all players and once he starts to get banged up there will be pressure to change his style of play to become more of a pocket passer (the pressure to change will come from team executives, coaches, fans, family or Jackson himself). Once the player begins to see the expiration date on continuing to act as a runner the enivitable process toward becoming a pocket passsr begins. 

Stage 4: This is where the player typically takes a step back because they are no longer running as much and they are trying to play the position differently. Jackson’s passing skills seem rudimentary. If we were to force all qbs to stand in the pocket and outlaw any running or escaping the pocket, he would be near the bottom as far as pure pocket passing. Fortunately, for Jackson and players with similar skill sets he will still have escapabilty and make plays off scrambles even though he is not running many if at all designed runs. 

Stage 5 is Crossroads: player either develops as a passer and continues on with NFL career or player struggles with pocket passing and reverts back to trying to be more of a runner in order to maximize their value to the team. This likely won’t end well because player is usually less dynamic and injuries become more likely. Once injuries or poor play begin to be the norm the team decides to move on to a different option. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

Unless a QB can function as a pocket passer, it does not matter how great of a runner he is. You still have to be a QB.

We'll see how Jackson and Allen develop. My money is on Allen because I think he can function in the pocket more.

Last night was what people mean when they say "teams will figure it out in year two" 

The same is not true of Allen (as much).  Allen's runs are on scrambles.  They aren't a scheme trick to be figured out.  On top of that, he is a much better passer.  In five years, Jackson will be a complete after thought (I think, that is as strong a prediction as I've ever made)

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Why not?  He was Peterman-bad.

I've never seen a coach try to lose a playoff game like Harbaugh did yesterday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, pop gun said:

Harbaugh and Baltimore screwed up on this decision. 

Could they have won with Flacco? Don't know but Joe has been through and won tough games in the playoffs before. 

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Flacco asks and is traded this off season. 

That leaves Jackson and ??? as QBs next year. Not good going forward IMO. Didn't think Harbaugh would make that poor of a decision, oh well he can lay in that bed now, cause Jackson isn't the answer. 

Harbaugh was in a tough spot.  You can argue that there's no way that Baltimore goes on a 6-1 finishing run with Flacco and thus miss the playoffs.  But Flacco does has a flair for turning it on in January.

34 minutes ago, H2o said:

A faster, but lesser of a passer version of Tyrod. Lamar is young and may improve though. He has a lot of work to do. 

I always kind of thought that myself.

A lot of people seemed to get defensive with the comparison. Not too say they are exact, but they are both mobile QBs who run too much and have a hard time consistently throwing in the pocket.