The Trump Shutdown

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You're telling me that we were tricked into believing a guy would get the funding to construct approximately a 22 billion dollar wall all the way along the Southern border that goes through private land American Indian land (hello legal battles) and mountains with an annual estimated maintenance fee of 750 million dollars?  I don't buy it.

And it's the perfect leverage wedge issue that in 2020 will still be an issue that can fuel his base to vote for him because erhhe Democrats just won't work with him and he won't be Obama and just run by EO.  Damn, Schumer and Nancy are gonna keep America from being great!!!!!!

It's a smart political play: us vs them.  Obama did it better, though.

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You're telling me that we were tricked into believing a guy would get the funding to construct approximately a 22 billion dollar wall all the way along the Southern border that goes through private land American Indian land (hello legal battles) and mountains with an annual estimated maintenance fee of 750 million dollars? I don't buy it.

No, I'm not saying that at all.  Believing a guy would get the funding to construct approximately a 22 billion dollar wall all the way along the Southern border that goes through private land American Indian land (hello legal battles) and mountains with an annual estimated maintenance fee of 750 million dollars isn't "being tricked."  It's being stupid.

NOT REALLY SHOCKING: 

Shock Report: 86% Of Government Spending Is Now On Autopilot.

The new report from the Government Accountability Office — a federal auditing agency — shows that of the $3.7 trillion the federal government spent in 2015, $3.2 trillion of it didn’t require authorization by Congress that year. In other words, Congress only specifically approved 14% of what the federal government spent that year.

Over the years, Congress has passed laws that allow federal spending without any annual congressional approval. The biggest chunk is for so-called “entitlement programs” like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and welfare. Congress provided these programs with “permanent appropriations.” Spending levels are set automatically, based on eligibility rules and benefit amounts.

Over the years, this kind of autopilot spending authority exploded from $1.7 trillion in 1994 to $3.2 trillion by 2015. That’s an 87% increase, after adjusting for inflation.

The US population has increased by 24% since 1994, so “autopilot spending” per capita — again, mostly entitlements — has increased by nearly 66%.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, B-Man said:

NOT REALLY SHOCKING: 

Shock Report: 86% Of Government Spending Is Now On Autopilot.

The new report from the Government Accountability Office — a federal auditing agency — shows that of the $3.7 trillion the federal government spent in 2015, $3.2 trillion of it didn’t require authorization by Congress that year. In other words, Congress only specifically approved 14% of what the federal government spent that year.

Over the years, Congress has passed laws that allow federal spending without any annual congressional approval. The biggest chunk is for so-called “entitlement programs” like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and welfare. Congress provided these programs with “permanent appropriations.” Spending levels are set automatically, based on eligibility rules and benefit amounts.

Over the years, this kind of autopilot spending authority exploded from $1.7 trillion in 1994 to $3.2 trillion by 2015. That’s an 87% increase, after adjusting for inflation.

The US population has increased by 24% since 1994, so “autopilot spending” per capita — again, mostly entitlements — has increased by nearly 66%.

Aging population. Those old Conservative voters just keep sucking up more of the nation's resources

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Aging population. Those old Conservative voters just keep sucking up more of the nation's resources

Silver lining.  They are offing themselves more:

https://www.ajc.com/news/gun-deaths-highest-level-years-cdc-says/vgcdQWPITScDYEdpHrswBP/amp.html

And they had drugs in their systems:

“Those individuals that do complete suicides -- when autopsies are performed, (they) definitely have one or more substances in their bodies at the time of the suicide death,” Cauffield said. 

She said those who take their own lives tend to fit the same demographic.

“We are seeing a real rise in suicides, particularly males age 60 and higher,” Cauffield said.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

This could be about something else, but I'm guessing not.

Alerts on my phone from the WAPO said she has already announced no shutdown...and not sure where to put it but also Trump Foundation being shut down over tons of illegal activity

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Alerts on my phone from the WAPO said she has already announced no shutdown...and not sure where to put it but also Trump Foundation being shut down over tons of illegal activity

I hate to link to cnn but I saw it elsewhere, so I figure it must be true...

Trump Foundation agrees to dissolve under court supervision

The Donald J. Trump Foundation has agreed to dissolve under judicial supervision amid an ongoing lawsuit concerning its finances, according to a document filed Tuesday in Manhattan Supreme Court by the New York state Attorney General's office.

The dissolution of President Donald Trump's charity resolves one element of the attorney general's civil lawsuit against the foundation, which includes claims that the President and his children violated campaign finance laws and abused its tax-exempt status. The lawsuit will continue in court because it also seeks two other outcomes: $2.8 million in restitution, plus penalties, and a ban on Trump and his three eldest children serving on the board of any other New York nonprofit.

</snip>

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I hate to link to cnn but I saw it elsewhere, so I figure it must be true...

...and a ban on Trump and his three eldest children serving on the board of any other New York nonprofit.

</snip>

Hit 'em where it hurts: their ability to work for free.  

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The military budget (that he had asked to be increased) will build and fund it would be my guess.

Could be. I actually think almost everyone is OK with the wall , I know I am. I just don’t think it is the only answer to our immigration issues. 

Trump lost this fight because of his words, not because of the wall