So I put in an offer on a house today

Kirby Jackson

20 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Ain't all of NOLA one big jacuzzi?

"8 feet below sea level, protected by dikes and serviced by ferries."

Just kidding Kirby congrats! 

Kirby... I just checked the map.  You are right next to the levee.  I went on the map and checked out where the flood gates and pumping stations are!  That's a storm canal that pumps directly to the Pontchartrain.

In all seriousness... That's all new infrastructure since Katrina, right?  Who maintains the levees, pumps, mows, keeps vegetation down, etc?  From the satellite view, it looks like a lot went into the area after Katrina.

That storm channel, from the looks of it has three pumping stations.  Handles some of the city.  The massive one at mouth of channel @ Lake Pontchartrain is huge.

The dikes of NOLA may resent you.

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, it was a lot!! It was all of my banking, tax returns, w-2’s, investments, pay stubs, license, etc...I sent it all and then shredded it.

Did you use Anthony Weiner's computer?

• Haha (+1) 2

On 12/18/2018 at 8:40 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

This is a total LAMP post but I’m excited. I’m recently single (after 10 years) and it’s something that I’ve been thinking about. This will (hopefully) be my first house. I will find out by tomorrow.

Batchelor house!?!? When is the party?

Nice house.  Wood floors are a great touch as well as granite countertops in the kitchen.  Looks easy to take care of, so that's a bonus.  You'll like owning a home come tax time...one of the few tax 'shelters' left.  Congrats and hope all works out for you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:40 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

This is a total LAMP post but I’m excited. I’m recently single (after 10 years) and it’s something that I’ve been thinking about. This will (hopefully) be my first house. I will find out by tomorrow.

Congratulations. However, before you close on your house make sure you have a snake inspection. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=giant+snakes&&view=detail&mid=5457F59C5B6D2EEDB0745457F59C5B6D2EEDB074&&FORM=VDRVRV

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Congratulations. However, before you close on your house make sure you have a snake inspection. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=giant+snakes&&view=detail&mid=5457F59C5B6D2EEDB0745457F59C5B6D2EEDB074&&FORM=VDRVRV

Already been ordered. It’s a couple hundred bucks extra but people say it’s worth it.

On 12/18/2018 at 7:40 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Good luck with being a land baron.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Nice house.  Wood floors are a great touch as well as granite countertops in the kitchen.  Looks easy to take care of, so that's a bonus.  You'll like owning a home come tax time...one of the few tax 'shelters' left.  Congrats and hope all works out for you.

Looks more like marble counters. Not sure, it could be quartz or just about anything....but @Kirby Jackson needs to look into the maintenance. We have granite but I’ve not had marble. A buddy had it in his master bath and was very upset when he didn’t know to get it sealed every so often and he got water marks.  Beautiful, just know the surface and how to maintain it. 

But as noted above, get through till closing. New construction unlikely to have many surprises, but I’ve seen some crazy stuff happen in decades of banking and real estate experience. Funny one, a guy got cold feet on a purchase, but he was committed with $30k in earnest money to lose if he backed out. He went out and leased a Mercedes for like $950/month so his debt/income ratio no longer qualified, so he got out based upon the financing contingency. A good friend/client was a real estate attorney who’s closing instructions asked for “cash or certified funds”. I mobster bought in suitcases full with $450k in CASH! He changed his closing instructions after that. He also was under FBI protection until he could testify in court. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/19/2018 at 5:57 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Under contract!!

congrats!

i'm a bit jealous after reading the tax situation....  

YEAR PROPERTY TAXES   TAX ASSESSMENT  
2017 $231   $1,500

certainly isn't NY taxes :lol:

• Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Foxx said:

congrats!

i'm a bit jealous after reading the tax situation....  

YEAR PROPERTY TAXES   TAX ASSESSMENT  
2017 $231   $1,500

certainly isn't NY taxes :lol:

That certainly won’t be his tax situation after it gets revalued in the system from vacant lot in sketchy area to new house in up and coming area 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

That certainly won’t be his tax situation after it gets revalued in the system from vacant lot in sketchy area to new house in up and coming area 

Haha! Aren’t You just a ray of damn sunshine! (My wife has said that to me a thousand times, so I had to use it once.) In Florida if you homestead your property taxes can only go up 2-3%/year. Some people (with bad realtors) get a shock. If the sellers have been in there 20 years, their taxes might be just $2,500, but yours might jump to $25,000!!!

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

Haha! Aren’t You just a ray of damn sunshine! (My wife has said that to me a thousand times, so I had to use it once.) In Florida if you homestead your property taxes can only go up 2-3%/year. Some people (with bad realtors) get a shock. If the sellers have been in there 20 years, their taxes might be just $2,500, but yours might jump to $25,000!!!

Itll still be rather friendly. But not $200 a year. 

Kirb will get the first $75k in value tax free with the homestead exemption but we’re talking like $2k not $200 (real bar-napkin is pull the $75k if you get the exemption then it’s 1% ish)

the table he was referencing reflected a $15k valuation 

Edited by NoSaint