Josh Allen---has your opinion changed on him since draft night?

Big Turk

I had him as my 2nd QB behind Mayfield, but I have to be honest when our pick came up I was hoping for Rosen even though I wasn’t a fan for no other reason than I wasn’t looking forward to all the bitching and moaning from people. After Allen was picked, I was excited but did my best to stay off Twitter and boards as much as possible through the summer until training camp started.

Now that the dust has settled on the first season, i’m As excited as ever to watch this kid grow into an NFL QB, and aside from a few stranded haters on Twitter, everyone else seems to be finally on board.

I am on record while eating an Earl Campbell sausage with my brother in the Jerry Dome parking lot pre-drsft saying "My night mare scenario is we trade up and take Josh Allen" which we indeed did.

Now I'm thinking he might be the guy.  All the running and stuff is fun, but you ain't gonna win a heck of a lot of games that way.  Still worried about his passing ability. Sure he can throw it a country mile, but we don't necessarily know where it's gonna come down.

I think he is a gamer and has good leadership which is HUGE.  We could play a similar style to Seattle with the scramble drill  plays etc and he can make some big plays.  Still concerned if he is a good enough passer to make it work.  He's got a lot of work to do.

So yes,it's changed.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

I had him as my 2nd QB behind Mayfield, but I have to be honest when our pick came up I was hoping for Rosen even though I wasn’t a fan for no other reason than I wasn’t looking forward to all the bitching and moaning from people. After Allen was picked, I was excited but did my best to stay off Twitter and boards as much as possible through the summer until training camp started.

Now that the dust has settled on the first season, i’m As excited as ever to watch this kid grow into an NFL QB, and aside from a few stranded haters on Twitter, everyone else seems to be finally on board.

I really hope will give Allen everything he needs to succeed , I know McDermott is a defensive coach and it’s important to have a good defense BUT ( IMO ) this free agency and the first half of the draft and trades  should all be about the offense WR , OL , TE and yes even a RB ,, 

13 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Do we not know what a franchise QB is? That is a guy who should be making multiple pro bowl trips and maybe 1-2 all pros. 

A franchise QB is simply one with which you can win a super bowl with him being a key part of the offense. He doesn't need to be THE reason, but it cannot be in spite of him.

Great examples of the above: Joe Flacco, Russell Wilson, Eli Manning 

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

A franchise QB is simply one with which you can win a super bowl with him being a key part of the offense. He doesn't need to be THE reason, but it cannot be in spite of him.

Great examples of the above: Joe Flacco, Russell Wilson, Eli Manning 

No, it’s a QB who is competent....

Super Bowl’s??!   What’s that got to do with 28 teams a year?!!!

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

No, it’s a QB who is competent....

Super Bowl’s??!   What’s that got to do with 28 teams a year?!!!

So, what does "competent" mean? That you CANNOT win a super bowl with him?

Because that's not competent.

If a QB is good enough to not hold the team back from winning a super bowl, then he's competent, a/k/a a franchise QB.

Because if he's not good enough to win a super bowl, then he ain't franchise baby.

Well, I guess I will finally throw my thoughts into this thread.  I didn't say anything before because I don't watch college ball and therefor had no thought of my own about the Allen pick.  

My thoughts at draft time was YEAH they went and got a QB.  I then went and read about what people said about Allen both from the media and here.  I expected the kid to suck hard and be the next EJ Manual.  Then the season got here and as far as throwing wise I was like he seems like he could be somebody but had a long way to go.  I also thought there was no talent around this kid making it look worse than it really was for him.

What I also saw was fire and passion from this kid.  I saw leadership and competitiveness from him too.  Something that I hadn't seen on this team from a QB in a long time.  Then I watched Allen grow and get better at some things each and every game.  Now mind you, I am just a fan and don't know the game of football like some of the amazing, smart posters around here, but I see what I see.  

What I see is a kid that played pretty damn well for a rookie QB with not much help around him.  The running game was abysmal.  The catching game was abysmal.  The oline was mostly abysmal.  I feel like if he had some of that help spoken about that he would have looked better than he did.  Yes, he did have problems of his own.  Mostly from what should be the easy stuff, but I think he can and will improve there.  He didn't light up the league like Mahomes or Watson.  He didn't even light it up like Baker Mayfield.  However, I think he can get there with the right coaching and some talent built around him.

I have a lot of hope and optimism for him going into next season.  I feel like this team itself is doing the things right for a change.  Previous regimes threw random big contract players at the team like they were 1 player away from the Superbowl, never caring about the QB position.  This regime went after their QB and now have the means to build around him this season.  Whether or not they will do a good job at it, I don't know.  Whether or not Allen will improve to be a franchise QB I don't know either... but to me the future is looking the best it has in a really long time.  This front office just need to make the right moves now.

• Like (+1) 3

On 1/2/2019 at 9:18 PM, Virgil said:

Yes, absolutely.  I still have him 3rd of the rookies, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.  

I think he has the potential to be 2nd if not up there for 1st.  

We get him a run game, tight end, and true #1 receiver, and I’ll be really curious.  

Without a doubt can make all the throws, (quick slants aside) has the toughness, downfield vision, and heart.  It’s a good start 

and a 100% consummate Teammate.

Love the posts saying, I didn't know anything about him at the time so I was pissed.  Basically saying, I looked at his stats and listened to the analysts and started yelling haha.  So was it really your opinion or someone else's opinion you just regurgitated without even watching the kid play? 

• Like (+1) 1