YoloinOhio

Lorax - should he be extended?

I wonder if he would have an interest in coaching post-career. He seems to like the media stuff and may not want the time commitment of coaching, but I think he would be really good. Especially having experience at so many different positions and schemes. 

Yes, but the Bills need to be careful about the kind of contract they offer him.  A multi-year deal with lots of guaranteed money ought to get them pause.  A one or two year deal would be fine with a modest signing bonus.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I still think it’s crazy that he has a daughter older than Tremaine Edmunds 

He and Dahlin have Shirley temples at the Pegula holiday party 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha 1

For sure. He is playing exactly where he should which is as a 2 down SAM and a nickel pass rusher. He does a lot of very nice things for our defense and special teams. I know a lot of people aren't into intangible stuff, but teh leadership and mentoring he offers is worth every penny, and he can still play at a high level. 

• Like 1

1. Yes

2. I get the “Lorax” nickname, but honestly when I hear Lorax I think of bearded Ryan Fitzpatrick. That dude definitley speaks for the trees. 

• Like 1

Yes.  (1) LORAX is like James Harrison.  He's playing his best ball in his 30's ;and (2) he can help our defensive Josh Allen (who may be BPA when we draft) get acclimated to the NFL!  Or whoever we draft for OLB. 

Edited by RyanC883

I've been pleasantly surprised with Lorax this year; considering his age I thought he might fall off a cliff.  Quite the opposite, he's playing his best football ever.

I hope they do sign him.  Agree with the sentiment that he provides a veteran presence and value on ST on top of his defensive performance.  Even if he takes a step back he's of tremendous value for those two reasons, assuming he doesn't ask for a truckload of money (doesn't seem the type, will probably be happy with a "fair" contract assuming he still wants to play).  Of course, try to draft/sign his eventual replacement, but keep him if he's interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wonder if he would have an interest in coaching post-career. He seems to like the media stuff and may not want the time commitment of coaching, but I think he would be really good. Especially having experience at so many different positions and schemes. 

good point.  If not, I could see him being an announcer.  Would be nice to have a defensive guy in the broadcast booth.  Most seem to be offensive guys lately. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

UFA this year, age 35

Why not.   Make him a fair offer.   If he loved Buffalo he'll stay.  

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

No doubt.

What was he, 14 when she was conceived?

I was just starting to learn about my junk and what it could do at that age.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He wasn't signed for his fit in Rex's scheme he was signed for his special teams play. Then Shaq went down, Manny Lawson struggled and had a PED issue and suddenly Lorax was in.

I was for cutting him last year because as an off the ball backer in this scheme going sideline to sideline he struggled. They hit on the way to use him effectively in that playoff game in Jacksonville and he has been lights out this year. If he wants a 1 year extension I'd give him one.

I felt the same way. Alexander did not look that good last year.

Then we get to the Jacksonville game and he played his best game of the season.

Since then he has been playing outstanding and he's a great leader.

I understand that he's not an every down player, but I would love to see the Bills give him a new contract.

I would give him another 2 year deal. He would be worth it, and if we do draft another linebacker, it would be great to have him there as a teacher and to hold the position down until said new linebacker is ready.

I suspect that he will be a huge priority in the off-season. Alexander is a leader on and off the field and probably  a favorite of McD's. A guy that gets "the process".

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Where's my 'wow' emocon…? 

Give him another year for the money he is on now...around $3M..

Us optimists think the team might be playoff bound next year and he deserves to be a part of that campaign..

Lorax should be brought back. I think he will probably command about 6 million a year and would be easily worth it. Dude has 6.5 sacks with 4 games left to play and he plays at the LB position for a lot of snaps. He also is by all accounts a great locker room guy and adds tremendous versatility to the defense being able to anchor the line backer position and play DE and DT in pass rushing situations. 

NOOOO!

He's eating up a roster spot that could be had by a younger, more athletic player.

If he can be had for vet minimum, I wouldn't hate it. The main thing this defense is lacking is another edge rusher opposite Hughes. We need a younger, more athletic version of Lorax. I think that'll help us out quite a bit in the RZ, where the D has struggled mightily.

I'm over Lorax the football player.

• Confused 1