Matt Barkley extended for two years

jletha

Beware--Barkley will now officially become the knight in shining armor for all those 'wrong josh' members calling for a replacement the moment JA throws his first pick-6. :excl:That said, I love this move by the Bills to lockup the backup spot, plus he's a good guy to boot who doesn't mind helping out the younger #1 as much as he can--quality add! Good job McBeane!    

I like this signing.

He looked like angood fit in Daboll’s offense in his only appearance. He reportedly gets along with Allen very well and has embraced his role on this team. 

Plus, whether related or not, Allen has shown great improvements since both Anderson and Barkley were added to the roster. His development looks on schedule. No reason to mess with whatever is working at the moment. The more stabiility around our rookie QB, the better IMO. 

Congrats Matt! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, cantankerous said:

I don’t see how anyone is excited by this signing. He’s still a terrible QB. Bills’ fans just have the bar set so low...I’m not upset he’s signed on for a few more years, but I’m certainly not excited by this and hope to God he never has to play QB. 

Like I asked Kelly, who, realistically, would you rather have?

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

"You guys" are everyone who thinks this is a good move because of what he showed in his one game, and not in his entire career of crappiness and getting cut seven times. He's just like Peterman, only slightly smarter.

We're all in this together wanting the Bills to win. I don't think this helps them in the long run to win, he's not good enough to win half his games if you need him for a long stretch if your starter goes down.

He had the best game of his career, and I was absolutely thrilled with it, but he has been on six teams for a reason; he's not good enough. And he didn't show in that one game that his death knell doesn't exist.

i agree to an extent to  what you are saying.. and as i am sure you have , living thru joe dufek, as one said, seen it all , like me.. but at this point.. why not? 

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I am still waiting for that answer as well......cant say the jets backup QB he is already spoken for to mentor Darnold

You mean the one who got his ass kicked by the Bills in the same game Barkley shined?

4 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Beware--Barkley will now officially become the knight in shining armor for all those 'wrong josh' members calling for a replacement the moment JA throws his first pick-6. :excl:That said, I love this move by the Bills to lockup the backup spot, plus he's a good guy to boot who doesn't mind helping out the younger #1 as much as he can--quality add! Good job McBeane!    

...so should we anticipate a flood of "start Barkley" threads if Josh puts up a MAJOR stinker?.......I do realize that would be a rare occurrence from TBD expert pundits though....

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I have a fantastic life. Never been lonely. Thanks for playing. 

This is about your earlier comments of Barkley. As far as football knowledge goes you have more than me so correct my thinking.

It seems like there are certain guys who don't make it as a starter, but are competent enough to be a backup for years in the league. IIRC, overtime they can go from awful to decent as a trajectory of their careers. I'm thinking Testaverde, Garcia, Collins, etc... and maybe it's a mistake to lump those three together. Is there any reason to think Barkley can't go from awful to decent by your standards? Could his most recent game be indicative of something between an outlier and him being good now?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so should we anticipate a flood of "start Barkley" threads if Josh puts up a MAJOR stinker?.......I do realize that would be a rare occurrence from TBD expert pundits though....

That is exactly my fear, yes. But I guess we'll just have to cross that troll bridge when we come to it. :) 

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Well if our weekly bi-polar threads of "I'm so done with this team/who needs to be fired and how dare ESPN/PFF/NFL make fun of our team/player" are any indication.....

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

That is exactly my fear, yes. But I guess we'll just have to cross that troll bridge when we come to it. :) 

...just make it a hundred bucks a pop....they won't give up their lunch money......:D

image.thumb.jpeg.2efe950e62bbde819da4f0408481cc98.jpeg

1 minute ago, Reader said:

Well if our weekly bi-polar threads of "I'm so done with this team/who needs to be fired and how dare ESPN/PFF/NFL make fun of our team/player" are any indication.....

...LMAO...in anticipation, I'm doubling my Depends and bourbon stock just in case...............:thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Brace yourselves bills fans we may be going into our first offseason ever with an undisputed starter and solid back up at QB. 

It’s been a long time  

This ^ AND this 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Tend to agree.

The guy was on the street until more than half way through the season and his history is why. He put up one good game in a Bills uniform. 

I hope they draft another young QB this year. 

would make me happy in 2019. Much better than the QB cluster*** we had to start this year.

25 minutes ago, cantankerous said:

I don’t see how anyone is excited by this signing. He’s still a terrible QB. Bills’ fans just have the bar set so low...I’m not upset he’s signed on for a few more years, but I’m certainly not excited by this and hope to God he never has to play QB. 

lol

5 minutes ago, stuvian said:

A day late and a dollar short. If a back up like him had been in camp all along we might still be talking about this year 

Nah better to have had Allen start week 2. I am glad they got Barkley but I would have been pissed if he started every week.

4 minutes ago, stuvian said:

A day late and a dollar short. If a back up like him had been in camp all along we might still be talking about this year 

...similar stats to McCarron with multiple teams versus McCarron with one team.....yet McBeane thought Peterman was ready inexplicably making a quantum leap from a 5th to NFL starter because of rubber bullets in TC and pre-season.....for a HIGHLY coveted 5th?......major, MAJOR gaffe....Anderson bailed him out only yo get his noodle scrambled.....