Nick Foles Contract

So I think it’s impossible he stays with Philly next year.  His salary will be $20M.  The Eagles can’t handle that.  To think they would trade him is logical.  They would presumably exercise his option before the trade.

But does Foles have a veto?  It looks to me as though he could get out of his contract, even after the Eagles pick up his option, by paying back last year’s bonus.  Anyone thinking about a trade for BDN had better be sure he’s a consenting partner and wants to go there.

From Overthecap:

Contract Notes

On April 20, 2018, Foles renegotiated his contract and signed a new two year contract worth up to $29 million in base salary.  The contract pays Foles a $2 million signing bonus in 2018, which represents a $2 million raise from his original contract. There are $14 million in additional incentives available. The 2019 season, which was a void year, is now an option year with a player void clause. The Eagles can opt into the contract, which carries a $20 million salary, by picking up the option a month before the start of the 2019 league year. The salary is guaranteed on the 3rd day of the league year. If the option is exercised Foles may still become a free agent by paying back the $2 million signing bonus he received in 2018 as part of this new contract to void the 2019 league year

Don’t be surprised if Wentz is the one shopped. Living in Philadelphia, the fans and the team are all behind Foles. They like Wentz, they love Foles. And honestly, their offense is on track more with Foles than with Wentz.

If they do decide to keep Wentz, I’m with you it’s unlikely they keep Foles...though Foles knows he is best with Pederson.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

My assumption would be that if he had a trade veto, such a detailed analysis of the contract notes would have included it.

Just now, LEBills said:

Don’t be surprised if Wentz is the one shopped. Living in Philadelphia, the fans and the team are all behind Foles. They like Wentz, they love Foles. And honestly, their offense is on track more with Foles than with Wentz.

If they do decide to keep Wentz, I’m with you it’s unlikely they keep Foles...though Foles knows he is best with Pederson.

Are you a betting man?

12 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Actually, Be surprised. 

4 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Can they afford the cap hit while they find a willing partner? I’m unfamiliar with NFL rules, can you be over the cap prior to the season starting? Foles cap hit will be over 23.8 million on a tag. 

They have to be under the cap sometime in early March.  Not sure of the logistics, but the Eagles strike me as a team who would find a way to make it work.

51 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Carson Wentz is getting the whispers of injury prone not even 25 and already broken vertebrae in his back and coming off an mcl/acl tear...Foles beats the Saints next week and you have a legitimate argument to keep Nick over Carson  

Remember when Brees was damaged goods? Thank the Miami doctors that he didn’t end up a Dolphin for the last 15 years!!! 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

Wentz is gonna be a great qb in this league for the next dozen years man.   He was the best qb in the NFL last year until his injury.

No way he gets dealt.   Zero chance.

• Like (+1) 1

If you just forget about what they're getting paid, and how they were acquired, who's the better QB? I think the answer is Foles. Obviously Wentz has more talent, but Foles is the one taking this team deep for the second year in a row. You might win less regular season games with him, but he's already won more SB's.

Edited by BullBuchanan