Nick Foles Contract

8 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Wentz is gonna be a great qb in this league for the next dozen years man.   He was the best qb in the NFL last year until his injury.

No way he gets dealt.   Zero chance.

If Foles beats Brees, I think you have to trade Wentz. Wentz has one good year to his name so far.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I think it’s impossible he stays with Philly next year.  His salary will be $20M.  The Eagles can’t handle that.  To think they would trade him is logical.  They would presumably exercise his option before the trade.

But does Foles have a veto?  It looks to me as though he could get out of his contract, even after the Eagles pick up his option, by paying back last year’s bonus.  Anyone thinking about a trade for BDN had better be sure he’s a consenting partner and wants to go there.

From Overthecap:

Contract Notes

On April 20, 2018, Foles renegotiated his contract and signed a new two year contract worth up to $29 million in base salary.  The contract pays Foles a $2 million signing bonus in 2018, which represents a $2 million raise from his original contract. There are $14 million in additional incentives available. The 2019 season, which was a void year, is now an option year with a player void clause. The Eagles can opt into the contract, which carries a $20 million salary, by picking up the option a month before the start of the 2019 league year. The salary is guaranteed on the 3rd day of the league year. If the option is exercised Foles may still become a free agent by paying back the $2 million signing bonus he received in 2018 as part of this new contract to void the 2019 league year

Who is BDN?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

True but as was said, you can't tag a guy under contract.

I was going with the assumption that his final year will be voided, then they'll tag & trade him.

If his final year isn't voided, then he's under contract & can be traded without any need for the tag.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

I was going with the assumption that his final year will be voided, then they'll tag & trade him.

If his final year isn't voided, then he's under contract & can be traded without any need for the tag.

No, doesn't work that way.  If he voids it, he's a FA.  The team can't do anything at that point.

20 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Carson Wentz is getting the whispers of injury prone not even 25 and already broken vertebrae in his back and coming off an mcl/acl tear...Foles beats the Saints next week and you have a legitimate argument to keep Nick over Carson  

Wentz = Romo

Edited by Circlethewagon8404

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

My assumption would be that if he had a trade veto, such a detailed analysis of the contract notes would have included it.

He may not have a trade veto per se.  But if he has the ability to pay back a bonus and void his contract, they can’t trade a player not under contract, right?

I’m sure we’ll be hearing more about this as the playoffs roll on.

15 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

As written by Overthecap, Foles voids the contract and becomes a FA, which would imply they can not tag and trade him.  

Of course, it is possible that Overthecap has some of the details incorrect or that their contract description was misleadingly written.

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

I just hope he does not end up in Miami

Depends upon who winds up coaching in Miami.  I think Foles is going to be miiiiighty particular about who is coaching him.

11 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Foles = Romo

How you figure that?  Foles has a SB ring and an NFC Championship.  I don’t think Romo ever made it to the Championship game.

Also, Wentz is the one with the cracked-up back

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As written by Overthecap, Foles voids the contract and becomes a FA, which would imply they can not tag and trade him.  

Of course, it is possible that Overthecap has some of the details incorrect or that their contract description was misleadingly written.

Between overthecap and Ian Rapoport, somebody's mistaken:

As far as the mechanism, the Eagles have options. They can tag Foles and trade him, as the Dolphins did with Jarvis Landry last year. They can also exercise his $20 million option, which would lead Foles to buy back his freedom for $2 million, which may lead Philly to tag him anyway. 

In the end, a tag may be the best option. Either way, while Foles is due a large pay increase after the way he's performed the past two seasons, it does seem the Eagles will be able to get paid on him, as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001008250/article/nick-foles-expected-to-be-in-demand-this-offseason

Just figure out which one will be a Dolphin next season.

And then hope it’s NOT a Brees/River like Scenario all over again.

Like Wentz shows up in Miami with some injuries that damage his rep/stock and then he pairs up with a Offensive Playcalling HC and they go on a two decade tear of AFC East. 

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar

3 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

Between overthecap and Ian Rapoport, somebody's mistaken:

As far as the mechanism, the Eagles have options. They can tag Foles and trade him, as the Dolphins did with Jarvis Landry last year. They can also exercise his $20 million option, which would lead Foles to buy back his freedom for $2 million, which may lead Philly to tag him anyway. 

In the end, a tag may be the best option. Either way, while Foles is due a large pay increase after the way he's performed the past two seasons, it does seem the Eagles will be able to get paid on him, as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001008250/article/nick-foles-expected-to-be-in-demand-this-offseason

Yes, that would appear to be the case.  Yet given Foles’ expressed feelings on the topic of where he plays - that he thought about retiring, that he decided to play for Andy Reid, that he was willing to play for a coach from the Reid tree such as Pederson - it seems unlikely that he would renegotiate his contract without putting in some sort of protection for himself.  

I mean, what would be the point of having a payback/void option, if he could just be tagged?  It would be pointless, right?

Eagles: “we have exercised our option and we are gonna trade you to the Arizona Cardinals”

Foles: “Ok, here’s $2M, I’m a free agent now”

Eagles: “We accept your $2M but HAHA!  TAG!  Now you’re not free once again, and we’re still gonna trade you to the Arizona Cardinals.  Or the Broncs.”

Foles would be $2M poorer, and still stuck with a situation he may not want.  What would be the point?

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, that would appear to be the case.  Yet given Foles’ expressed feelings on the topic of where he plays - that he thought about retiring, that he decided to play for Andy Reid, that he was willing to play for a coach from the Reid tree such as Pederson - it seems unlikely that he would renegotiate his contract without putting in some sort of protection for himself.  

I mean, what would be the point of having a payback/void option, if he could just be tagged?  It would be pointless, right?

Eagles: “we have exercised our option and we are gonna trade you to the Arizona Cardinals”

Eagles: “We accept your $2M but HAHA!  TAG!  Now you’re not free once again, and we’re still gonna trade you to the Arizona Cardinals.  Or the Broncs.”

Foles would be $2M poorer, and still stuck with a situation he may not want.  What would be the point?

No idea what the CBA says about this, but I wonder if you can only tag an "expiring" contract. Not a "voided" contract. 

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He wouldn't be $2M poorer; he'd be guaranteed $25M for the 2019 season instead of $20M.  If a team traded for him & he didn't want to be there, he'd be free to sign elsewhere in 2020 (unless his new team is allowed to tag him again, in which case he'd be banking another $30M+).  Foles & the Eagles seem to have a strong relationship, so I would think they'd work out an arrangement where he isn't playing for a crap team, but he also isn't facing the Eagles 2x a year for NJ or Washington.  

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

If Foles beats Brees, I think you have to trade Wentz. Wentz has one good year to his name so far.

I don’t know if that would do it, but if Foles somehow guides the Eagles to another SB win trading Wentz becomes viable. It sounds crazy, but PHL gave up a lot to draft him and could garner a much bigger return in a Wentz deal than one for Foles. Factor in the injuries and that Foles will only be 30 next season and it seems a lot less crazy. It would seem mind boggling, but why would you get rid of a two time Super Bowl winning QB at his thirtieth birthday ? That’s right, you wouldn’t. 

I agree Wentz is more apt to be traded then Foles leaving.  Team believes in Nick, and are much better with him, they respond to him.  Just look at last year, and this year since he’s back as starter.

I get how can you get rid of a player that cost so much to acquire.  Thing is, plenty of first rounders who cost the team extra never pan out.  At least with Wentz, you can get something in return.

7 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

My assumption would be that if he had a trade veto, such a detailed analysis of the contract notes would have included it.

Are you a betting man?

We had a preseason MVP in Peterman.  The seem to have a Late and Postseason guy in Foles.  He looked terrible early in the year when he filled in for Wentz.  Head scratcher.

5 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Just figure out which one will be a Dolphin next season.

And then hope it’s NOT a Brees/River like Scenario all over again.

Like Wentz shows up in Miami with some injuries that damage his rep/stock and then he pairs up with a Offensive Playcalling HC and they go on a two decade tear of AFC East. 

With a team that signed him after Miami declined lol.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Artem Lipatov said:

Foles proved he is clutch. He won SB! He outplayed Brady in SB!

Wentz will only have to prove it. And who knows ? He maybe choking in playoffs.

Foles most certainly did not outplay Brady in the Super Bowl.  Not even close.