Baltimore had 50 yards total offense going into the 4th quarter

Like Romo and Nantz said yesterday: Ground and pound is all good well until you face a team with a good defensive gameplan to stop you. And if you get down on the scoreboard and have to pass to catch up? God help you. Bills fans know because we lived through it for three seasons under Tyrod and Roman/Lynn/Dennison.

Speaking of "good defensive gameplan", the Chargers' played 7 defensive backs on all but one defensive play against the Ravens. This was after they had played 7 defensive backs on the least defensive snaps IN THE LEAGUE in 2018. The Ravens were not prepared, and the speed the Chargers had on the field defensively was the difference. The blueprint to beat Jackson's Ravens offense (assuming you have the defensive backs to make it work, that is) is now out there for all to see. We'll see if he can take his game to the next level.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Well they got by using his legs less for scrambling but for designed runs.  Once that was taken away he struggled.  The nasty pass rush of LA didn't help matters.

Ya I kind of had a feeling LA would shut him down.

I see a lot of defences doing that to him in the future unless he improves on his passing. As we know by having Tyrod for 3 years, defences can easily game plan against mobile QBs who struggle to throw in the pocket.

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Why not?  He was Peterman-bad.

I've never seen a coach try to lose a playoff game like Harbaugh did yesterday.

Well I'd say Wade vs. Tennessee as Rob Johnson was trotted out over & over, but am convinced Ralph Wilson made that call.

Was Lamar Peterman-bad?  That is a leap for me to make.

Baltimore's Defense was the only thing saving it from a blowout.  

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Well I'd say Wade vs. Tennessee as Rob Johnson was trotted out over & over, but am convinced Ralph Wilson made that call.

He had -2 passing yards for the game in the 3rd quarter.  He was definitely Peterman-bad.

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Rob Johnson left the field with a lead.

Lamar Jackson had NEGATIVE passing yards until the fourth quarter.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I see a lot of defences doing that to him in the future unless he improves on his passing. As we know by having Tyrod for 3 years, defences can easily game plan against mobile QBs who struggle to throw in the pocket.

Has to go over the top - has to stand tall in the pocket - has to take what they give him.  

In a situation like that if I'm calling the game i know its going to be lots of zone so i probably line up tight and overload on sideline routes.  Timing also has to be precise on the dig and hitch routes.  I'd also use 12 formations and try and run in heavy sets and use PA.  Passing is going to need to come from the pocket.  

We tried a lot of these things with Tyrod in these types of games and he always struggled with timing and hitting people as soon as they get open out of breaks.  He always seemed to throw the deep over's out of bounds too... in a quarters level's situation that route will be open a lot but if you're late you end up throwing your guy out of bounds.

It was negligent for Harbaugh not to bench Jackson for Flacco after the first series of the 3rd quarter.  I don't care what Jackson did in junk time against the Chargers' prevent D with his lucky throws -- he was garbage and I have no idea why Harbaugh is hitching his wagon to this guy.  Flacco had to be thinking "WTF" on the sideline; he can't wait to get out of there.

• Like (+1) 5

28 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Yep - when we had roman we ran a ton out of shotgun.  When you do that read-option makes it difficult to know what side you're running to, but if you load the box and have speed it doesn't matter as they can beat you to the outside.  If they take away the sidelines like that - you must use the middle of the field, and you must use more timing routes.  Tyrod sucked at both of these.  You also will probably want to run more from under center and use play action to create space.

1 minute ago, eball said:

It was negligent for Harbaugh not to bench Jackson for Flacco after the first series of the 3rd quarter.  I don't care what Jackson did in junk time against the Chargers' prevent D with his lucky throws -- he was garbage and I have no idea why Harbaugh is hitching his wagon to this guy.  Flacco had to be thinking "WTF" on the sideline; he can't wait to get out of there.

I thought for sure after the disaster series to start the 4th quarter.  

• Like (+1) 1

To me, it seems like maybe it was more than just a football decision to keep Jackson in (which is quite a stupid thing to do in the playoffs IMO). I think they probably didn’t want a QB controversy if Flacco had come in and played well. 

But its the playoffs. QB controversy be damned. Just give yourself the best chance to win the game and deal with all the rest when the time comes. 

If Flacco plays well, then great! You now boosted his trade value. 

The only other thing I can think of is that they wanted to get Jackson the experience for next year and beyond, even at the expense of winning the game... 

11 minutes ago, eball said:

I couldn't even imagine being a Ravens fan watching that shitshow go down.

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Last night was what people mean when they say "teams will figure it out in year two" 

The same is not true of Allen (as much).  Allen's runs are on scrambles.  They aren't a scheme trick to be figured out.  On top of that, he is a much better passer.  In five years, Jackson will be a complete after thought (I think, that is as strong a prediction as I've ever made)

Jackson was one guy I definitely didn't want in the draft. Seemed like Tyrod Taylor 2.0 to me.

Of course, I also didn't want Josh Allen, so what do I know?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I couldn't even imagine being a Ravens fan watching that shitshow go down.

Seriously.  You've got a guy who won you a Super Bowl -- who lost his job (mostly) because of injury -- sitting on the sideline completely healthy while your gimmicky offense is being pummeled and the game is still within reach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401038955

Not fair to blame Lamar, but they were atrocious (and can see how to defend Lamar Jackson).  

Watching Lamar it is apparent he needs a lot of work throwing the ball and will be interesting to see if he improves there.  Right now I think his mechanics and skill is way behind JA. 

All of a sudden getting flashbacks to Rob Johnson vs. Tennessee.....

Just goes to show you, can't hide the QB in the playoffs...

23 minutes ago, eball said:

That’s what I was thinking when I was watching yesterday. Your rookie QB Jackson hadn’t done anything and it’s now the 3rd quarter of a playoff game.

PUT IN FLACCO. I thought it might happen, but it didn’t. 

1 minute ago, eball said:

Seriously.  You've got a guy who won you a Super Bowl -- who lost his job (mostly) because of injury -- sitting on the sideline completely healthy while your gimmicky offense is being pummeled and the game is still within reach.

Flacco should have started the game.  Harbaugh should have realized that Jackson was not his best chance to win the game.  It was terrible.  And now he's stuck with Jackson.  He deserves it and I hope Flacco goes somewhere and kicks ass.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

To me, it seems like maybe it was more than just a football decision to keep Jackson in (which is quite a stupid thing to do in the playoffs IMO). I think they probably didn’t want a QB controversy if Flacco had come in and played well. 

But its the playoffs. QB controversy be damned. Just give yourself the best chance to win the game and deal with all the rest when the time comes. 

If Flacco plays well, then great! You now boosted his trade value. 

The only other thing I can think of is that they wanted to get Jackson the experience for next year and beyond, even at the expense of winning the game... 

If it was either of the two bolded statements, Harbaugh should be fired today.  And for the record, I don't think it was.  I think Harbaugh is just a stubborn SOB who was bound and determined to be "right" about keeping Jackson as the starter.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Flacco should have started the game.  Harbaugh should have realized that Jackson was not his best chance to win the game.  It was terrible.  And now he's stuck with Jackson.  He deserves it and I hope Flacco goes somewhere and kicks ass.

I don’t know if I totally agree with this. You could make a strong argument that Jackson led the Ravens to the playoffs. The AFC north was a tight division that came down to the last week of the season. You gotta roll with the hot hand, and Jackson was hot. 

I do think he should have been benched yesterday though. Jackson didn’t do anything in the first half. The game wasn’t out of reach at that point. That’s when you put in your vet who has a Super Bowl ring. 

Jackson has a lot of problems, not only is he a poor passer but he is a turn over machine. 

Seems like so many people are quick to call Allen trash but give Jackson a pass, sorry but he had more to work with as did Baker. 

Right now I don't think it's fair to compare these kids at all. Rosen had the worse OL to work with followed by Allen, where as Baker had the best talent around him and Darnold had a slight more than Rosen and Allen and Jackson was lucky to have that D in Baltimore.

If you look at each players first game and compared that to his last, I'd have to say Allen show the most improvement and I honestly think Baker's going to be summed up to his very last attempt vs Baltimore, he's too short and can't see over the line. Jackson is just like Tyrod. Darnold I'm not sure of and Rosen might end up being a healthy version of Bradford and Allen looks like he could be the best of the bunch. For the record I was very skeptical of Allen and was hoping for Darnold or Rosen to be the pick, but am very happy that I'm not the person making that decision. 

• Like (+1) 1