Lorax - should he be extended?

YoloinOhio

DUH !! Sorry ? But the guy said he wants to retire a Buffalo Bill if that isn't a direct line message toMcBean i don't know what is .

This guy & Kyle are the heart of the D & both should be at the very least be given a good offer to come back & be in the rotation if they don't feel they can still play a lot of snaps !!

Plus Lorax gave the Bills one heck of a contract because he wanted to stay here given what he did the year prior to them re upping him so that in it self i think he needs to be rewarded with another decent contract to show the new rookies how a true vet does it !! 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, and I'd be sneaky with the pay though we have cap room.  I don't know if we will spent all $90mm in cap or not - but I know they can always do that 2 year structure payout on a 1 year deal that I'd be fine to do because id like to go hard at OL

You can never have too many of these team players, he is a leader in the locker room, a special teams standout and makes plenty of plays on defense, I see no reason why the Bills and Lorax wouldn't come to another 1-2 year agreement unless he's asking for an outrageous pay increase which i don't forsee at 35 years of age.

Since he has now stated that he is only looking to go year to year, this becomes very clean. His numbers are good and probably the most important thing for an older player, he was still playing well at the end of the season. He played in all 16 games and compared to 2017 he had better stats in most categories (sacks, Int, passes defended, tackles for loss; almost all but forced fumbles).

On the other hand time catches up quicker than you expect. So... his salary in 2018 was basically $3.1M considering bonuses. What is fair for 2019? Looking at the increased cap and weighing against his increased age, I would go in around $3M. Yes there is a risk that he hits the wall but the loss in that case is not even as bad as the risk we took on Corey Coleman. We ate $3.5M in cap and a 7th rd pick on that. So, something in the $3M range, give or take a little, seems like a no-brainer??

On 12/6/2018 at 7:18 AM, YoloinOhio said:

UFA this year, age 35

Yes, especially with Kyle retiring. 

Kyle hemmed and made general statements about who would take over his leadership on D, but eventually named 'Zo. 

He's the kind of "can do, will do, give it all every down" player we need as an example for the Youth Movement.

1 minute ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Yes .. he is the Leadership Bridge from Kyle for this young defense ... his hit on Sunday on Drake ... clearly shows there a ton left in the tank.

He has shown it all year , he doesn't have the miles on him that a regular 35 year old would. He only started playing regularly in 2015 . 

Get him signed Immediately .

• Like (+1) 1

The easiest part about this decision is his leadership and team-first focus. If his play declines (a real possibility at his age), we know he will shift to a mentor role and continue to contribute. Bring this guy back until he proves he can't do it anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

KW's decision to retire has really made this an easy call for Beane. I wouldn't have been opposed to re-signing both, but it would have given the FO something to think about. With the new direction of the team, do you really want to use two front 7 D roster spots on players 35+? Again, not saying I wouldn't want both back, but it would have been debatable. Everyone is focused on offense and rightfully so, but I'm really hoping they add a dynamic edge player either in FA'cy or the draft.