With Allen, I’m convinced he just needs more help

Bufflow4

If the Bills give him an offensive line and some playmakers, he will be a great player for a long time!

Sure, he has his inconsistent moments and often tries to do too much but he will learn from his mistakes. He is smart, an insane competitor, and has God given talents that could never be learned. He has definitely flashed the potential that got him drafted at 7.

Today and in past games, when given time in the pocket, he has been decisive and accurate. He was hitting receivers right in the hands while in stride only to have the ball fall incomplete through their hands. You watch other games around the league and see these receivers making ridiculous one handed catches with a defender draped all over them. 

Give Allen some stud hog mollies to provide him time and to open up the running game. Give him just one playmaker who can do some things beyond the “routine” of what’s expected. I have personally seen enough from Allen to be confident with him going forward and I was one who originally thought we took the wrong Josh. 

The draft is deep at OL and WR and there are some decent options in free agency. It is up to Beane and his scouts to provide Allen some help. Protect your QB and give him some confidence. Put some studs around him so he’s not all alone out there.

Edited by Bufflow4
  • Like (+1) 18

Just now, Bufflow4 said:

If the Bills give him an offensive line and some playmakers, he will be a great player for a long time!

Sure, he has his inconsistent moments and often tries to do too much but he will learn from his mistakes. He is smart, an insane competitor, and has God given talents that could never be learned. He has definitely flashed the potential that got him drafted at 7.

Today and in past games, when given time in the pocket, he has been decisive and accurate. He was hitting receivers right in the hands while in stride only to have the ball fall incomplete through their hands. You watch other games around the league and see these receivers making ridiculous one handed catches with a defender draped all over them. 

Give Allen some stud hog mollies to provide him time and to open up the running game. Give him just one playmaker who can do some things beyond the “routine” of what’s expected. I have personally seen enough from Allen to be confident with him going forward and I was one who originally thought we took the wrong Josh. 

The draft is deep at OL and WR and there are some decent options in free agency. It is up to Beane and his scouts to provide Allen some help. Protect your QB and give him some confidence. Put some studs around him so he’s not all alone out there.

Agreed

People give him crap too for not checking down more (which at times, I can understand). But it seems he is looking for a route to develop because if he can wait that 1-2 seconds its a big play. An example was shortly after announcers were talking about throwing the checkdown early, he had mccoy in the flat for 2 yards open - Allen turns looks right at him, then looks back down the field and that one more second he waited allowed I think Foster to cross into the soft spot of zones for a 20 yard gain. I think some of the times his lack of checkdowns because he knows he will have a guy open soon.

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

the check downs will come once O line improves  We have had enough check down masters and still could not move the football

100%.  I think its hilarious people getting on Allen for not checking the ball down more. Most of the time we are all yelling to stop always checking it down 

Today was a perfect demonstration that the main problem on our offense was a lack of players who could make plays.

Foster had a TD on a perfect bomb pass by Allen and he couldn't make the play.

Logan had a perfect behind the shoulder pass go through his hands.

Foster had another pass hit his fingers in the endzone.

And there were a couple other dropped passes.

Allen had a few bad passes and passes that I'm sure he will learn from but he is making good throws that should result in points that arent happening.

Next year when they address the offensive line get a couple more weapons and with Allen's second year progression, they will be competing for the division title.

• Like (+1) 5

The WRs stink, the RBs stink (how bad is the decision not to trade the carcass of McCoy looking now?) and the TE's are easily the worst group in the NFL.  Complete duds/bums/nobodies.

Yeah,  I'd say Allen could use some help on Offense.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 2

Agree for the most part but let’s stop putting blame at the doorstep of the Oline for everything.  Name me one NFL fanbase that is thrilled with their Oline.  It’s always the weak spot for everyone and by week #16 many starters are injured anyway.

The Jets fans think their Oline is horrible. But that doesn’t stop Darnold for throwing for 350 yds and 3 Tds 

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

I expect them to significantly upgrade the line and add more playmakers.

They will have 100m in cap space with 10 draft picks at their disposal.

The OL is one of the hardest things to build on a team.  They will need a lot of luck to go along with the money + picks to fix it completely in one offseason.  IMO, it will take 2-3 offseasons to build an OL.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The WRs stink, the RBs stink (how bad is the decision not to trade the carcass of McCoy looking now?) and the TE's are easily the worst group in the NFL.  Complete duds/bums/nobodies.

Yeah,  I'd say Allen could use some help on Offense.

Question:  Did Bills receive and decline offers?  I don’t remember hearing about any offers they declined, they were only asking for a 4th.  So not sure they “decided” not to trade him unless someone made an offer and they said no.  

There was lots of assumed speculation Eagles were interested, but I don’t remember any real evidence someone trying to trade for him.  

I could easily be wrong, just didn’t recall them saying they had offers and chose not to trade him.

Edited by Alphadawg7

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Agree for the most part but let’s stop putting blame at the doorstep of the Oline for everything.  Name me one NFL fanbase that is thrilled with their Oline.  It’s always the weak spot for everyone and by week #16 many starters are injured anyway.

The Jets fans think their Oline is horrible. But that doesn’t stop Darnold for throwing for 350 yds and 3 Tds 

Darnold also leads the NFL in INT's...... and they have a better run game

A stat before the lions game was Allen was most pressured QB in the league being hurried or hit within 3 seconds of snap. 60% OF HIS SNAPS he was getting hurried or hit in less than 3 seconds. It led the league... so yes while other times have Oline problems the Bills were literally the worst. The only difference last two weeks is teams started staying home and not as aggressive after Allen burned them on the ground week after week.

Edited by PolishPrince

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Question:  Did Bills receive and decline offers?  I don’t remember hearing about any offers they declined, they were only asking for a 4th.  So not sure they “decided” not to trade him unless someone made an offer and they said no.  

There was lots of assumed speculation Eagles were interested, but I don’t remember any real evidence someone trying to trade for him.  

I could easily be wrong, just didn’t recall them saying they had offers and chose not to trade him.

This is a good point... the Eagles might have been "interested" if it was like a 6-7rd pick. We have no idea what their actual interest level was

Just now, PearlHowardman said:

Darnold looking very Brett Farve like.

:ph34r:

You are right, R Anderson, Enunwa, R. Matthews and Herndon are comparable to: Zay Bricks Jones, Logan "through the hands" Thomas and Jason "two fumbles now killing important drives in redzone" Croom

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

from memory the asking price was a 2nd and 3rd  Anything would have been good just to get rid of the salary  Without a stud OL he's useless

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Anyone with half a brain can see he needs help around him.  I mean he had 2 more dropped TDs today.  And there were several other good throws dropped or terribly played by guys like Zay.  

All true, but the kid played poorly overall. He was advertised as a work in progress and needed the most work of the rook QB class and that looks to be about right. A better line and weapons is a must, but he needs work regardless.

14 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

Can't fix all that on one offseason.

Why can't they?  We have plenty of cap and draft picks to play.  Robert Foster was an UDFA.  We have shown we are willing to trade picks for players.  I think you'll see a lot of new faces all over the map on offense.  I honestly think players will want to play with Allen because of his potential.  

3 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

from memory the asking price was a 2nd and 3rd  Anything would have been good just to get rid of the salary  Without a stud OL he's useless

That was rumor, more reliable report came out the asking price was a 4th.

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

All true, but the kid played poorly overall. He was advertised as a work in progress and needed the most work of the rook QB class and that looks to be about right. A better line and weapons is a must, but he needs work regardless.

For sure, not a finished product.  But there are a lot more positives than negatives each week and with the kid in general.  This kids arrow is pointing sky high.  I mean his team has let him down with drops, and routes, penalties, poor blocking, no run game, etc every week.  He’s the entire offense...and a rookie learning all at the same time.  It’s a lot to ask for a rookie QB to go into NE even on a good team, let alone this rag tag group.  I mean BB is undefeated against rookie QBs in NE and is literally the best ever at confusing them.

So anyone panicking right now and ignoring the body of work since coming back from injury is being foolish.  Perfectly fine for people to not be sold, but it’s silly for anyone to deny this kids upside and potential.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The Bills reportedly wanted a 2nd and 3rd.  The Eagles were looking at a 4th.  If the Bills were only asking for a 4th, the Eagles would have fallen all over themselves to get to the phone.

4 minutes ago, PearlHowardman said:

I am NOT looking forward to what Sam Darnold does in Foxboro next week.  Not at all.

:thumbdown:

Why?  I mean who cares really.  One, not like we had shot to draft him.  Two, he’s playing with more talent around him too.  Plus Pats May rest people.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

The Bills reportedly wanted a 2nd and 3rd.  The Eagles were looking at a 4th.  If the Bills were only asking for a 4th, the Eagles would have fallen all over themselves to get to the phone.

It was widely reported Bills were asking for a 4th only.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Why?  I mean who cares really.  One, not like we had shot to draft him.  Two, he’s playing with more talent around him too.  Plus Pats May rest people.

Link?  The initial reports were 2/3 and that Philly would spend what they did for Ajai...a 4th.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Link?  The initial reports were 2/3 and that Philly would spend what they did for Ajai...a 4th.

That was initial rumors, but all buzz leading into trade deadline was they wanted a 4th.  Of course doesn’t mean that was true either.  Reports are all rumors really.

But I do not recall a single report that Bills ever got an offer from anyone that they declined, again could be wrong just working off what I remember.  Which is why I asked if there was something I wasn’t recalling.  

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

How did the offensive personnel get so bad so quickly? 

McJauron.??

It's still hard to win in the NFL....

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That was initial rumors, but all buzz leading into trade deadline was they wanted a 4th.  Of course doesn’t mean that was true either.  Reports are all rumors really.

But I do not recall a single report that Bills ever got an offer from anyone that they declined, again could be wrong just working off what I remember.  Which is why I asked if there was something I wasn’t recalling.  

When you list your price at 2 and 3 (all reports I saw) and no one offers that, there's nothing to turn down.

I can't imagine the Eagles were offering less than a 4. 

22 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

if those passes are caught he ends up with 200+ yards and 3 tds.

he had a few bad plays but the talent is there.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's still hard to win in the NFL....

When you list your price at 2 and 3 (all reports I saw) and no one offers that, there's nothing to turn down.

I can't imagine the Eagles were offering less than a 4. 

Again, as deadline approaches the last 48 hours, the reports were he could be had for a 4th.  It’s not like the 2nd and a 3rd rumors were confirmed by anyone.  Just saying, there is no evidence I know of where we had a reasonable offer and said no.  So not sure it’s fair to say we made the decision to not trade him if there wasn’t a reasonable offer on the table.

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again, as deadline approaches the last 48 hours, the reports were he could be had for a 4th.  It’s not like the 2nd and a 3rd rumors were confirmed by anyone.  Just saying, there is no evidence I know of where we had a reasonable offer and said no.  So not sure it’s fair to say we made the decision to not trade him if there wasn’t a reasonable offer on the table.

Again, I don't see a report that the Bills were looking for a 4th for McCoy at any time.

29 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Pats will rest no one.  Need win for bye.

37 minutes ago, PearlHowardman said:

I am NOT looking forward to what Sam Darnold does in Foxboro next week.  Not at all.

If they don’t get the W, the stats are meaningless.  Just like today.....

38 minutes ago, PearlHowardman said:

I think Darnold could have a big game because he has a much better group of pass catching RB's, WR's & TE's.  The Patriots were vulnerable today.  Again at the risk of beating a dead horse Allen had at least 3 dropped TD passes and the Crooms fumble robbed the Bills of another TD.  Put almost any other WR/TE group on the field with Allen today and he has 3 - 4 TD passes and it's an entirely different game.

Net, while I'm sure the Hoodie will have something to say about this, Darnold may be the guy to end his mastery of rookie QB's. 

• Like (+1) 2