Bills defense is overrated.

tuckan

7 hours ago, Augie said:

And my apologies to you if I jumped on you in the flood of....”Eyorism”. People tend to overreact with every loss. I’d been hearing it all day long. Big picture, I’m good as long as Josh keeps improving. If he fails, I’d still give this FO another crack in time for another QB, as I like the direction (despite what others whine about). QB is a crap shoot. Period. But I will hold out hope we’ve got ours! 

We have our QB.  That is to say he has the potential to be a championship level QB.  Now will the Bills develop him and nurture him in the correct way?  Time will tell....

6 hours ago, Augie said:

Hey, to be clear, I was NOT implying you were part of the Eyore flood, it was just that point in time. 

No worries.

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And while I agree that a lot of OLB snaps are lost to nickel CB's nowadays.........I think they can find a way to keep him on the field all the time.   

He may not be able to improve his instincts at MLB but he can hone his skills as a pass rusher and in man coverage.    Those positions tend to be more about physical gifts and developing them.   

I completely agree. If a linebacker is gifted enough he will see the field, even in this passing league. LBs Mack and Smith on the Bears are so good that it is scary. Those two are both modern LBs and throwbacks at the same time imo and worth the price of admission.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

The average drive start for the Jets was close to midfield. 

You arent going to give up a lot of yards with this being the case. 

A good chunk of that yardage came on the Jets last two drives when the Bills defense couldn't get off the field. 

I agree with the OP. They are overrated by a lot of fans here. They are a solid unit, but a great one? Not even close.

Need to upgrade the pass rush and find a better way to approach the 3rd down situations. Because they suck at getting off the field on 3rd down.

I agree that they played on a short field but even with that the Jets only had 20 points right up until the last drive. The long pass over Tre Whites shoulder was just a perfect throw and catch. While frustrating for sure, there wasn’t much he could do about it. 

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The average drive start for the Jets was close to midfield. 

You arent going to give up a lot of yards with this being the case. 

A good chunk of that yardage came on the Jets last two drives when the Bills defense couldn't get off the field. 

I agree with the OP. They are overrated by a lot of fans here. They are a solid unit, but a great one? Not even close.

Need to upgrade the pass rush and find a better way to approach the 3rd down situations. Because they are probably a middle of that pack defense at getting off the field on 3rd down.

Getting another good pass rusher in here will help.

They are 12th in the league in 3rd down%. So not that bad really. 

I think the main thing separating them from solid to very good is the pass rush you talked about. They are actually tenth in the nfl in sacks. But it’s too hot and cold. They come in spurts. No consistency. 

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Time of possession depends on many things, including number of drives, amount of time they hold on to the ball, etc. 

The D is tied for facing the 7th most drives, they're 2nd in the league in terms of yards allowed per drive, best in the league in fewest plays allowed per drive and 2nd in terms of time of possession allowed per drive.

Fair enough, maybe, to say they're not great but they're damn good.

Those are good stats to counter overall time of possession and I'm always ready to accept new data.

Nevertheless, the DATA shows that the RZ defense sucks and I'm not buying the "tired" argument as an excuse for that.

And I think we all agree that the defense is good. Great they are not.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Getting another good pass rusher in here will help.

Been saying that all season.

Huges is a nice pass rusher, but getting long in the tooth. Lorax is a nice player, but he's OLD.

If we're gonna continue to play Frazier ball, we damn well better get another player in the front four that can create pressure without blitzing because Frazier is allergic to it.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I agree that they played on a short field but even with that the Jets only had 20 points right up until the last drive. 

Isn't that kind of like saying the Bills were winning right up until that last drive?

Unfortunately, that last drive counted.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It was a nice throw from Darnold.

Some posters already mentioned it, but the 3rd down TD to Anderson should've never happened when Kyle Williams for whatever reason dove at Darnolds legs when he had no shot at him. If he simply stayed on his feet and contained him there is no TD there. 

Same goes for the 4th down TD for the Jets.

Edmunds, who counties to struggle at the MLB position completely overplayed the run and missed a golden opportunity to stuff them and prevent go ahead TD.

Sounds about right.

And agreed. Need another pass rusher opposite Hughes or perhaps inside. 

Everyone wants to go offense in the first round this year, but I guarantee BPA is going to be a pass rushing defensive lineman. Take him, whoever it is, IMO.

I understand the impulse, but I think they're basically OK on d-line next season and desperately need offensive talent. In a perfect world, they'd trade back in the first and get an extra second, and in order take OT (1st), WR (2nd), D-line (2nd), CB (third round), TE (fourth), RB (fourth),  G/C (5th), WR (5th), S (6th) and BPA after that. 

Is the defense the best defense in the league? No. Is the defense a top 10 unit in the league? Yes. Is the defense a top 5 unit in the league? Arguable. The defense to me ranks somewhere in the 4-8 range. Its a dam good unit maybe even a borderline elite unit, however it is not the best in the league. I think there is much potential as the young players get their wings this season to take the unit into next year and with an upgrade at one or two positions and some depth additions the defense can be firmly in the top 3 units in the league. 

16 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Is the defense the best defense in the league? No. Is the defense a top 10 unit in the league? Yes. Is the defense a top 5 unit in the league? Arguable. The defense to me ranks somewhere in the 4-8 range. Its a dam good unit maybe even a borderline elite unit, however it is not the best in the league. I think there is much potential as the young players get their wings this season to take the unit into next year and with an upgrade at one or two positions and some depth additions the defense can be firmly in the top 3 units in the league. 

you have watched all 32 teams and can form a ranking based off this?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you have watched all 32 teams and can form a ranking based off this?

I have watched all 32 teams play this season in at least one game so I have at least given the eyeball test to each team once. You can look at defensive stats and defensive analytics to compare how the Bills grade out generally. I feel confident in saying that there aren't 10 defensive units better than the Bills. Right now I would say that the Bears, Cowboys, and Ravens defenses are better than the Bills. Then there are about 4-5 that are in that arguable similar range. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Joeziehmer said:

Special teams is terrible and McDermott has not made any calls on firing Danny Crossman.  Or making room for any changes or adjustments nepotism is a hard pill to swallow for Bills fans.  

McDermott isn't going to throw the guy under the bus. He isn't that kind of guy. There is little to be gained by firing him right now. Wait until the offseason and try to get a guy like Dave Toub to jump ship or maybe Joe DeCamillis when the Jaguars staff gets blown up. 

33 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

McDermott isn't going to throw the guy under the bus. He isn't that kind of guy. There is little to be gained by firing him right now. Wait until the offseason and try to get a guy like Dave Toub to jump ship or maybe Joe DeCamillis when the Jaguars staff gets blown up. 

People kind of forget with 3 games left there is very little a coaching change can accomplish. A coach has 3 weeks to implement new techniques and schemes, that just isn't likely to do much if anything. A change early in the season at least offers the team a chance to change scheme with months to turn things around. If this team was in a playoff push I would say they should fire the ST coach as you have to try and do something even if it is on the margins. But there is no need for such a worthless move in a lost season. Fire the coach in the off-season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Is the defense the best defense in the league? No. Is the defense a top 10 unit in the league? Yes. Is the defense a top 5 unit in the league? Arguable. The defense to me ranks somewhere in the 4-8 range. Its a dam good unit maybe even a borderline elite unit,

No.  It's not.

This borderline elite D gave up 4th Q TD drives of 11 plays/85 yards and 9 plays/61 yards---against the NY Jets----to lose the game.

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No.  It's not.

This borderline elite D gave up 4th Q TD drives of 11 plays/85 yards and 9 plays/61 yards---against the NY Jets----to lose the game.

True for sure but what are you comparing them to? Some fantasy dream?  Go ahead and look at the other defenses this past weekend.