Josh Gordon Stepping Away from Football in Advance of this Sunday's Game; Returned to the Reserve/Commissioner Suspended List Indefinitely

26CornerBlitz

I feel sorry for the guy. Seems like the ongoing problem is testing positive for weed. He hasn't been creating disturbances in public or harming people (except himself) if I remember correctly. So he has an addictive personality and can't lay off the stuff. It's a real shame that so great a talent has been wasted. 

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

Not against pot- just sayin pot is actually in the class of psychotics/hallucinogens. This may not be the best drug for his mental health. 

On another subject while I completely think pot is harmless for pretty much all NFL players (there's always exceptions). the drug has absolutely no PED qualities.. in fact I'd imagine quite the opposite and it'd be pretty damn hard to focus on minute details like the PLAYBOOK and snap count, and for all intents and purposes should be the players' business using the drug....

I don't find for a second that it helps with pain relief anymore than placebo compared to a legitimate narcotic PAINKILLER which specifically targets pain receptors while marijuana is simply a mind altering drug.. maybe it distracts you from pain I GUESS. Pharmacology of marijuana simply points it to be a psychoactive drug so any percieved effects on pain relief are just that.. percieved lol.

So I don't get the push to allow marijuana in the NFL as a friggin replacement to pain. I just don't think it really needs to be banned since it really does nothing to these players whatsoever other than what they think they are benefitting from it lol. Always found that a weird argument.

Don't ban pot and players will stop taking pain killers?? Nah there's no benign action from the drug in that regard. Just don't ban it cause it doesn't matter and if someone thinks it helps.. cool.. whatever. It really does nothing to your neurotransmitters or body at all as far as modern medicine is supposed to do for ailments. And I know a million people say anecdotally it cures any symptom you can name.. that's just because it's a psychoactive drug that creates a placebo for whatever you want to imagine it benefits you for.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Thinking out loud I just edited that it’s trading a bottom 5th for top of 7th.... so 35-40ish draft slots on day 3? It’s possible they still get the exact guy they end up targeting AND got a starting WR for half a season on a contract for peanuts. Again, even in this worst case, was it really a loss for them? Erase all the upside and it’s not a terrible deal.

Not to disagree to much, but you were probably closer with the 60 picks than 35-40.  Cleveland is mid round and NE will be 15 picks or so later.  

So 5th to 6th is 32 picks plus 5th round comps (5 or so). Then the rest of the 6th and those Comp picks ( another 5 or so). So if Cleveland is 15 and NE ends up 27th you would have 32 picks + 5 (end of rd 5) + 15 (rd 7) + comp picks - about 55 - 70 picks or so.

I do not think it is a loss other than the fact they have counted on him being there and now he is gone.  They could have made a different move and maybe had not given up a pick and had someone for the rest of the season.

It ends up being low risk and very low reward for them.

4 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I would be more sympathetic if he had stepped away for his mental health if he was not being suspended.  If not caught, he would have continued on with no concern.

We don't know how he violated the terms and with the Patriots still behind him it doesn't sound like he was "caught".

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not to disagree to much, but you were probably closer with the 60 picks than 35-40.  Cleveland is mid round and NE will be 15 picks or so later.  

So 5th to 6th is 32 picks plus 5th round comps (5 or so). Then the rest of the 6th and those Comp picks ( another 5 or so). So if Cleveland is 15 and NE ends up 27th you would have 32 picks + 5 (end of rd 5) + 15 (rd 7) + comp picks - about 55 - 70 picks or so.

I do not think it is a loss other than the fact they have counted on him being there and now he is gone.  They could have made a different move and maybe had not given up a pick and had someone for the rest of the season.

It ends up being low risk and very low reward for them.

Ah yea, comps- I always forget to add those in! But yea, point generally remains, little given and some gotten. If you take out the “told you so” factor it’s a pretty reasonable move even knowing the outcome.

if they had other better options, I’m not sure I saw them and we were as WR hungry as it gets.

6 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

On another subject while I completely think pot is harmless for pretty much all NFL players (there's always exceptions). the drug has absolutely no PED qualities.. in fact I'd imagine quite the opposite and it'd be pretty damn hard to focus on minute details like the PLAYBOOK and snap count, and for all intents and purposes should be the players' business using the drug....

I don't find for a second that it helps with pain relief anymore than placebo compared to a legitimate narcotic PAINKILLER which specifically targets pain receptors while marijuana is simply a mind altering drug.. maybe it distracts you from pain I GUESS. Pharmacology of marijuana simply points it to be a psychoactive drug so any percieved effects on pain relief are just that.. percieved lol.

So I don't get the push to allow marijuana in the NFL as a friggin replacement to pain. I just don't think it really needs to be banned since it really does nothing to these players whatsoever other than what they think they are benefitting from it lol. Always found that a weird argument.

Don't ban pot and players will stop taking pain killers?? Nah there's no benign action from the drug in that regard. Just don't ban it cause it doesn't matter and if someone thinks it helps.. cool.. whatever. It really does nothing to your neurotransmitters or body at all as far as modern medicine is supposed to do for ailments. And I know a million people say anecdotally it cures any symptom you can name.. that's just because it's a psychoactive drug that creates a placebo for whatever you want to imagine it benefits you for.

This is like the Seantrel Henderson debate.  Regardless of what you think about pit, it’s a substance on the NFL ‘s banned list.  

When you are making millions of dollars and have teammates depending on you, you don’t take drugs that are on the NFL’s banned list w/o consulting team or league doctors.  

Its just bad business.  If it is a problem with addiction then good for him for stepping away and getting help.  But this is not a debate over marijuana, it’s an issue of a player repeatedly banned substances.

3 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

This is like the Seantrel Henderson debate.  Regardless of what you think about pit, it’s a substance on the NFL ‘s banned list.  

When you are making millions of dollars and have teammates depending on you, you don’t take drugs that are on the NFL’s banned list w/o consulting team or league doctors.  

Its just bad business.  If it is a problem with addiction then good for him for stepping away and getting help.  But this is not a debate over marijuana, it’s an issue of a player repeatedly banned substances.

Or something else related to reinstatement (missed test? Missed mandatory counseling? I don’t know his terms- not that it matters much in “you have a handful of things to do and didn’t do it”)

3 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I'm aware.. that's why i prefaced with "on another subject..."

just some musings that's all.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks for sharing that.  I'm going to put you down as 'undecided' then. ;)

Hah. Well, I know that post sounded silly but thought it might be helpful for many people to know they don’t HAVE to take a position on everything, especially on things they don’t really know much about. 

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He smokes pot and is using mental health as an excuse. One of the reasons people struggle recognizing mental health as a legit issue is the guys like this who will use it as a crutch. 

Ummmm. A large proportion of people who habitually use drugs usually do so due to mental health reasons. It’s called self-treatment. And, I don’t think there’s really many people who still “struggle” to recognize the mental health as a “legit issue” considering suicide rates are increasing, but if there still are, hopefully they can find a time machine to make it back to from 1950.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

I would be more sympathetic if he had stepped away for his mental health if he was not being suspended.  If not caught, he would have continued on with no concern.

...and making the announcement was not going to preemptively earn leniency from Judge Goodell.......it's a condition of employment regardless of legality in some states.......at the same time, I do not agree with random ttesting in the off season which is the individual's time AWAY from employment and it should be their prerogative whether legal in the home state or not....then again the NFL gets to set the rules of "privileged membership" afforded to only 1,696................