Arizona Cardinals: HC Steve Wilks fired (potential add to Bills staff?)

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I'm not saying he would, but it was a response to another poster that we should try to get him as OC if he wants to be an OC. 

I could see that but wonder if he would be one to land another HC job right away. I do think he will be fired. 

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So Arizona gave broken Sam $20 million, benched him for a rookie, fired the vet OC and replaced him with a guy who has never done it, and they are firing him?  Wow, they didn’t even give him a chance. 

I think it was a total miscalculation by the FO staff.  I do not think they felt there was a shot at one of the top 4 QBs - so they signed Bradford for 2 years and were sort of going to go for it.

They hired a rookie HC with a veteran OC and a familiar DC for the HC.  I think they felt the defense was good enough and getting a veteran QB to go with Johnson and FITZ - they had a chance to be competitive- especially if they got a playmaker in the early rounds.

The issue was when both QBs started to drop the entire mindset of the organization changed - now they have a rookie QB, a veteran QB that was not playing well and it switched to being all about the future.

Therefore if you have the young QB they are going to try and switch it up and no they never gave him a chance.  I think things would be totally different if they had not taken Rosen - because the Arizona defense was never the issue and they are going to totally change things up on an aging defense.

No McD doesn't need Steve Wilks-Booth on staff positioned behind him..............it's already set up just like when McD got fired in Philly......Juan Castillo will be the interim when Sean tells Pegs to fire him before the holidays if he's gonna' fire him.:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If Wilks is going to be more in lock step with what McDermott wants to do I am all for it. 

I have felt for a while now that Frazier is a bit more laid back than McD's approach and his forte does not seem to be "in game" management of the "D".

In that, I simply mean that it seems to take a while or discussion over half-time before he makes the adjustments that the D needs to make - sometimes the net effect is that our team is already in a hole by the time he figures out how to stop the other team from digging the hole any deeper.

Outside of that, he is a good team guy and usually his players play hard for him. Still not sure yesterday if I was seeing a defense mailing-it-in or simply put so off their game plan by their inability to stop the run that it made the whole effort seem ugly - granted they did get a few turnovers.

• Like (+1) 2

McBeane will be under pressure to win next year and with two regimes full of former McDermott buddies in danger of getting canned next week it wouldn't be surprising to see an influx of even more former Carolinians.

Ron Rivera......assistant HC

Wilks......DC

get Kalil to eschew retirement for a year and play center for the Bills

trade for Kuechly

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

What D scheme does Wilkes run?  We need to stop flipping it every 2 years

Wilks was the defensive backs coach under Sean McDermott in Carolina, so he is running the same stuff Coach McDermott does. One of the issues that Wilks had in Arizona was that all of their defensive talent was drafted to be in a 3-4. 

But yes Wilks will be a great fit here. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Don’t get the Frazier hate. Seems like a nice guy and is probably the most solid coach we have on the roster

..."hate" may be a bit over the top......I'd say it is more about his conservative style and as to whether he can consistently make crucial "in game" adjustments.....

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..."hate" may be a bit over the top......I'd say it is more about his conservative style and as to whether he can consistently make crucial "in game" adjustments.....

His defense is way too Dick Jauronish from time to time. But McDermott needs to do a better job of getting these guys to do what he wants. The bottom line is that Frazier works for him. 

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

His defense is way too Dick Jauronish from time to time. But McDermott needs to do a better job of getting these guys to do what he wants. The bottom line is that Frazier works for him. 

....certainly agree....at the same time, this is what bugs me about McDermott being a disciple of the legendary great DC Jim Johnson that we do not see................

..."Widely regarded as one of the best defensive coordinators in the National Football League (NFL), Johnson was especially known for being a master architect of blitzes, disguising them skillfully and keeping offenses constantly off balance..."