So I put in an offer on a house today

Kirby Jackson

54 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Fairmont, a few blocks from Target on Genny. Do you do inspections, or home repairs?

No.  We put an offer on a house in LIverpool in Sept but after the inspection we backed out.   Probably needed a roof in 3 years and definitely needed chimney work now.  That was just the big items.

Kirby, how goes the process? I hope you gave everything plenty of time during the holiday season....when very little happens.  Hoping it’s smooth so far, and you have plenty of time for everything! 

I got out of banking because I enjoyed real estate so much (my parents were with a developer when I was a kid), and for some reason I’m strangely excited about this. Nice house. 

14 hours ago, Augie said:

Kirby, how goes the process? I hope you gave everything plenty of time during the holiday season....when very little happens.  Hoping it’s smooth so far, and you have plenty of time for everything! 

I got out of banking because I enjoyed real estate so much (my parents were with a developer when I was a kid), and for some reason I’m strangely excited about this. Nice house. 

Had the inspection on Wednesday. There were some items that needed to be finished but nothing major. We asked them to complete all of it because it’s new construction. My realtor said a lot of these things wouldn’t be asked for on an older house but since it’s new we will ask for all of it. We are still on schedule to close on the 18th. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Had the inspection on Wednesday. There were some items that needed to be finished but nothing major. We asked them to complete all of it because it’s new construction. My realtor said a lot of these things wouldn’t be asked for on an older house but since it’s new we will ask for all of it. We are still on schedule to close on the 18th. 

Appreciate the update.

Kirby, Congratulations. 

I hope you don't think that I am prying but I'm curious about your insurance. In your area is your flood insurance bought through a private insurer or is it bought through a government flood insurance program? In New Orleans is there a flood zone or is the region considered a flood zone? 

Good luck with the house. And don't forget that you were born a Yankee so don't let the Confederates get away with harassing  you. ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

Kirby, Congratulations. 

I hope you don't think that I am prying but I'm curious about your insurance. In your area is your flood insurance bought through a private insurer or is it bought through a government flood insurance program? In New Orleans is there a flood zone or is the region considered a flood zone? 

Good luck with the house. And don't forget that you were born a Yankee so don't let the Confederates get away with harassing  you. ?

My flood zone is X (which is good). My neighborhood was hit pretty hard during Katrina but a lot has changed there since. All flood insurance is through the NFIP. I think that it ends up being like $50 a month. 

On 12/20/2018 at 10:15 PM, Just Jack said:

And now, first good rain, I can hear what sounds like a slow drip in the ceiling. I love owning a home. 

I had my roof done after thirty years with no leaks.  Now, a year and a half later, I just noticed water dripping down the front of the fireplace chimney.  On Wednesday I will be calling the roofer. Let the games begin!

• Sad 1

On 12/20/2018 at 9:03 PM, NoSaint said:

Itll still be rather friendly. But not $200 a year. 

Kirb will get the first $75k in value tax free with the homestead exemption but we’re talking like $2k not $200 (real bar-napkin is pull the $75k if you get the exemption then it’s 1% ish)

the table he was referencing reflected a $15k valuation 

What's the homestead credit y'all get?